Thoughts

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
bigboynasty
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Thoughts

Postby bigboynasty » Fri Apr 7 2017, 09:06

Couldn't agree more with you Country, gentle aft cyclic and then take some power out, less pedal and all staybilzed. Those who think different should heed Country's advise.
Belldriva
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Belldriva » Fri Apr 7 2017, 10:33

The NZ Heralds article last Sat quoted statistics saying all fatal mast bumping accidents in nz over the last 10 years have been Robinsons. Having done 50% of my time on Bells and 50% Robinsons, mostly Ag; The tail Rotor authority/responsivness of a Robinson is far superior and instaneous compared to a B206 II for example, therefore the right roll in a low G is situation is always going to be more instaneous and severe in Robbies coupled with light airframe/Rotor system in my opinion. Leading to a higher chance of a mast bumping situation. All we can probably do is use common sense and avoid severe turbulence like the plague, if you encounter turbulence, slow down to 70 kts, and do as Country says, gentle aft cyclic and lower lever slightly if weightlessness occurs. We Cant really get away from certain facts of what these aircraft are. Built Light and to a price, but the Robbies go really well if handled correctly but im no expert, just my 2 cents worth.
Last edited by Belldriva on Fri Apr 7 2017, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Fri Apr 7 2017, 11:03

Belldriva,

100% mate. Whilst not that eloquent :D , everyone will understand what you are saying, and you make some really good sense about the difference between the machines.

But what you say is true for all teeter rotor helis. My mates who have huge 206 and 206L hours would agree with you.

Slow down. Keep it loaded.

Arrrj
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Fri Apr 7 2017, 12:20

Interesting video on difference in standard rotor hub (Bell) and Robinson rotor hub.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/national/news ... _id=173103
aaron
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby aaron » Fri Apr 7 2017, 21:29

That's a good little video, explains it well Oc:=
Mallard
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mallard » Sun Apr 9 2017, 22:52

I've always thought the purpose of lowering collective is to reduce how much the blades flap. The unloaded disc wants to flap to the left and is made worse if the pilot puts in left cyclic to prevent the roll (caused by the TR)

Cabin tilted one direction, disc the other and you run out of head to mast clearance pretty quickly.

Felt the roll distinctly twice. Both times I was by myself with a light fuel load and flew into strong thermals. I can't imagine what it would be like in a mountainous area known for strong wind shear (like in NZ).
Belldriva
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Belldriva » Mon Apr 10 2017, 09:19

This is a recent video from Tim Tucker https://youtu.be/qY4Ln8Kbhr4

Return to “On the Job”