Pilot shortage. The Australian Thursday Dec 28

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
flyhuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Pilot shortage. The Australian Thursday Dec 28

Postby flyhuey » Sat Feb 10 2018, 07:22

Remember, you will all be over 60, some day . . . that is if you don't end up as a smoking hole in the ground, long before that, which is not inconceivable, with your smartass and know-it-all attitudes.

For every one of you forum trolls and bitchslapper mafia who have been critical or made smartass commentary, I have had an equal number thanking me for the information.

IF you have never met me, never flown with me, are not a pilot, then you have nothing to say. Just throwing bullsh!t around to make yourselves feel better about yourselves. Real heroes. This is not facebrag. Should be able to exchange information and contribute to everyone's knowledge and Aviation safety, on this forum.

I have actually been writing about Aviation safety and had been paid for it, since 1983. I offer to you lot free.

I do not consider myself a legend, not even in my own mind. I have just done a hell of a lot during my career. If you haven't or are jealous of something I have done in Aviation or some aircraft I have flown, that is your problem.

If it makes you feel good ganging up and talking and writing trash about someone you have never met or never flown with, then I believe it actually says more about you . . . Typical Australian Tall Poppy Syndrome. Trust me, I am not bothered by it.

You either choose to learn from what I write, or don't. I don't care one way o the other.

"Grandpa Simpson" - you a$$wipes watch too much television. Again, name calling . . . that is the best you can do or come up with?! Easy enough cowering behind your keyboard with one hand on your balls.

One short story, before I close . . .

Though I had flown in the military and flew as a Captain of three different models of 4 engine transports-category jets, I always enjoyed sitting around one of the hangars at my local airport, where there would be a group of geezers, most well over 60, listening to their flying stories and adventures. The biggest aircraft most had flown was a Cessna 185 . . . Boy, I surely learned a lot from them. Never once, did I ever criticise or think less of them for one thing that did not coincide with my experience (sometimes limited compared to theirs). That IS the difference be tween you lot and me. I learned about flying from various sources and always happy to soak it all up, like a dry sponge.

So, bottom line (forum trolls and bitchslapper mafia) . . . Get stuffed.
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Sat Feb 10 2018, 08:11

Didn’t you fly the astronauts? I bet they were looking forward to getting back into space.
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Sat Feb 10 2018, 08:17

I’ve met more than one ex Military Helicopter pilot who has then gone on to a very successful fixed wing career.
So you Bob are nothing special, even though you seem to think “it’s something “

You as I see you:

Too old to fly for the airlines and want to get back into Helicopters, your skill set is past it’s use by date and your attitude stinks. You are a know it all and most people just can’t be bothered having a pilot like that around. There are plenty of pilots available with more relevant experience than you. Flying a 747 ILS to ILS is bugger all like flying a HEMS/Rescue/police mission, it’s nothing like Helicopter utility work either.
Just retire and leave us working pilots to get on with it.
When I retire I won’t be stalking BS spruiking about how good I thought I was.

Good luck Cassidycopter/flyhuey/bob, stick to the writing just don’t write it here please.
Last edited by Mag seal on Sat Feb 10 2018, 10:00, edited 3 times in total.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Sat Feb 10 2018, 09:37

pop; pop; pop;
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sat Feb 10 2018, 21:02

Ahhhhhhh playing the classics!

"I know so much and all your mean name-callers who will die because you didn't heed my advice! I say "boo" to you all!

And in other news here's some more useless yarn that is only going to increase your dislike of me."

Keep it coming and see you on the PM soon! :D pop; :roll:

Bang "Non-flying Troll" EqualsBad.
Practice
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Practice » Tue Feb 13 2018, 05:36

bangequalsbad wrote: Keep it coming and see you on the PM soon!

