Working in Australia

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Noosphere

Working in Australia

Postby Noosphere » Wed Dec 27 2017, 15:04

Hello.

After backpacking in australia 5 years ago, i have had a feeling buzzing in the background about moving/working there. I have a family and a job as a pilot here in Norway, so i have just pushed it away most of the time. Since the feeling won't go away i guess my only choice would be to atleast entertain the idea a bit :)
In this regard im hoping some of you would be able to answer a few questions?

1. I understand that helicopter pilot was off the visa skills list this year, but is it true that its back on the list again? I searched a bit and it seemed to be reentered to the list.
2. How is the market in general in Australia at the moment? IE declining/increasing.
3. When converting a license, will you have to do ex a sling rating if you do this type of work already, or can you get it signed off during conversion? Same goes with type ratings?

4. 32 y old. Currently only at 700 hours but 550 is on the AS350/H125. Some b1 but mostly b3,+,E. Mainly doing vertical reference work, 15 to 40m longline. Also doing reindeer herding which is similar to cattle herding, but would not say its in the same intensity level. I guess at the time the "move" could be a reality, id be at around 1100hours. Im also doing a bit of technology work for my current company designing(not coding) ipad apps for powerline inspections, and be reasonably experienced in that sector. Would this be a background that could open some doors over there, or is there an abdundance of unemployed Vertical reference pilots around Australia?

I've seen the general response in most forums where you guys seems very protective about the market, and i respect that. But in general it seems to me that borders are fading in regards skilled work. We have been brought up close to the european union, so i guess were used to it in a different way. For me atleast, i feel the need to atleast see if there is any possibilities, and i am not out to step on anyones toes.

Merry christmas

Best regards Stian
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Working in Australia

Postby Fill-level » Wed Dec 27 2017, 21:51

Hello Stian,

I know a couple of guys from Norway , who are here in Australia , they converted there EASA licence and are working.

Don’t worry about what people say, if your determined you will succeed.

The top end of Australia , is where a lot of sling is done , as well as cattle mustering.

Good luck
Firefish
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Firefish » Thu Dec 28 2017, 02:08

1500 hours would make you more desirable out here as its a minimum for some of the government work.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Thu Dec 28 2017, 08:28

"Plan twice...Fly once"
Noosphere

Postby Noosphere » Fri Dec 29 2017, 05:01

Fill-level wrote:Hello Stian,

I know a couple of guys from Norway , who are here in Australia , they converted there EASA licence and are working.

Don’t worry about what people say, if your determined you will succeed.

The top end of Australia , is where a lot of sling is done , as well as cattle mustering.

Good luck

Hey Fill-level
Cool, are they doing VR or are they offshore? A guy that i went to bristow academy with is working out of Broome, and he said there was atleast one Norwegian there. Would you care to put me in touch with them if they are working inland?

Thank you for the motivation!
As i mentioned earlier i've seen how protective the australian community is about their market, and i respect that. But in the same time going to Canada, PNG etc...

Is there any good companies up north that it could be smart to talk/discuss with before going forward?

Stian
Noosphere

Postby Noosphere » Fri Dec 29 2017, 05:03

Firefish wrote:1500 hours would make you more desirable out here as its a minimum for some of the government work.

Copy. What would be the typical govt job, which required 1500, or is it in general that govt contracts (even slingjobs) come under this limit?
Noosphere

Postby Noosphere » Fri Dec 29 2017, 05:06

I saw this too, but i did some research before this and helicopter pilot was on this list again. But i just wasn't sure if i had read something wrong, or that it was an old page not updated.

Thank you though
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Sat Dec 30 2017, 17:15

Hi Noosphere,

Just to get this straight.. you have a job in Norway as you said - "AS350/H125. Some b1 but mostly b3,+,E. Mainly doing vertical reference work, 15 to 40m longline. Also doing reindeer herding"

flying top gear b3 +, E in beautiful Norway all on a long line.....and you want to come to Australia to do vertical reference work? where there is not all that much?
To be honest I am a little out of the loop with Australian operators who specialize in lifting work. I know most of Tassie do a fair amount, then into the NT and of course summer throwing buckets around fires.
Maybe someone else can shed light on the main players of the lifting world

oh and can we swap jobs ill head to Norway you can come to the beach 8)
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Sun Dec 31 2017, 09:28

I'm with Pinnacle. Stay in Norway. Better weather (well maybe not in Bergen), better pay, better food, better beer (even if it needs to come up from the Germans...), better scenery (unless you like lots of sand) and much better looking women who also have far superior intellectual abilities. In fact, unless you want to swim in the sea (and don't forget the sharks, sunburn and jellyfish), then you are far better off in Norway. One of the best countries I have ever visited! And such nice people! I am insanely jealous that you get to live and fly there.

But hey, if you want to come south, then it is up to you. I guess Aussie has more fire work (!), but don't say we didn't warn you! :D :D :D If you are that crazy, why not try PNG, lots of VR work there! And great for the family... (not!)

I'm not much of a VR pilot (I have someone calling the winch height for me...), but I would think your hours might be a little low to make you really attractive for that kind of work. But in all sincerity, I wish you the very best of luck!

Return to “On the Job”