Will CASA regoznize overseas instrument time?

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
joestix

Will CASA regoznize overseas instrument time?

Postby joestix » Wed May 27 2015, 02:00

Hi all,

I hold CPL(H). I'm considering doing a MECIR training in Europe. I do not hold an EASA CPL(H).

Say I complete the whole course including the flight test in Europe, will CASA recognize the training even though I do not hold an EASA CPL(H) license?

Ive been trying to contact CASA but they are painfully slow at replying their emails. So far I gathered that at the very least I'll need to do an Australian IREX and flight test in Australia.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Will CASA regoznize overseas instrument time?

Postby ChicoCheco » Thu May 28 2015, 17:47

You'd need PPL to stick IR in. ME IR(H) - no C used in the abbreviation.

If you're doing IR theory exams in EASA, may as well do the whole ATPL lot, honestly. Won't be much more extra, saving on tuition fees for distance study courses is negligible.

Why would it be an issue for conversion? You'd have it all logged. You would also be able to transfer the type ratings on twins to CASA system with less hassle, although the most common twins people do self-sponsored ratings for IR, ec135, as355 and a109 are not the most common types to fly in Australia, are they? Neither Jetranger or ec120/130, nor medium twin.

Advantage of foreign IR flight test in aircraft (any, as per local licensing), is that one can do the CASA IR in advanced sim (type, full motion etc, nothing basic) as per the regs, Part 61 as it is and other CASA documents.

Make sure you cover the night flying requirements for IR, as they won't be required in Europe (the night training and night solo circuits) if only doing PPL to attach IR to, but would be extra hassle for CASA conversion. You may not be let loose solo on bigger heli, so if you don't have the NVFR issue experience logged, recommending getting them done, even without actual NVFR flight test or needing it for CPL in Europe if not doing CPL.

Are you aware of the 70hrs PIC (for the initial twin turbine rating in EASA) if doing so? I don't know your experience, just FYI.

There are some Jetrangers/longrangers IMC certified for IR training in Denmark and Sweden, if wanting to cover 206 time/experience with IR, but the cost won't be much difference to light twin in Denmark or UK.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Thu May 28 2015, 19:02

I re-read your post.

Regarding the licence for the instrument training, as said, it needs at least PPL (not euro 'light aircraft' licence), but that is question of taking two easy PPL exams (HF and law) and flight test, satisfying TR for the test aircraft. With 100hr+ on type, one doesn't have to do full Euro TR course on ligher single engine helicopters, nor part of PPL instruction, as 100hr+ pilot on class/category.

There is NO distinction between IR put on PPL and CPL licence, per se, in Europe. No PIFR/CIR equivalents with limited privileges.

You don't even have to finish the IR training, your hours logged still go towards the min experience for CASA flight test. Foreign theory credits are of no use in Oz, but then, you still have to sit IREX. What would be limiting, if you sat cpl/atpl exams but didn't do test for licence and wanted to 'convert' to CASA CPL. Then it'd not be case of passing two theory exams (COSH as it is coded now and CHUF). It'd be all CPL exams 'from scratch'. Since it's not your case, nothing to worry about with instrument training.

Only questioning motives of doing Euro IR(H) if going back to Oz anyway. Maybe you have too many passports/options/lots of spare cash.

Portugal and Spain 'may' still have some instrument training options in R44, if it's not gone, but at those eye-watering rates, you'd be better off flying Jetranger in Oz. It'd be VMC only there and may be no-go, haven't kept track recently for Iberian heli IR training.

As mentioned above, the hard parts of ATPL exams are the instrument bits (rest of the 14 exams are either covered in IR exams to an extent, or stuff like performance and AGK, which you'd redo to an extent. Admittedly, lots of instrument equipment, autopilot, hydraulics and other technical bits in heli question banks are covering airliners, but so it is..)

I could sell you (as a help) the Jepp Student Pilot route manual (charts, IAPs and maps to practice on, same thing and NOT changing) if you're not heading to Europe next few months. Otherwise I'd not bother carrying those 2kg to Oz around Sept/Oct. I got it new and not used, didn't have it in right place right time, ehrm, so had to do without - having studied instrument stuff before.

Unless you spend longer time in Europe, prior IR study is highly advised, signing up with one of the distance study schools. As said, just do the ATPL lot, 36 months credit from last exam pass, counting towards the IR and CPL. Also for future ATPL if needed, but tad different to Aus ATPL credit validity.

Oh, if doing SE IR, one still has to have 50hrs PIC for the instrument training, regardless of the 70hrs PIC for the initial twin rating (8hrs in Europe + VFR flight test)

Ultimately, the IR training, logged and documented, isn't connected to CPL licence and CPL exam passes (unless bundled within ATPL theory) so not having CPL has no bearing on IR, if meeting other theory passes and flight experience requirements.

Will CASA be pragmatic and efficient? Nah.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Thu May 28 2015, 19:08

Btw, I talked full EASA IR, not UK 'IMC rating' for some enroute low vis/IMC privileges, or converting foreign IR to EASA using the new 'competency based IR' or Enroute IR (sort of UK IMC for rest of Europe). Again, those aren't tied to licence level, just worth mentioning, as the latest EAsA FCL in full isn't consolited normally, so there have been additions on cabin crew, CBIR, EIR etc in separate docs besides the 1178/2011 doc. None of those change the IR training from scratch in Europe, IIRC.

Return to “Advanced Training”