I wasn't sure what you meant, but now I do. :cool_slp:
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Tue Feb 13 2018, 07:08

SuperF wrote:Canada v USA hockey series coming to NZ. Does that count? I just hope that the hospitality part of the game is as good as it was when i watched hockey in NYC and Vancouver.

re the kiwis going and working for nothing until their permit arrives, thats nothing, they will work for nothing in NZ until you decide that you should pay them something... Some operators even manage to get them to pay for the privilege of being there.... :roll:

do your self a solid, Do not go to the USA Canada, Go to one of the AIHL games, its not staged and will not set you back $500 for tickets and food.
:)
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Feb 13 2018, 07:57

Practice wrote:
bangequalsbad wrote: Keep it coming and see you on the PM soon!

I wasn't sure what you meant, but now I do. :cool_slp:

:D pop;
It’s quite a show isn’t it!
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Tue Feb 13 2018, 08:54

He never fails to impress.

I wonder if we all got the same PM?

Typhoon in Singapore?

Bob, don’t PM. Please post your rants here for all to be impressed by.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Feb 13 2018, 20:07

Mag seal wrote:He never fails to impress.

I wonder if we all got the same PM?

Typhoon in Singapore?

Bob, don’t PM. Please post your rants here for all to be impressed by.

Ohhh, no, the Typhoon (aircraft or weather event?) is a new one! Perhaps we could encourage him to start a new thread whereby he can post his rants and we can engage him there?
As far as the PMs go...I’ll show you mine if you show me yours!
:D
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Feb 14 2018, 01:53

I'm feeling a bit left out. Didn't get the typhoon rant.

Don't you love me anymore...................

Can someone publish it????
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Practice
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Practice » Wed Feb 14 2018, 03:08

hand in pants wrote: Can someone publish it????

As fun as a public shaming and good ol' smack down can be, I'm not sure if we should encourage the publication of private messages within the forums. They are meant to be private after all.

Suffice to say that I've suggested to Bob that maybe a change in style might benefit everyone, including him, and I've asked him to post in the forum if he intends to accuse me of certain behaviour instead of PMing me.

I know there's an argument to be made about receiving the type of attention you've provoked, but maybe the whole BS community might benefit if we all just tried a bit harder to be more polite to each other <insert cuddly loveable pilot emoji here> sometimes. Or at least get better at using the ignore function. It's found in your little man profile tab at the top right of your screen ! :wink: The interwebs do strange things to us all sometimes.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Feb 14 2018, 07:57

Practice wrote:
hand in pants wrote: Can someone publish it????

As fun as a public shaming and good ol' smack down can be, I'm not sure if we should encourage the publication of private messages within the forums. They are meant to be private after all.

Suffice to say that I've suggested to Bob that maybe a change in style might benefit everyone, including him, and I've asked him to post in the forum if he intends to accuse me of certain behaviour instead of PMing me.

I know there's an argument to be made about receiving the type of attention you've provoked, but maybe the whole BS community might benefit if we all just tried a bit harder to be more polite to each other <insert cuddly loveable pilot emoji here> sometimes. Or at least get better at using the ignore function. It's found in your little man profile tab at the top right of your screen ! :wink: The interwebs do strange things to us all sometimes.

I’m practicing ignoring Internet trolls the old fashioned way. (“Ignore functions” too complex)
I’m far from perfect at it, but improving.

Have a great day fellow pilots :)

Sky “Luddite” Pig
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed Mar 7 2018, 07:56

And back to the shortage discussion...

https://www.verticalmag.com/news/study- ... -shortage/
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Wed Mar 7 2018, 11:00

Ferrari’s post goes onto say,

While operators reported hiring pilots from the traditional streams – the military and civilian training schools, for example – poaching within the industry is also prevalent as larger companies with better incentive packages draw employees away from smaller operators.

In fact, 64 percent of survey respondents reported that when pilots leave, they are going to fly for other companies.

