2017 HeliOps Calendars Up For Grabs

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

2017 HeliOps Calendars Up For Grabs

Postby Heli-Ops » Wed Dec 7 2016, 22:42

Well the latest edition of the HeliOps calendar is now up for grabs

I have 50 to give away to forum members this year. How do you get your hands on one - read on

For this years thread would be great to hear WHY you decided to get involved in flying helicopters, working on helicopters, or being involved in helicopters, and please no one or two word answers please.

Once you have posted on this thread send me a PM with your postal address and will put one in the mail for you - should be there in time for Xmas.

Here is the cover of the 2017 edition.

Revhead
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: 2017 HeliOps Calendars Up For Grabs

Postby Revhead » Thu Dec 8 2016, 10:02

G'Day Ned,

Got into the industry because I was bored and needed a challenge. Normal jobs weren't cutting it. I'd flown fixed wing for a while and had been mustering stock. The next logical step was to move into rotary for mustering, however, continuous drought put an end to us buying one of our own due to the lack of anything good to come out of a 15 year drought. The dream got shelved for 5 or so years until I decided to do what all bush fellas hate to do and that's move to a city..... to do my licence. Did that and then the usual self prostitution to get anywhere in the industry and after 10 years or so I'm no longer sure who's dream it is but it sure ain't mine anymore hahaha. It's actually amazing that so many people are trying to get into an industry that I'm busting my guts to distance myself from :shock:
Anyway.......... Can I please have a calendar Ned, cause its a cool industry. No, actually, its just cause your calendars are great!!

Seasons greetings to all Slappers and everyone please fly safe and be home with those important to you if you're roster will allow.

Regards

Rev(vvvvving it hard )head
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Fri Dec 9 2016, 04:29

Growing up where I later found out was an outbound VFR waypoint for YMMB I had no choice;-)

I was exposed to Helicopters everyday, they fascinated me. I still have a school project from when I was in Grade 5 saying that "when i grow up I want to be a helicopter pilot" 17years later I got my license. I've been now been flying for just over tens years and I've finally made it into the job that I dreamed of when i was a ten year old.

The "Dream job" is everything I thought it would be. It's re-ignited my passion for flying and I can't imagine doing anything else:-)
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Postby Master Cylinder » Fri Dec 9 2016, 05:58

I got into it because I knew, eventually, there'd be free calendars in it for me...kidding, just kidding Ned.

Ever since I was a kid I knew I wanted to fly...it wasn't until I was in the US Navy as a flight student that I realised that rotary wing was the way for me.

7 years flying Seahawks in the USN, 13 years flying for the Australian Navy and almost 8 years outside defence flying for EMS/SAR in Australia and abroad...what an amazing journey its been...never regretted a moment of it.

What I've found, and continue to find, most gratifying is instructing...whether its getting someone through a new type rating, simulator emergency procedures training, or spending time in the classroom, I find that part of the job the most rewarding.

Happy Holidays!
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Fri Dec 9 2016, 20:56

Much the same for myself. Had always found aircraft of all sorts fascinating at a kid. I remember walking in to school looking at commercial jets flying overhead and thinking how exciting it would be to be the person sitting up the front driving that thing around the sky - that was before I knew about FMS and AP... Not knowing anyone in the industry, or having any connection to aviation at all meant I found it hard to get involved in flying myself and I went down a very different career path initially. Once day I was feeling particularly disgruntled with my studies and decided to do some proper research into helicopter licenses. As soon as I discovered you could do a TIF and have a chance to fly a helicopter with no medical, license, course enrollment etc I was on the phone! The moment my instructor started flicking switches and spooling that little Robbie up I knew it was what I wanted to do with my days. I still sit there in silent awe and grin (at least inside...) every time I'm hovering. Never seems to get old, that feeling of strapping myself to a big metal machine and defeating gravity.
TSW
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TSW » Sat Dec 10 2016, 04:12

As I am sure is the story for a lot of people, when I got interested in flying as a kid I never imagined where I would end up or what was possible in aviation.

I started down the usual path of working a 60hr week as an apprentice to fund 1 hr a fortnight towards a fixed wing licence. A few years later once complete with all the bells and whistles, with a job and a few hrs under my belt I realised airlines weren't for me and I discovered helicopters. So I started all over again! As for many people I assume, to sit down and add up what it costs over the years would be scary (the cost of a pretty comfortable house). However the people you get to meet along the way and the experiences and things you get to see, have been worth every cent.

Thanks in advance for the calendar.

