Hot start questions

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
pushrod
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Hot start questions

Postby pushrod » Sun Sep 30 2018, 03:34

Hello all,

just after some information on hot starts, specifically does a hot start count as an accident or incident on your aviation record and how damaging is it to have an insurance record of a hot start on your licenses? Do many company refuse to hire pilot who have hot starts on their record?

cheers in advance
Fill-level
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Hot start questions

Postby Fill-level » Sun Sep 30 2018, 04:37

All depends on the companies safety management system, and who it was reported to.
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Sun Sep 30 2018, 08:33

How hot did it go?
Hovering

Postby Hovering » Sun Sep 30 2018, 08:42

pop;
Last edited by Hovering on Sun Sep 30 2018, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
pushrod
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby pushrod » Sun Sep 30 2018, 08:53

whole new engine for the jetranger hot
Fill-level
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Fill-level » Sun Sep 30 2018, 09:11

Do you want to elaborate on how it happened ?
Hovering

Postby Hovering » Sun Sep 30 2018, 09:18

:roll:
Last edited by Hovering on Sun Sep 30 2018, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
pushrod
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby pushrod » Sun Sep 30 2018, 09:21

Not really I don't want this to turn into a stupid argument about hot starts and I'm not at liberty to discuss the event in detail. It was a mechanical failure that could not have been prevented once the start commenced.
Fill-level
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Fill-level » Sun Sep 30 2018, 09:25

If it was a mechanical failure, then there shouldn't be an issue
pushrod
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby pushrod » Sun Sep 30 2018, 09:36

An issue? I'm still the PIC and will still be held responsible for the start, Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have a crash from a mechanical failure you still get an accident history even if the failure was 100% impossible to predict?
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sun Sep 30 2018, 10:54

It was a mechanical failure that could not have been prevented once the start commenced.

I'm still the PIC and will still be held responsible for the start

Geez, mate, unless it was something that you should have detected on your preflight, or showed up during your pre-start checks, how the heck can you be responsible for a mechanical failure that could not be prevented?

As i recall, if it looked like going hot, shut the throttle and motor the engine, fuel valve off, keep the finger on the start button while unstrapping the seat belts and opening the door, then battery off and run like crazy.

(Does "not responsible" mean irresponsible?)
Sadflute

Postby Sadflute » Sun Sep 30 2018, 11:51

Can you elaborate and on this “aviation record” ???
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Sun Sep 30 2018, 19:07

I wouldt be too worried about a hot start mate if it was out of your control.
Friendly Black Dog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Friendly Black Dog » Sun Sep 30 2018, 20:31

Beyond your control is beyond your control.

Are you being requested to pay any excess associated with the insurance claim?

I’d say you’re ok.

FBD
Jabberwocky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Sep 30 2018, 21:14

The only people who will care are the ones who have to pay for it (but circumstances should govern their reactions depending on how it happened), people you trained with who haven’t progressed to a turbine yet and people in the industry’s who also haven’t achieved it. Everyone else has probably done it or something else close and realised mistakes are expensive in this job.

People do make mistakes and s#!t does also happen, and one day that could be you who’s getting the finger pointed at them. So as you grow and do more, you manage to get yourself closer to that point of having an incident or accident. It’s what you do with that luck in and after those instances that will either decrease or increase the chances of similar mishaps in the future.

If you did the right thing, don’t sweat it. Learn from it and be open with others about (as you already have been here).
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sun Sep 30 2018, 21:25

Sadflute wrote:Can you elaborate and on this “aviation record” ???

My guess he/she is referring to making a full disclosure when he/she goes for the next job, "Have you had any accidents or incidents?"
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Mon Oct 1 2018, 04:03

The worst thing you can be held accountable for with a hot start ( or any other wish it hadn’t happened moment) is not to tell anyone.
Be open and honest and don’t make a habit of it.
It won’t effect your record,never heard of hot starts being recorded on a pilots record, not officially anyway.
Be dishonest and tell a few porkys and it will follow you wherever you go by reputation.
Everyone has the odd whoopsy, it’s how you handle is the how you are judged.
UnObvious
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby UnObvious » Mon Oct 1 2018, 04:56

Everyone messes up once in a while mate. You've done the right thing by fessing up. Keep doing what you're doing and learn from it. No one is going to hold it against you in the future, if anything they might think higher of you for being honest.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Oct 1 2018, 09:45

Everyone makes mistakes. Don’t sweat it so much.

I had a ‘possible hot start’ in a remote camp at the end of an islet on the West Coast of Canada in a 500D many years ago in early winter. I’d mentioned to the engineers previously that the idle release collar was getting stiff and also that battery was getting ‘tired’...

Anywho, one cold morning with minus temperatures and lots of snow, the space heater for the cockpit and battery had shorted out and the machine was cold soaked. With no other options a start was attempted.

As bad luck would have it, the collar ‘stuck’ once the engine lit off after the battery barely made 13-14% Ng. It was one of those now or never moments. The engine accelerated quickly and peaked at what appeared to be around 930-940C on those old, tiny TOT gauges. Some will recall the 927C limit for the Allison C20 series.

Seconds later I got the engine shut down and called it in to the ops manager. A hot section inspection was done and no damage found. Engineers replaced the battery and ‘freed’ up the collar. No problemo.

The other lesson learned - don’t accept a machine if it isn’t 100% to your satisfaction.
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Mon Oct 1 2018, 12:13

remote camp

Band camp?

Return to “On the Job”