Future of flying cars and their impact on us.

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Future of flying cars and their impact on us.

Postby zzodr » Thu Jul 4 2019, 23:58

Here is an article that should fill you full of confidence for Commercial passenger drone flights.

194 US Military UAS Class A Accidents Since 2001

https://www.uasvision.com/2014/06/23/40 ... ince-2001/
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Jul 5 2019, 10:13

That accident statistic is alarming. Wonder how the travelling public would perceive pilotless planes in the future after reading that article.
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Fri Jul 5 2019, 10:16

Desirable but not essential, considerations given to the right applicant.
Gold chain
Blutooth ear piece
ok at speaking english (can't discriminate so engrish second language acceptable)
map reading not essential but beneficial

3 renewals
50 hours on type
DUMMY

Postby DUMMY » Fri Jul 5 2019, 13:20

NZHelo wrote:Desirable but not essential, considerations given to the right applicant.
Gold chain
Blutooth ear piece
ok at speaking english (can't discriminate so engrish second language acceptable)
map reading not essential but beneficial

3 renewals
50 hours on type

Don’t forget

Captains -

Essential:
2000 hours battery powered flight
1 year flying car experience

Desirable:
Time on similar types such as
-The Jetsons Car
-The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car
-The Delorian In Back to the Future 2

Demonstrated ability and willingness to take a big hard one and no pay cheque from management

PAY LEVEL - FOOD STAMPS + SUPER

will be look at favourable
MS WORD / EXCEL
helihangar
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helihangar » Sat Jul 6 2019, 02:49

What I find interesting (RBTL-Annoying) is that helicopter operators have been trying for years to have a heli shuttle in Sydney city and other capital cities, with tried, proven and certified airframes to no avail, but Uber can come along and everything’s going to be up and going by 2022, with CASA creating an innovation team to work with Uber. Oc:= Oc:=
Watch this space 2022...really.
Just another slap in the face to GA operators.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sat Jul 6 2019, 04:01

It took from 1991 till 1997 to get CA$A to approve the Helishuttle for the RPT run from Parramatta to KSA. During that time, while CA$A was doing nothing, the CBD heliport at Darling Harbour (a key piece for the shuttle) got knocked on the head by the Balmain labor NIMBYs, and the roads to the west (M4, M5) improved to a large degree. So, when we finally got the nod, circumstances had changed so much that it ended up non-viable. Six wasted years, thanks CA$A.

2022, a total laugh. They won't even have read the submission by then.
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Sat Jul 6 2019, 05:13

Spare a thought for the operator that spent a few hundred grand getting an approval for a floating heliport on Sydney Harbour only to have it overturned at the eleventh hour by none other than Malcolm Turnbull and his harbourfront-real-estate-owning mates:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/hel ... 2bl7p.html
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sat Jul 6 2019, 07:33

Great "artist's impression" - how does that chopper get to the bottom level??

We ran that same idea many years previously, using the Rose Bay landing area which could not really be disputed, but found that it was too hard to get the punters from a wharf to the barge and back again economically.
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Sat Jul 6 2019, 07:54

Ignoring the artist’s impression, Rose Bay is hardly worthwhile given the traffic on New South Head Road and William Street. This guy’s concept was a lot more like the Manhattan heliport albeit with a fast boat from the pontoon to Circular Quay.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Jul 6 2019, 08:02

I was only a newby CPL pilot when Eric’s company and David G went through the Sydney Heliport saga , I remember it well.

Having heliports / Pads approved is more about a war of attrition and being calculated at the same time with councils and government stakeholders, you must engage with them and the community groups right from the start otherwise your done, I suspect this is what may have happened to the Sydney pontoon idea a couple of years ago?.

It took me 5 years to get the Newcastle Regional heliport approved at the time in 2004’ which was painful, very time intensive and yes costly.

As has been mentioned by many, inner city Drone / Jetson style Uber taxis are in our kids lifetimes and that’s if they’re lucky.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sat Jul 6 2019, 09:56

Rose Bay was where the chopper would take off and land, being an accepted landing area under a grandfather clause. The barge and/or the transit boats would then take the punters to the wharf where they got on.

The barge could move around, and if it was 1000m from the nearest house it was allowed a certain number of movements in a day, so the barge would drift about as required. Middle Harbour, between north/south/middle head, and Rose Bay. Couldn't get near the bridge though.

But it never happened.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Sun Jul 7 2019, 02:16

2020 huh. Wont have to wait long to see if that comes to pass pop;

Does anyone have any proper details on the actual aircraft they intend to use? I've seen loads of nice marketing shots and CGI mockups but I am very intrigued to see the actual nuts and bolts of what is involved. How does it fly, how does it communicate, how does it achieve any redundancy for failures etc. Presumably it's a fully fledged product by now if they plan to run trials in Melbourne next year?... :?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Jul 7 2019, 02:41

Honestly, I’m still waiting for my rocket pack that was promised to me back in the late 90’s. RC jets strapped to your legs and arms don’t count either.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Sun Jul 7 2019, 02:57

Queestce wrote:Does anyone have any proper details on the actual aircraft they intend to use? I've seen loads of nice marketing shots and CGI mockups but I am very intrigued to see the actual nuts and bolts of what is involved. How does it fly, how does it communicate, how does it achieve any redundancy for failures etc. Presumably it's a fully fledged product by now if they plan to run trials in Melbourne next year?... :?

Do a YouTube search on Ehang, Volocopter, Lilium, Pop.Up or Vahana (both Airbus). That’ll provide some idea re the sort of money (and PR hype) currently being thrown around.

And just in case you're wondering just how full of sh*t some of these companies are, here you go: https://jalopnik.com/airspeeder-wants-t ... 1836133949
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Mon Jul 8 2019, 09:16

Hey everyone what is that smell....................................FEAR

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Mon Jul 8 2019, 09:22

No!
Survival!!!!!
Wet dreams Greg.
There is always an option.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Mon Jul 8 2019, 20:13

Why survival?

Every post on the thread states it will never, never, never, never happen in the next 300 yrs.

Basically nothing will change in any industry and everyone will be fine, nothing to see here.

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Jul 9 2019, 06:52

Not the smell of fear gonsky, the smell of bull s#!t.

Nothing less.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Tue Jul 9 2019, 08:42

Gonsky wrote:Why survival?

Every post on the thread states it will never, never, never, never happen in the next 300 yrs.

Basically nothing will change in any industry and everyone will be fine, nothing to see here.

Regards,

Some time ago you decided to leave and tell us all that you'd "Gonsky", isn't it about time you wentsky troll?
Tjemos

Postby Tjemos » Sat Aug 3 2019, 21:29

Great

Return to “On the Job”