How did we all start out?

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

How did we all start out?

Postby HELO1 » Thu Jul 6 2017, 11:54

Hey slappers,

Where did you make your start after your first 105hours? Where have you been? And where are you now?

HELO1 OUT
HELO1
haywire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: How did we all start out?

Postby haywire » Thu Jul 6 2017, 12:24

Still looking for a Job...been 6months since i finished so im keen on any tips
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Fri Jul 7 2017, 22:17

It was 125 hrs, not 105, but I came out with an instrument rating, night VFR, external load, winching, low level and formation.

And I already had a job before I started.

You should rephrase your question "For those who went the Civilian path, ...."

And anyway, where is YOUR story?
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELO1 » Fri Jul 7 2017, 22:33

No idea how to change the name of the thread Eric, but that probably does make a little more sense.

I finished up with my 105 hours TT in October last year at United Aero Helicopters. From there I spent a substantial amount of time compiling a list of operators around Australia and started making the phone calls and sending out my resume. Having a full time job and a mortgage to pay it made it hard to take time off to go visit CP's face to face but I did make the effort when I had the time. Eventually after calling around 40 different operators, and keeping in touch with a few over a period of time I was lucky enough to get a phone call back from two different CPs offering me a start. I was stoked but then had to make the hard decision as to which way to go. I now find myself flying up in the Kimberleys in an R44 living the dream and looking forward to the rest of my career.

It most definitely does take an amount of effort and determination to get a start in the industry but with the mentoring of a few guys on here and other media it gave me a good basis to start my job searching and also something to look forward to in the future.

HELO1 OUT
HELO1
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Jul 8 2017, 11:46

You've done well for yourself so far Helo1.

You did the basics and did them well and as a result success follows. Enjoy your first flying gig because it's a good one.

Fly safe and enjoy the whole journey, not just the destination. See you around soon hopefully. 8)

As for my journey it's 12 years old already although it just feels like yesterday when I earned that freshly minted licence to learn. I've been fortunate to fly various singles and now a few twins. I've been around most of Australia and had the privilege of travelling for work to various parts of the world.

As for a few tips for newbies:

1) Network network and network some more.
2) Stay in touch with the employers you contact and try and visit them in person if time permits.
3) Look the part and dress appropriately for the job you're going for.
4) Do the basics well and everything will follow after that. Do this everyday!
5) Develop a keen attitude to learn and keep it until retirement.
6) Once you've made it yourself, try not to forget where you came from and help others new to the industry to make it too.

I'm sure others will have more advice they can offer.

Return to “On the Job”