Helicopter Down, Wellington.

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
oneliner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Helicopter Down, Wellington.

Postby oneliner » Tue May 2 2017, 01:46

helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Re: Helicopter Down, Wellington.

Postby helothere » Tue May 2 2017, 03:23

Strange article, the owner of the company doesn't know what happened but a witness saw the strap break and take out the tail rotor...
beacon

Postby beacon » Tue May 2 2017, 06:48

He just wanted to get free TV time instead of using tinder !
agusta
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby agusta » Tue May 2 2017, 07:31

The guy has skill. To survive a tail rotor failure like that and also to go bankrupt owing tens of millions and pop up again flying someone elses machines under someone elses certificate. pop;
Niko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Niko » Tue May 2 2017, 11:15

agusta wrote:The guy has skill. To survive a tail rotor failure like that and also to go bankrupt owing tens of millions and pop up again flying someone elses machines under someone elses certificate. pop;

Whilst under usual circumstances I may have seen this as just a provocative way to start a discussion - to verbally attack a fellow pilot after an accident, especially of such magnitude, is show of a low character. Regardless of the man's business decisions, I'm still left to hope our first reaction is to wish the man a speedy recovery and express solitude that no one was seriously hurt or worse -
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Tue May 2 2017, 12:26

Niko,

Whilst on the whole I agree with your sentiments, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have lost money through 'fellow' pilots. I do not know this guy and am not casting dispersions on his character. I have since learnt to wear a stab proof vest.....back to front.
Skiman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skiman » Wed May 3 2017, 07:24

He said he had been flying for 35 years and said this was only the second tail rotor failure in that time.

Whaaaat? How often can a pilot expect his chopper to throw a tail rotor? LOL

Excuse my piloting ignorance, but If he suddenly lost a load (the strap breaking) would he not feel a rapid climb? Guess he's lucky to land in shallow water too.

Thanks for posting the article oneliner.
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Wed May 3 2017, 13:29

Why is the bottom feeding media fall over themselves reporting if a pilot in a crash was under investigation for anything whatsoever just after a incident.
They did it to the King Air pilot at DFO in Melbourne too. I think the wreckage was still warm at the time. Bloody parasites. :x
ScoobaLimaLima
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ScoobaLimaLima » Wed May 3 2017, 13:38

Why is the bottom feeding media fall over themselves reporting if a pilot in a crash was under investigation for anything whatsoever just after a incident.
They did it to the King Air pilot at DFO in Melbourne too. I think the wreckage was still warm at the time. Bloody parasites. :x

My sentiments exactly.

Disgusting leaches.

SLL
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Thu May 4 2017, 04:34

A bit of a generalisation here but, interesting how most pilots after an accident don't really ever talk to the media....Not Tricky Ricky, moobs and all.
Brunner

Postby Brunner » Sun May 21 2017, 07:52

helothere wrote:Strange article, the owner of the company doesn't know what happened but a witness saw the strap break and take out the tail rotor...

Sounds like a coverup to me.
bell_driver
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bell_driver » Thu Jun 25 2020, 04:35

NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Thu Jun 25 2020, 06:31

"unanticipated yaw is a flight characteristic to which all types of single-rotor helicopter can be susceptible"......
Anyone care to explain this?
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Jun 25 2020, 06:35

Well, the tail rotor is still on the aircraft, and the final report says nothing about it becoming inoperative.
BUT! It did say this:
- unanticipated yaw is a flight characteristic to which all types of single-rotor helicopter can be susceptible. Pilots need to remain cognisant of the conditions in which the phenomenon is likely to occur and the actions required for recovery

At least they didn't call it LTE, but it seems there was nothing wrong with the aircraft to make it fall from the sky. "Unanticipated yaw" is when the pilot is not mentally prepared for the amount of anti-torque pedal that should be used.

There were quite a few problems with the maintenance and the way it came onto the NZ register.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Thu Jun 25 2020, 08:15

Quoted from the report.

- it is essential that all maintenance and inspection tasks are conducted and properly recorded in accordance with applicable rules.

Some Company’s Rule of thumb is;
Blame the Pilot first.
It’s the EASY way out.

HELIBRO. Well those in the know, know..

From what I’m told the Pilot has lived on.
Well done and good luck.

These metal flying money makers can be replaced.
As humans we get put to rest and are not replaceable.

GF
There is always an option.

Return to “On the Job”