RFS gets blackhawks

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
The Ozzie Boy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

RFS gets blackhawks

Postby The Ozzie Boy » Fri Jun 22 2018, 04:26

The @NSWRFS is getting a major boost to its firefighting capabilities. Two former army Blackhawk helicopters are being added to its air fleet to help crews respond to life or death emergencies. #nswpol #7News

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_5800540379001
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: RFS gets blackhawks

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Jun 23 2018, 01:26

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Capt Pingpong
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Capt Pingpong » Sat Jun 23 2018, 08:03

Waiting patiently pop; pop; pop; pop;
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Sun Jun 24 2018, 06:21

Capt Pingpong wrote:Waiting patiently pop; pop; pop; pop;

:lol: that and the telephone book list of "essential requirements" to sort the wheat from the chaff!
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Fri Jun 29 2018, 03:03

I'm wondering who will be most nervous (hypothetically speaking - as we know the RFS as a government agency shouldn't be cutting commercial operators lunches...) about this move?
1) Current companies (AUS based) who have winch machines on contract. (Kareela, United, Sydney Heli, Truenorth...)
or
2) Current companies (USA and UPC (United Provinces of Canada)) that have contracts?

And looking ahead, providing (*) Flight get their s**t in one sock with there operation, would it be a nod in that direction that the Hawk is the new favourite toy?

Bangers

* = insert either Care, Life, or whatever here. I can't keep track of who's who in that space.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sat Jun 30 2018, 00:39

How can a government department that doesn't have an AoC or the least bit of knowledge of aviation be "given" blackhawks for anything more than putting them on a stick somewhere.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
emuman_30
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby emuman_30 » Sat Jun 30 2018, 11:07

The RFS have no idea what they are getting into, other than trying to show off the Victorians. Instead of learning from other agencies they are trying to out do them.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Jun 30 2018, 11:42

Instead of learning from other agencies they are trying to out do them

Seems the norm these days with the various agencies and empire building. I see on another forum and CH7 report Vicpol are reportedly ordering 139’s.

I’m sure a few ex or current hawk drivers and overseas companies looking to get a foot in the door will be happy. pop;
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Nov 9 2018, 12:19

Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Fri Nov 9 2018, 16:30

11 Seahawks into the utility market...
one simple question who the f$&k is driving them??
If the various agencies require long line time, bucket time, fire time, time on type, CRM, PDM, wires course, fire fighting endorsement, coffee drinking endorsement

the list seems to grow each year I can’t keep up...

2 pilot ship I assume? Equal rotation in summer so 44 drivers and half that will need to be good on a line/ bucket??
pop;
Probbo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Probbo » Sat Nov 10 2018, 09:31

Out of the 11 hulls purchased they may only build 4 or 5 serviceable aircraft and use the rest as inventory. Just a thought, I’m not sure.
It’s exciting though. As more aircraft are put on the register it creates jobs and progression within the industry.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Nov 10 2018, 11:11

I’m all for using state assets to protect the state and it’s people and property but not so sure that it’s should be with profit lining the pockets of shareholders. These aircraft will be in the restricted category so will be limited to fire bombing taskings etc. but not able to carry pax which begs the question as to why they would use Seahawks as opposed to blackhawks as the empty weight will be significantly heavier. I’m not overly familiar with the airframes but I’ll be very curious as to how this deal will shake out. I’ll pull up a bag of popcorn. pop;
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby iPilot » Sat Nov 10 2018, 19:00

:lol: pop;
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Nov 10 2018, 20:44

Keeping up with the Jones’. Who can get the first bunch of old clapped out ‘hawks online first..?
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sat Nov 10 2018, 22:12

Evil Twin wrote:These aircraft will be in the restricted category so will be limited to fire bombing taskings etc. but not able to carry pax. pop;

Aren’t NSW going to be carrying firies in the back of a restricted aircraft & calling them crew? Seems to me that they’re sidestepping the restricted category requirements, & if they do it then it’s a matter of time until other operators do it. After all, part 61 is just an airline ops manual with a thousand instruments & exemptions for the rest of us, what’s 1 more?!?!
Maybe timberline & skyline know something the rest of us don’t, maybe they’re entrepreneurs & are getting ahead of the curve.
Great to see some new old stuff on the fires, I hope it leads to some opportunities for local pilots but with minimum requirements I think there’ll be an influx of backpackers to crew them.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Nov 11 2018, 10:20

Heliduck wrote:
Evil Twin wrote:These aircraft will be in the restricted category so will be limited to fire bombing taskings etc. but not able to carry pax. pop;

Aren’t NSW going to be carrying firies in the back of a restricted aircraft & calling them crew? Seems to me that they’re sidestepping the restricted category requirements, & if they do it then it’s a matter of time until other operators do it. After all, part 61 is just an airline ops manual with a thousand instruments & exemptions for the rest of us, what’s 1 more?!?!
Maybe timberline & skyline know something the rest of us don’t, maybe they’re entrepreneurs & are getting ahead of the curve.
Great to see some new old stuff on the fires, I hope it leads to some opportunities for local pilots but with minimum requirements I think there’ll be an influx of backpackers to crew them.

You're probably right and I do remember something along those lines being mentioned before. I'd love to see windows open for local pilots but it'd be hard to get the requisite numbers unless you came up through the 'system'. Maybe there would be an opportunity for these organisations to lease some sim time in Oakey as I don't expect it's working flat out anymore. I watched some video of Blackhawks doing firework in California during their fire season earlier this year and there were generating some serious numbers in respect of turns and drops on fires. Very different geography and water sources of course but, interesting all the same.

I'd love to get a 225 (that i knew wouldn't throw it's rotor head off :shock: ) and sling buckets of water on fires, if only as an experiment to see how it would compare.
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Sun Nov 11 2018, 10:30

Evil Twin wrote:I'd love to get a 225 (that i knew wouldn't throw it's rotor head off :shock: ) and sling buckets of water on fires, if only as an experiment to see how it would compare.

I wonder if with a winch and a belly tank a 225 could carry pax and winch them and water drop all in one mission, of course density alt would play a part. I also wonder how much weight could be reduced by removing all the offshore stuff.

Si
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Sun Nov 11 2018, 23:28

Probbo wrote:Out of the 11 hulls purchased they may only build 4 or 5 serviceable aircraft and use the rest as inventory. Just a thought, I’m not sure.
It’s exciting though. As more aircraft are put on the register it creates jobs and progression within the industry.

LOL
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Mon Nov 12 2018, 01:14

creates jobs and progression within the industry.

Well, if the ex-army and navy dudes step out of their B206 jobs and take on the Firehawks, then some holes would be left behind for some upwards filtering.

Return to “On the Job”