Oz industry outlook

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Monkey_Magic

Oz industry outlook

Postby Monkey_Magic » Sun Aug 12 2018, 00:31

Anyone got any info on the current state of the Oz industry and the outlook in particular opportunities for non type rated guys and gals to pick up a slot. I'm hearing more redundancies are on the cards at some companies. Are things on the improve or are we still in for a few more years of stagnation. Be interested to hear from those in the know?
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Oz industry outlook

Postby Hello Pilots » Sun Aug 12 2018, 01:17

pop; pop; pop;
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Sun Aug 12 2018, 05:00

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hello Pilots wrote:pop; pop; pop;
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Sun Aug 12 2018, 07:33

What exactly are you asking/hoping to hear?
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun Aug 12 2018, 08:28

Off Shore.

The OS industry is a boiling cauldron right now. Many people have been threatened, plenty actually made redundant, while many are working extra shifts!

The short term, unsustainable thinking and business practices adopted by some operators, and encouraged by the oil company’s, have bitten hard. Oc:=
Some pilots have been forced out/made redundant, many have left, and virtually none have entered the sector. (As pleanty of people on this forum will attest, no one is interested in fostering experience by employing less than fully qualified co-pilots.)

There is a significant percentage of pilots in this sector approaching retirement age (Some sick of the treatment that has become the norm, have moved “the day” forward). Some of the younger ones have left for the greener pastures of FW RPT. (And many more are likely to.)
The Helicopter ATPL is now financially out of reach for a “normal” individual.

Who, with ME/IFR/ATPL-H/OS experience, is going to be flying the helicopters if the demand remains the same?
Most people with any industry information expect the demand to increase.

Watch with glee, what “supply and demand” does to the OS pilot opportunities in the next 12-24 months. **^**
Jeffory
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jeffory » Sun Aug 12 2018, 11:03

skypig wrote:Off Shore.

The OS industry is a boiling cauldron right now. Many people have been threatened, plenty actually made redundant, while many are working extra shifts!

The short term, unsustainable thinking and business practices adopted by some operators, and encouraged by the oil company’s, have bitten hard. Oc:=
Some pilots have been forced out/made redundant, many have left, and virtually none have entered the sector. (As pleanty of people on this forum will attest, no one is interested in fostering experience by employing less than fully qualified co-pilots.)

There is a significant percentage of pilots in this sector approaching retirement age (Some sick of the treatment that has become the norm, have moved “the day” forward). Some of the younger ones have left for the greener pastures of FW RPT. (And many more are likely to.)

Who, with ME/IFR/ATPL-H/OS experience, is going to be flying the helicopters if the demand remains the same?

Watch with glee, what “supply and demand” does to the OS pilot opportunities in the next 12-24 months. **^**

Watch them get experience from overseas. This is Australia.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Sun Aug 12 2018, 23:39

Jeffory wrote:

All ready happening ...in big numbers
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Aug 13 2018, 01:03

Fill-level wrote:
Jeffory wrote:

See “The short term, unsustainable thinking and business practices adopted by some operators..”

Support the AFAP’s campaign and contact your local member, especially if your position has been made redundant (While lowlife companies are claiming no Australian pilots are available to justify visas for overseas Scab labour.)
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Mon Aug 13 2018, 02:50

Genuine question as I am not in the Offshore sector, What countries are the "scab labour" coming from?
I'd second that supporting AFAP, have been a great help in the past.
Jeffory
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jeffory » Mon Aug 13 2018, 04:35

Hello Pilots wrote:Genuine question as I am not in the Offshore sector, What countries are the "scab labour" coming from?
I'd second that supporting AFAP, have been a great help in the past.

PHI = American pilots
Bristow = UK pilots

Not sure on numbers though
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Mon Aug 13 2018, 05:34

I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but Bristow has no pilots, British or otherwise, on work visas.
Jeffory
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jeffory » Mon Aug 13 2018, 06:22

pohm1 wrote:I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but Bristow has no pilots, British or otherwise, on work visas.

Not currently, but in recent years.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Mon Aug 13 2018, 08:56

Are the PHI machines N registered? If so, don't you need an FAA licence to pilot it?
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Mon Aug 13 2018, 09:48

VH registered
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sun Sep 23 2018, 15:40

skypig wrote:
Fill-level wrote:
Jeffory wrote:

See “The short term, unsustainable thinking and business practices adopted by some operators..”

Support the AFAP’s campaign and contact your local member, especially if your position has been made redundant (While lowlife companies are claiming no Australian pilots are available to justify visas for overseas Scab labour.)

Hahahahahah! Scab labour? You Aussies and Kiwis have effectively destroyed the Canadian Industry by your scab practices. Funny how when the shoes on the other foot that the reality of it all kicks in. Shaking my head at how stupid your response was.
Filtyanimal

Postby Filtyanimal » Sun Sep 23 2018, 16:01

Gee plumber some of you have a real chip on your shoulder, it’s a global industry. You should have stayed in the building industry. Mind you, you’re giving plumbers a bad name.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sun Sep 23 2018, 21:36

Hello Pilots wrote:Are the PHI machines N registered? If so, don't you need an FAA licence to pilot it?

I haven’t researched it myself but John McDermott from McDermott aviation told me about 10 years ago that you don’t need an FAA licence to fly an N registered machine in Australia. He has quite a few on the N register so I considered him a reliable source of info.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sun Sep 23 2018, 22:22

Filtyanimal wrote:Gee plumber some of you have a real chip on your shoulder, it’s a global industry. You should have stayed in the building industry. Mind you, you’re giving plumbers a bad name.

Tell that global thing to your pal above whining about his job being taken by scabs. Duh!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Sep 24 2018, 05:37

plumber wrote:
Hahahahahah! Scab labour? You Aussies and Kiwis have effectively destroyed the Canadian Industry by your scab practices. Funny how when the shoes on the other foot that the reality of it all kicks in. Shaking my head at how stupid your response was.

I thought the GFC quite some time ago did the majority of the long lasting destruction to the Canadian industry rather than foreign pilots.

Generally speaking, the vast majority of pilots who have worked abroad anywhere in the world have only ever done so due to a shortage of suitable labour in whichever country they end up in, Canada included.

I do recall that many a young and inexperienced Canadian helicopter pilot used to get frustrated with foreigners working in country however operators needed people with a few hours in the logbook and not fresh faced 100hrs guys. It’s a harsh reality however just because you have a licence doesn’t mean you’re entitled to a job. I understand the frustration however applying a blanket of blame to foreign pilots seems senseless, ill-conceived and niaive.

The situation at hand in offshore in Australia is a however a little different. A prolonged rut in the oil and gas industry over 3-4 years has redefined the operating environment and made it very difficult for all and sundry. I’m not across the intimate details of cost structures, employment and aircraft contract rates etc however the next few years will be interesting (and likely regrettable and sad).
macca01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby macca01 » Mon Sep 24 2018, 16:31

Plumber is spot on, from a Aussie.
We didn’t destroy the Canadian industry but we fill a lot of jobs, that’s life.

Return to “On the Job”