Endorsements

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Endorsements

Postby b3n.n3lson » Sun Mar 1 2015, 07:30

So done the hard yards, saved up enough money to go after a couple of endorsements..... Don't tell the wife :)

Have a month off in March/April in order to conduct it.

Now all I need is a competitive price from a good school.

I am hoping to complete firstly my 44 and then I would like to complete my first turbine course. Ideally B206 however seriously considering MD500/530. Yes I know, not the most practical choice. However watching these fly overhead whilst overseas made me feel like a little kid again.

So enough ranting, does anyone know of any good rates going for either of the machines above eg. approaching major service or monthly specials or deals, private owner willing to cross hire for an endorsement etc.

Feel free to PM or drop me a reply below.

Safe flying
Ben

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Endorsements

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sun Mar 1 2015, 08:28

I think they're called ratings now aren't they? And they're no longer private so have to be done through a flight school?

I'd do a B206 rating over the H500 rating unless you have a job lined up that needs a H500 rating, not a great deal of operators using H500s in Aus.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sun Mar 1 2015, 08:50

Id second what Hollywood has said. Also do yourself a favour and get a basic gas turbine book (example below)to help you understand the principles of operation, in my opinion its vital knowledge.

Many years ago when I did my first turbine we had a BGT exam to pass prior to any flying. But In recent years wasn't a requirement, im not sure if the regs have changed with part 61 etc in respect to this now.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SpecialGray » Sun Mar 1 2015, 08:58

I'm far away from requiring the knowledge, but I'm always interested in learning. Can you recommend any books particularly that I should look out for?
While many enjoy activities where they challenge themselves to their physical limit, I prefer to do the same thing with my mind. That’s why I go on BladeSlapper, to be around other people who also enjoy being mentally challenged.
TreeTrimmer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer » Sun Mar 1 2015, 10:14

I would agree with the guys above. Go the B206 for your first turbine. The H500 is an awesome machine but not many in Oz. Make all those $$$'s count & put it towards an endorsement that your most likely going to get use in the near future.

As for a school in the Brisbane area, I would definitely recommend Aeropower at Redcliffe. They have all the choppers that your looking at & their CFI is a great guy.
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby b3n.n3lson » Sun Mar 1 2015, 11:22

Many thanks guys for the kind words of advice.

So off to do my 44 "rating" with maybe a sling rating.

Shall pay for my own PIC time afterward to get my hours up in order to be eligible to fly scenics.

After that B206 endorsement, with a bit of luck I may find a role that might lead me to this one. But not before buying a good turbine book to read up on.

I have a lot of spare time as I only work 6mths of the year, so maybe someone might take me on casually. Plenty to offer an operation in the way of experience and education.

Well it's off to read up on the 44 :)
Ben

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Sun Mar 1 2015, 12:22

Quite honestly, I'd find the extra $$ and get an AS350 rating; the 206 is losing favour on many operations to the squirrel, these days.
macca01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby macca01 » Sun Mar 1 2015, 12:43

Its great to have the endorsements but unless you have a job lined up to fly a turbine I would just do the 44 rating.

We dont know your situation but it's highly unlikely that you will be able to use your sling and turbine ratings for some time if you have not long finished training.

Just do the 44 and fly that until the blades fly off then get into a turbine.
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Sun Mar 1 2015, 13:15

http://forhelicopterpilots.com/

BGT books and more for helicopter pilots
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby b3n.n3lson » Sun Mar 1 2015, 14:40

Yes I think you're right. I shall just focus on 44, been looking for work for a year now. So I think the only way it's going to happen is that I get a 44 endorsement and then get some hours up post endorsement and go from there. As Macca said "till the blades fall off". Must admit the recent media did have me thinking, perhaps another machine. Maybe a 44 with a low level rating?? Before you ask this wasn't part of my CPL.
Ben

bman

Postby bman » Sun Mar 1 2015, 19:15

Just do the 44, dont waste your money on a turbine rating cause you arnt going to fly a turbine for quite some time. And when that happens the company will pay for it, even if you did have a rating it would end up being so uncurrent that you will require hrs of training to get back up to speed with it and in that time you could have just done the rating anyway. And definately dont get an as350 rating cause not very many people will.put you in one of those until you have at least 1000 hrs. Low level, probably not just yet. Your first job will be doing big circuits with scenic flights, and getting paid minimum wage if you are lucky. Might pay to keep that extra money aside to suppliment your income.
KNOW NUFFEN
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby KNOW NUFFEN » Sun Mar 1 2015, 21:16

So enough ranting, does anyone know of any good rates going for either of the machines above eg. approaching major service or monthly specials or deals, private owner willing to cross hire for an endorsement etc.

So back to the question, rates ??? KN
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Mar 2 2015, 04:28

KN, have ever thought of ringing a flying school. They might have an answer for you.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!

Return to “Advanced Training”