Regards
Hueyman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hueyman » Sun Dec 11 2016, 02:04

Started when I was growing up my grandfather took me for a flight in his small plane, then grew into helicopters as I gained interest in extreme sports and watched many videos with choppers dropping guys of at the top of the mountains.
Love the fact you can land nearly anywhere and they are so versatile.
The squirell is the machine that I first fell for but the UH-1 soon took the front seat. Can't wait to get endorsed in both of these and get into some utility type work.

Thanks for the calendar! (c:_ol
charlie don't surf! (c:_ol
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Sun Dec 11 2016, 05:03

I started my aviation career with the cadets in the AirTC, won a Flying Scholarship through to Unrestricted FW. My first encounter with RW was the RAAF SAR flight at RAAF Williamtown "The Knuckpluckers". Scored a couple of rides during camps and was totally imrpessed.
Joined the army and learned and appreciated the value of helicopters to soldiers in the field, the "wok" sound meaning we're going home or an ace card turning up to win in bad times.
Changed career stream to Army Aviation as a Loadmaster on Iroquois and was in job heaven, particularly on ops and SAR's, NVG's and gunnery. lot of satisfaction.
left army after 21 years and continued with Loadmaster career in PNG, Coastwatch in OZ, and still bouncing between PNG and home doing same, never tire of it.
Anywhere a helo has been is like a church, holy ground!
Still got the passion for all flying, and RW can do so many things it's not a matter of what they can do, i'ts more like what will they do next?
Magic machines!
Cheers to all.
Steve
Keep it flying, don't quit!
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Mon Dec 12 2016, 02:41

We are down to the last batch of calendars so this offer expires at the end of this week - being 5pm NZ time on 16th Dec.
scaarj
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby scaarj » Mon Dec 12 2016, 03:56

Dreamed of a change of pace for a number of years I reflected on what I wanted to be my career. I realised I had a love of driving/piloting things, even small things. I then wondered what would be the ultimate machine to pilot, what took time, skill and patience to master. There is only one true answer to that question, Heli's!
Airbeater
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Airbeater » Mon Dec 12 2016, 05:09

I grew up bouncing around in the back of a 172 in the bush and grew with a love of aviation. Was working in mining and like most young blokes in mining I found the most ridiculous and fastest way to blow the doe I was hauling in. I have been flying since, and would't change a thing.

Cheers AB
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon Dec 12 2016, 10:17

I don't need a calendar Ned but that is a stunning picture. Nice one 8)
SPGreenCan
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SPGreenCan » Mon Dec 12 2016, 10:44

If I was wise enough at the time I would have said it was for the bar conversations and the mates I would make out of it in all sorts of places in random countries. But sadly I think it was probably partly to impress the chicks, and having had the desire to fly since I can first remember. I just didn't know it was helicopters until I started doing remote area search and rescue (Ground teams) and getting to hitch a ride here and there in a BK. Then I was infected with the rotary disease and destined never again to have a normal life. Or a good liver.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Mon Dec 12 2016, 22:57

Hey Ned,

From an early age like others my eyes would be fixed upright anytime I heard something fly overhead. A few trips to the local aerodrome as a young tuck watching the heli's taxi by kept me fascinated. The noise, the rotor wash, the dust in my eyes, those memories stick with me vividly. Then came the day of my first joy flight and I was instantly hooked and knew just what I had to do.

Merry Xmas to all and safe flying.
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heliflyer » Tue Dec 13 2016, 06:27

When I was a kid I always dreamed of flying. I would constantly build and fly model aircraft, and I wanted to be a fighter pilot in the RAAF. As I grew up I somehow got sidetracked into an engineering career, firstly in the maritime industry and then later in the aviation. The flying dream never left me and was always there. One day I literally woke up and thought wtf! you are getting older and it's you're dream to fly and if you don't do it now you might never do it. And seriously, what better machine is there to fly than a helicopter? So helicopters it would be.