I’d say 64% of respondents are correct :shock:
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Mar 8 2018, 01:56

This guy sums it up perfectly

Sam says:
March 2, 2018 at 4:23 pm
I am so fed up, and tired, of articles like this. There are NO pilot or aircraft mechanic shortages. What there is, is an inability for businesses and operators to pay proper wages, and invest in their staff. In the last few years, there has been a complete collapse in the helicopter industry, and one only needs to look to international helicopter forums to see the amount of unemployed pilots and aircraft mechanics that are out there. It is true, that more and more pilots are considering the fixed wing route, and even I, after 16 years as a pilot, have been considering it. The only thing holding me back from joining the fixed wing industry, is my lack of faith in the future of that industry as well.
Even since becoming a pilot, I have continued to face the consistent roadblocks of not having the “requirements” for certain jobs or companies. It all starts out with no turbine time, no job. No multi-engine time, oh forget it. You don’t have 50 hours on this type (that would cost $25,000 – $80,000), then don’t bother applying to us. You don’t have 200 hours night, only 188, sorry, we don’t want you. It is never ending, and exhausting.
After spending almost seven years with one of the largest helicopter operators in the world, and having zero progression or advancement opportunities, pay cuts, and benefit cuts, you start to wonder what is even the point in staying in this industry.
Every person that I have met in the last few years, that has ever expressed interest in becoming a pilot or aircraft mechanic, my only advice to them is, stay well the hell away from the helicopter industry.
The U.S. continues to suffer these so called pilot and mechanic shortages, but only because they do not want to pay pilots and aircraft mechanics wages that make it worth while to even consider. These shortages have been falsely publicized, partly because of the EMS industry, claiming they cannot find enough staff, yet that industry is considered one of the more hazardous industries in the U.S. It is tiresome to see the constant advertisements for positions across the country, to be ignored when applying, and then discover that they really don’t want to hire people for all these positions, because they would much rather pay people over time instead.
I wish people would stop writing and publishing these articles, Just like I have seen with the fixed wing discussions, of the impending pilot and aircraft engineer shortages. It is a sham. It starts with the aircraft manufacturers, and works its way down through operators and media outlets, then flight and mechanic schools. If they can keep the industry flooded with pilots and aircraft mechanics, then they can keep the wages down, and treat their staff like they are always replaceable.
“Look, here are the published, studied, and proven numbers. The industry is facing a sever shortage. Salaries are going to be huge. There is going to be so much work for the next 30 years!” With no consideration taken into account for future oil prices, advancements in technology, and not to mention the fact that half the helicopter industry is about to be wiped out due to the advancements of unmanned aircraft. But hey, don’t worry, that huge surplus of ex-Vietnam pilots are all gonna be retiring now, and there will be so many jobs and opportunities available.
stick_monkey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby stick_monkey » Thu Mar 8 2018, 02:07

Hear hear hello pilots. Good rant and well said
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Mar 8 2018, 02:26

It’s a controversial topic.
Obviously there will never be a shortage of 100hr Pilots. You can make more in a few months.

Experienced ME IFR.
Like many areas it’s a supply and demand issue. But the difference in this relatively small industry is it can change from Excess, to Shortage with a single event.

When there are unemployed pilots, endorsed on type, the companies are in raptures and happily treat all the pilots as virtually valueless. Scoffing at the financial impossiblities of training anyone.

One new contract, and unemployed pilots are on a type rating course. (Recent occurrence with some S76 rated guys going on the S92 in OZ)

If a handful of guys transfer to FW, and the industry continues to go ok, they will be back to employing Pilots well short of the desirable qualifications and experience. It’s not that long ago that guys with zero “night” were getting a start on OS ME IFR operations for eg.

For reasons outlined in the post above, there is likely to be a massive shortage long term.
The incompetent short term thinking of the industry and it’s customers is clearly to blame.

The “succession planning” I witness, seems to involve believing that check and trainers in their 60s and 70s! Can continue infinitime.

Return to “On the Job”