ATPL PERFORMANCE & LOADING

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

ATPL PERFORMANCE & LOADING

Postby 2.2 » Thu Jun 20 2013, 23:46

Currently going through the AFT book at home in preparation for this exam.

Flight planning was relatively easy but the graphs on P&L notes can put your answers way-out. (way out can be +/- 100 lbs)

I have heard of people enlarging the graphs and printing them out. Anybody got away with this method?

Any tips and tricks with this exam too?
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: ATPL PERFORMANCE & LOADING

Postby bl@ckers » Fri Jun 21 2013, 00:35

I am in the exact same boat, I have my exam on Tuesday (last one!!).

I found the best way was to get a fine red pen, that is one way to reduce errors, the line stands out and gives you a smaller tolerance. I am now getting to within 50 units.

The whole process cannot be too precise as it is inaccurate to interpolate to great accuracy with the scale of the charts.

Good luck!
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 2.2 » Fri Jun 21 2013, 00:37

bl@ckers wrote:I am in the exact same boat, I have my exam on Tuesday (last one!!).

I found the best way was to get a fine red pen, that is one way to reduce errors, the line stands out and gives you a smaller tolerance. I am now getting to within 50 units.

The whole process cannot be too precise as it is inaccurate to interpolate to great accuracy with the scale of the charts.

Good luck!

Thanks Bl@ckers, ill try the pen idea.

cheers
airportmotel
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby airportmotel » Fri Jun 21 2013, 00:41

I used the fine red pen trick and it did the job, 1 bit of advice is follow the steps in the AFT folder and do not make up your own methods , there are 13 exams question and you need to get 11 right, the questions are high mark values, there are no 1 mark questions in the exam, you have to get the last 3 (5 mark questions correct or you will fail).

So i started from question 13 and worked back, I had 20 minutes left over to check the last 3 question were spot on.

Remember when doing the V1,V2 question V2 is always V1 + 10 Kts, the questions are written so you take the V2 directly from the Graph......

Good Luck
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 2.2 » Fri Jun 21 2013, 00:56

airportmotel wrote:Remember when doing the V1,V2 question V2 is always V1 + 10 Kts, the questions are written so you take the V2 directly from the Graph......

I did notice that in some of the practice questions they gave a RTOD/CTOD but the only one you should use is the RTOD, to get the V1, and then add 10 kts to that for V2. Is that what you mean, they are trying to trick you into using the CTOD?

Were there many D2 and D4 questions? (i.e to get the time and distance covered)
airportmotel
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby airportmotel » Fri Jun 21 2013, 01:19

Yes get the RTOD V1 and then add the 10Kts to get V2, dont take the V2 from the CTOD....

There will be a couple of questions not word D2 or D4, you have to read the question carefully as they dont use the term D2 or D4...

A couple of 4 mark questions with how many passengers can you take on the flight given , fuel burn to rig and return dont forget the IFR or VFR reserves ! and rotors running and instrument approach fuel

a question on how many boxes , you have to work out contact area and loading of the box, which side is best loaded......

The AFT methods are spot on follow them to the letter , the questions are similar but worded differently........

I got 88% and got 1 wrong which cost me 12% WTF ?
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby bl@ckers » Tue Jun 25 2013, 02:40

Fine pen trick worked a treat.... Just passed the exam..... Last one and managed 100% thanks to the AFT course!
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Wed May 14 2014, 08:36

Do you need the CAO's???
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Wed May 14 2014, 09:51

What bothers me about this exam is that the current pass rate for the first attempt is 4%. Also every exam is being reviewed with the view of adjusting the content.

So, just how much money or how many attempts will it require for changes to be implemented? If the pass rate is so low something is wrong with the exam.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Wed May 14 2014, 10:21

4% your kidding. Your making me worried.
ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ballslapper » Wed May 14 2014, 14:16

4% your kidding. Your making me worried.

Come on! Surely that can't be right - I did it around eight months ago and it wasn't THAT bad (unless something has changed recently??) I am no rocket scientist and if I can get a healthy mark on it I am sure its not beyond the reach of any other stick monkey! I used the AFT notes, followed the steps they suggest and it wasn't too bad. I was initially sh&#@ng myself with reference to my accuracy reading from the graphs but all turned out ok with practice and a red pen.

Good luck with it and don't stress too much.

Cheers

Dont get me started on the systems and airlaw exams though :roll:
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Wed May 14 2014, 22:35

The info came from an ASL invidulator (sp?) One of my workmates was sitting the exam as were a large group. Each set of scribble paper was marked for Auditing. When questioned why they were being marked the response was that the first time pass mark was so low, the exam was being audited and reviewed for changes.

Of all my mates that have sat this exam recently only 1 passed 1st time however, that is their experience MDAV mate yours may be different.
oei
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby oei » Wed May 14 2014, 23:44

The issue was the Fixed wing exam, pass rate was 3 %, been fixed now, it was casa flexing its powers...(were in charge), ASL were told to collect all performance papers....
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Wed May 14 2014, 23:47

Ahh the lady talked about that yesterday at asl, she also said there not doing it anymore, so in relation to my original question for bringing this thread from the dead, do you need the cao's or is it just another doc they say is permitted but dont need?
WhatItTakes
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby WhatItTakes » Thu May 15 2014, 00:29

casa.gov.au will tell you what you can/can't take in
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu May 15 2014, 01:44

I did mine awhile ago and can't remember referring to the CAO's but a quick CASA search resulted in the following.

Link below to all exams.
http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90074

APLH – ATPL Performance & Loading (Helicopters) examination
Time permitted 2 hours 30 minutes. Pass mark, not less than 70%

ASL Invigilation fee $100 + CASA fee $65 = $165

Permitted material required to be supplied by the candidate:

A candidate may use either the Airservices List, OR the Jeppesen List of permitted materials ONLY. All other combinations of materials are NOT permitted.

Airservices List
S76 Performance and Operating Handbook
CAO 20-95.2
Navigation equipment
No other references or material permitted

Jeppesen List
S76 Performance and Operating Handbook
CAO 20-95.2
Navigation equipment
No other references or material permitted
Permitted material to be provided by the supervisor with the examination, which must be returned on completion of examination:

Electronic calculator, pen, pencil, ruler, eraser and scribble pad only.

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Thu May 15 2014, 03:36

Yes I know the cao is permitted but the question was do I need it in the exam. A lot of the permitted material you don't need in exams so that's why I asked.
ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ballslapper » Thu May 15 2014, 03:49

Short answer, in my case (eight months ago) No...I didn't have a copy of it and didn't need it in the exam (same for navigation equipment from memory??).
BigHuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BigHuey » Thu May 15 2014, 06:04

A while ago apparently the exam had 1 and 2 mark questions which were taken from the CAO. You don't need them now though.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Thu May 15 2014, 08:06

Thx

Return to “Advanced Training”