Friday whinge online!

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Friday whinge online!

Postby Mag seal » Fri Aug 3 2018, 07:41

4real
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Friday whinge online!

Postby 4real » Fri Aug 3 2018, 08:07

Do you disagree with what’s is said in the article Magseal?
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Fri Aug 3 2018, 08:20

4real wrote:Do you disagree with what’s is said in the article Magseal?

No I don't, however there would not be a single pilot (civilian trained) who was not told that this is how it is. So you can't say you went into it expecting Qantas conditions!

Unfortunately this is the apprenticeship you need to complete before moving onto something better. I look back on the time I spent in the bush or flying tourist as the best and most enjoyable flying I've done. No stress, hardly any rules etc etc.
Combustion Chamber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Combustion Chamber » Fri Aug 3 2018, 08:29

I don’t agree with that article at all. I started my career ‘In a box at Katherine’ as the article stated and absolutely loved it. Would do it again in a heart beat. I was on a low wage, but worked for great people, explored the area, was flying helicopters, Unreal..
See those that whinge, didn’t do there homework. I started my flying career knowing my starting wage was going to be low and was going to have to go out to the middle of no where to get a start.
These towns are in some of the most stunning places in the world and I got to explore them and their surrounds on the ground and some of it by air.
Enjoy the experience, explore the area, don’t be in a rush, stop and pay attention to what your actually doing, it’s unreal.
If you don’t like it, get out, give the job to someone who wants it.

Enjoy people
Not one for gossip, but did you hear about the???
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Fri Aug 3 2018, 10:24

Combustion Chamber wrote:I don’t agree with that article at all. I started my career ‘In a box at Katherine’ as the article stated and absolutely loved it. Would do it again in a heart beat. I was on a low wage, but worked for great people, explored the area, was flying helicopters, Unreal..
See those that whinge, didn’t do there homework. I started my flying career knowing my starting wage was going to be low and was going to have to go out to the middle of no where to get a start.
These towns are in some of the most stunning places in the world and I got to explore them and their surrounds on the ground and some of it by air.
Enjoy the experience, explore the area, don’t be in a rush, stop and pay attention to what your actually doing, it’s unreal.

Enjoy people

Spot on! My career thus far has been flying tourists and I have loved every minute of it! I have had other "jobs" in my time and flying choppers has NEVER felt like work to me.
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Fri Aug 3 2018, 13:50

Combustion Chamber wrote:I don’t agree with that article at all. I started my career ‘In a box at Katherine’ as the article stated and absolutely loved it. Would do it again in a heart beat. I was on a low wage, but worked for great people, explored the area, was flying helicopters, Unreal..

Enjoy people

Agreed. If old mate (in the article) has been flying tourists for 8 years, and hasn't chosen to be there, there might be a reason he hasn't been advanced to a more technical gig...
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Aug 3 2018, 18:53

I'm going to the shops for an extra large bag of popcorn... :roll:
Capt Pingpong
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Capt Pingpong » Sat Aug 4 2018, 07:34

Agreed. If old mate (in the article) has been flying tourists for 8 years, and hasn't chosen to be there, there might be a reason he hasn't been advanced to a more technical gig...

Sounds like "Michael" has an inflated opinion of what he's worth. What a whiny twat. Meanwhile, he was flying over some of the most beautiful scenery this country has to offer, building his hours and experience and getting paid for it. I hope he goes back to doing what he was before getting into aviation
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Sat Aug 4 2018, 08:40

I would guarantee that if operators didn't have to pay the award wage they wouldn't. They would be happy to pay 30k if they could.
The report should be on what negative impact part 61 has bestowed upon the industry and how it has nearly eliminated any chance of real progression to more skilled roles within the industry, essentially stone walling the next generation of pilots......Team Green excluded.
If I was the pilots having a b!tch Id be more concerned about how their future is going to look than not having aircon.
Pass the popcorn FF
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Mon Aug 6 2018, 02:44

I'm the same. Started my flying career in that same box in katherine, and to this day I rate my time up there as the best time of my career. Sure I was earning little more than 30K a year (I used to show students my group certificate whenI started instructing) but I was often sent into the bush for months at a time in the most spectacular parts of the NT.
To this day I still have great friends who live in Katherine (non aviation) and if I could earn anywhere near what I earn now I would move back there in a heartbeat. Saddly I know that will never be the case, but I really have to admit I loved being a junior pilot. I learned a huge amount and had the best time.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Mon Aug 6 2018, 03:02

Flipping burgers is 9 till 5 and prob slightly more money. Maybe a career change is in order?
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Aug 7 2018, 01:24

Got about 10 lines into the article and stopped.
Michael is just a whiney sook. And a gutless one to go with it.
If he is too weak to say, pay me more or I'm gone, serve him right.
If he is so worried about fatigue, knock off. He's the one breaking the law by working over his legal limit. He has the ability to say "no". It's because of weak bastards like him that operators have no problem getting pilots to fly for them. All the operator has to do is say the magic words, "there's plenty more where you came from" and weak kneed morons like Michael keep going. Enough pilots with any back bone stand up and say no, operators would have no choice.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby County » Tue Aug 7 2018, 01:48

Funny how the finger always get turned back at the employers, from one side of Australia to the other a tour pilots wages are the same, no pot of gold by any means. No one try’s to sugar coat it, that’s just the reality. You use it as an experience to get some skill set and enjoy the scenery until you find an opportunity
that better suits your expectations.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Tue Aug 7 2018, 10:59

Employee's always deserve the best, no matter what the industry they should always get exactly what they want.

Best part is when they go into the real world.

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'

Return to “On the Job”