Co-Pilots & IRs

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Surprise
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Co-Pilots & IRs

Postby Surprise » Mon Dec 22 2014, 00:08

JT wrote:I'd be interested in hearing from pilots who HAVE paid for their own IR rating and how that's worked out for them ?

I know a few guys who have paid for their own ME IR's (in the UK) and for them it was a matter of timing. The North Sea like many places seems to go in waves of ups and downs in recruitment and those that completed their IR's at the right time managed to get straight into jobs. A few good friends of mine now flying S92's there spent 49,000-55,000 EUROS on their IR's alone. I've also heard of (but didn't know personally) other guys who paid for their own IR's, spent a load of money keeping themselves current and didn't pick up jobs when the big 3 in the NS were recruiting.

I remember back in 2005/06 lots of IR's were paid for by the employers, and believe thats reducing now. I do stand to be corrected tho.

I dont agree with having to pay for your own IR at all, especially in the rotary world, but that seems to be happening in certain places
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Mon Dec 22 2014, 00:54

I know a few guys who have paid for their own ME IR's (in the UK) and for them it was a matter of timing.

Surprise,

This seems to be dare I say it "The Norm" for guys over in the UK/Europe, I could be mistaken. I also have a good friend whom at the time (2 years ago) had 6-700 hrs TT went and paid for his MECIR in a 109 and without too much delay a few months later was accepted into one of the big 3 companies now based in Aberdeen on a 92.

I do concur with the comments that JT and Ferrari have made along the way and there is some good advice there as well.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
J-C
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby J-C » Mon Dec 22 2014, 06:15

Hardman wrote:I have been flying helicopters for almost 10 years and applied for co-pilot jobs with the well known companies on and off for the last 5 or 6 years, meeting the minimum requirements and ticking a few of the "desirable" boxes without much success.

Sounds like you have part of your answer there mate!

Hate to provide some tough love, but if you read between the 'idealistic' discussion of most here (whom I do agree with in principle), you'll see the 'realistic' opinion from most is that it is becoming the "norm", or it's "going this way" to have to pay your own way - look at Europe. All good to hope for and discuss the way it could be, but you've asked for insight and this is probably where the realistic insight lies.

Good luck.
Hardman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hardman » Mon Dec 22 2014, 07:41

I've come too far to quit now, chase the dream!

If I tick the boxes along with 400 other applicants it's going to be difficult to stand out from the crowd. I just need a opportunity to arise and the rest will fall into place.

With all the time, money and effort invested into meeting the previous requirements I am going to find a way to overcome these new rules. If it means refinancing the home loan to come up with some money then that's what will happen, but I'm not in a hurry to hand over that sort of cash if a half way option presents itself (fools and their money......) and hence the post asking for options and opinions.

Hardman
spcrewie
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby spcrewie » Tue Dec 23 2014, 00:19

Will it become the norm for pilots in Aus to pay for their own instrument ratings? Anyone's guess really. I guess if lots of guys start doing it then it it will make it harder for guys that don't but I don't imagine there are a lot of guys out there with the time or money to invest. Will be interesting to see the next big recruitment drive from the big companies and what is asked for. I'm not going to say I know one way or the other because I would simply be guessing. The only advice I'll offer is this. I know the company I work for like to train you their way even if you have the quals already. I think my type conversion was a 3 week ground school, 30 hours in the sim and 10 in the aircraft followed by IF training (sim and aircraft). They are not shy on spending money to train up their people. When I applied for the job, a friend of mine applied also. We had very similar hours, trained at the same school, similar progression. Only differences were he had an instrument rating and I didn't. I got a job and he didn't get an interview. Sometimes these recruitment processes don't seem to make much sense. I guess HR departments have certain attributes they look for. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Best of luck if you choose to keep trying hardman. You know where to find me if I can help in any way!
IIMC

Postby IIMC » Tue Dec 23 2014, 01:14

I wouldnt run out and get an IR you don't need it to get a job just yet. I recently got offered a gig with a major Australia offshore company 1100 TT mainly all R44 with 50 hours turbine and a pass in irex.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Tue Dec 23 2014, 01:27

FerrariFlyer wrote:......... as it would very well end up costing an average person some $100,000 plus to gain a CPL, MECIR and ATPL subjects in order for them to simply qualify to apply to be considered for a position.

At the end of the day supply and demand will likely dictate what is implemented. I can't however see a future in the near term where people outlay $100,000.

Isn't this already happening in Europe and America? In both regions the indivdual pays for their own IR. Admitedly it doesn't cost $100k all up in the USA, but it would be all of that in Europe.

In my humble opinion Australia is just 5-10yrs behind the rest of the aviation world in this regard and is now following suit.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
purplecircle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby purplecircle » Tue Dec 23 2014, 04:02

IIMC wrote:I wouldnt run out and get an IR you don't need it to get a job just yet. I recently got offered a gig with a major Australia offshore company 1100 TT mainly all R44 with 50 hours turbine and a pass in irex.

And you my friend will be a co=pilot for the rest of your life !, enjoy the checklists
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Tue Dec 23 2014, 04:10

purplecircle wrote:
IIMC wrote:I wouldnt run out and get an IR you don't need it to get a job just yet. I recently got offered a gig with a major Australia offshore company 1100 TT mainly all R44 with 50 hours turbine and a pass in irex.

And you my friend will be a co=pilot for the rest of your life !, enjoy the checklists

Nonsense.
Surprise
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Surprise » Tue Dec 23 2014, 04:50

purplecircle wrote:

I know a number of people who went offshore with less TT than that and are captains now.

Also everyone's different but some people don't mind being a co pilot for a good few years before having a go at Captain, if it suits their lifestyle.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Dec 23 2014, 05:03

Mongrel Dog wrote:
purplecircle wrote:

Nonsense.

What MD said...for various reasons. Purplecircle, your statement is simply incorrect.
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Tue Dec 23 2014, 05:10

What you've done here, Purplecircle, is show how little you know about offshore aviation in Australia. There are at least 2 MEIFR captains posting on this thread that started with similar, or less experience to that quoted by IIMC.

P1

Return to “Advanced Training”