Since gaining my CPL(H) in 2010 I have been flying charters and loving every minute of it. Becoming a helicopter pilot was seriously one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. It has changed my life for the better in so many ways that I couldn't have possibly ever imagined. Flying is what I love to do and every day I fly is a great day **^** :cool_dc:
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELO1 » Tue Dec 13 2016, 10:24

Living on the northern beaches of Sydney continually seeing the heli's blasting up and down V1 and the northern beaches got me hooked, especially seeing the military performing low level ops up and down the coast. Always had the dream to fly but never knew how to get into it. A few mates chipped in for a TIF and before I knew it my first flight in a helicopter and I was behind the controls. From there it was an addiction, gained my PPL after 2 years of flying when money permitted. About 12 months later and only a few hours more under the belt I bought my first property and knew it was now or never to get my CPL so saved up every last dollar and smashed out the exams and hours. With a bit of encouragement and chit chat with some of the team on bladeslapper I'm through it all after passing my flight test in October now on the lookout for my first job as a pilot. Would never look back from this point and stoked that I achieved that goal in life.
HELO1
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Dec 13 2016, 10:57

I had my interest sparked in flying helicopters since I was around 3-4 years of age when the Westpac Lifesaver helicopter from Lismore landed across the road from our house in Kingscliff back in the early 80's when searching for a lost child. Back then it was an old Longranger.

From that point on I only ever wanted to do one thing....and here I am today, 35 years later, 'living the dream' so to speak.

Safe flying and best wishes to all over the festive season.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Tue Dec 13 2016, 11:24

Basically I was born inside the feared Pena Duro Prison after my father, escaped and had the corrupt government transfer his life sentence to his unborn child which was me.

Literally after paying for the sins of my father I was named Dude by a prison warden after committing my first murder as a teenager. I spent my time in prison building myself into the perfect specimen of physical and mental ability, teaching myself strategy, philosophy, languages, and mathematics and honing my body into peak fitness and strength as I knew the R44 would be my greatest goal.

My growing abilities and terrifying conduct soon make me “King” of the prison – the most feared inmate as I could work out weight and balance tables in my sleep.

After this I was selected for use in a super soldier experimental program and was injected with a previously lethal steroid-type drug called Vodka, it was then I started training on the R22.

Surviving, I found it further enhanced my abilities but only when taken every 12 minutes. A complex tube system was installed to pump the drug directly into my brain which was a drag yet the upside was undeniable.

Throughout my life, I was haunted by dreams of a bat and upon hearing stories of Batman’s reign of fear in Gotham City I made my ambition to escape the prison with my skills of flying helicopters and defeat the iconic superhero and conquering the population in the process.

The skills that I had mastered regarding auto's which I was forced to develop as an innocent child in order to survive the prison sentence forced on me by my father, ultimately transformed me into the quintessential alpha male, with a superior intellect combined with a deep-seated psychological need to dominate and fly a R44 blindfolded .

Regards,

Gregory

AKA Dude
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
DADFA
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DADFA » Tue Dec 13 2016, 22:52

I had a false start to Aviation in the 70s that ended with a lack of finance due to mortgage and a young family. The dream did not die but reality and life takes precedence.
Fast forward to 2013 when I started the theory of a CPL(H), passed all in the same year and started flying December 2013. It took nearly two years but in 2015 I finally got a CPL that I had long dreamed of and thought would never be possible. So at the age of 61 I was a new low hour helicopter pilot. I still am but I have achieved a life long ambition. Its all up side from here.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Dec 16 2016, 14:39

Basically I was born inside the feared Pena Duro Prison after my father, escaped and had the corrupt government transfer his life sentence to his unborn child which was me.

Literally after paying for the sins of my father I was named Dude by a prison warden after committing my first murder as a teenager. I spent my time in prison building myself into the perfect specimen of physical and mental ability, teaching myself strategy, philosophy, languages, and mathematics and honing my body into peak fitness and strength as I knew the R44 would be my greatest goal.

My growing abilities and terrifying conduct soon make me “King” of the prison – the most feared inmate as I could work out weight and balance tables in my sleep.

After this I was selected for use in a super soldier experimental program and was injected with a previously lethal steroid-type drug called Vodka, it was then I started training on the R22.

Surviving, I found it further enhanced my abilities but only when taken every 12 minutes. A complex tube system was installed to pump the drug directly into my brain which was a drag yet the upside was undeniable.

Throughout my life, I was haunted by dreams of a bat and upon hearing stories of Batman’s reign of fear in Gotham City I made my ambition to escape the prison with my skills of flying helicopters and defeat the iconic superhero and conquering the population in the process.

The skills that I had mastered regarding auto's which I was forced to develop as an innocent child in order to survive the prison sentence forced on me by my father, ultimately transformed me into the quintessential alpha male, with a superior intellect combined with a deep-seated psychological need to dominate and fly a R44 blindfolded .

Regards,

Gregory

Gregory, Id love a pound of the S#it your smoking. :shock:
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"

Return to “On the Job”