Instructing at Night

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Coriolis
1st Dan
1st Dan

NVFR Instructing

Postby Coriolis » Sun Nov 18 2007, 23:26

There is no solo (PIC) in either the helicopter NVFR rating or the NVFR Instructor Rating!
reeheet

Postby reeheet » Tue Nov 20 2007, 08:40

Dunno about this point for chopper night training but in fixed wing there must be a designated supervisionary night instructor to oversee night training operations. This supervisoy instructor need not be a grade one but must have given at least 10 hours (from memory) of night INSTRUCTION to be eligable to oversee night training.

If a school was trying to get a an AOC variation to include NVFR then it is logical that the CFI/Grade 1 would need to have given 10 hours night instruction - maybee that is why CASA is "suggesting" 10 hours with a Grade 1 prior to the new NVFR/CFI being given the AOC variation for NVFR.

If this does not make sense, I have a handicap -I'm just a slab wing driver.

Rember the CASA moto "Were from the government and were here to help" which really means "Where not happy untill your not happy."
540DEGREE TorqueTurn
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 540DEGREE TorqueTurn » Tue Nov 20 2007, 22:16

come on mike becker , you train at night , where are you now . there are some questions that need to be answered
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

NVFR instructor

Postby Imout » Wed Nov 21 2007, 06:45

OK goaded ino it :?

There are several points to consider with regards to Helicopter NVFR and instructor ratings in Australia
1. The CPL (H) syllabus has no requirement for any instrument training
2. The CPL (H) syllabus has no requirement for night flying
3. The 40 hour instructor course has no requirement for any instrument training or night flying.

In my opinion (right or wrong) I think this should change to at least meet the ICAO standad of 10 hours instrument and 5 hours night for the CPL.

Therefore the CAOs are written assuming that the helicopter intructor who now holds a new NVFR rating has never had any instructing on how to teach instrument flying which is fundamental for night flying, hence the 10 hours with a grade one as an addition to the rating on instrucing technques for NVFR ratings. Some of you may remember that the NVFR rating used to be called the Class 4 instrument rating and this is what CASA are trying to have passed onto instructors.

Why just a grade 1?? Don't know as there are some very experienced NVFR grade 2 instructors that could do the job, may be because the 10 hours will add to a pilots qualifications?

What about the grade 1 instructor who holds a NVFR rating and has several hundred hours at night why does he or she not get a break in the number of hours, again this is because the course is meant to teach night and instructor techniques not just night flying.

The course of training for the aditional 10 hours is written by the operator and placed in their Operations Manual and therefore approved by CASA. I have attached our syllabus below as an example.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more, we do our NVFR training in a R44 Raven 1 (retired our faithful old Bell) AS350 or Agusta 109

Sorry for the formatting but you should get the idea.

F5.3 SYLLABUS OF TRAINING FOR NVFR INSTRUCTOR RATING
Refer to Annexure F of the Company Operations Manual for detailed lesson plans and objectives of syllabus items

Day Sequence Ground training Flying Training
Dual Mutual
1 Course introduction and requirements
Privileges of the rating
Private study, revision of the NVFR course notes
Basic requirements for NVFR (Receive)

2 Instructor briefing - Instruments and basic instrument flying (Receive)
FLYING SEQUENCE - Introduction to NVFR from the instructors seat (Receive/Giveback) 1.0

3 Student briefing - Instruments and basic instrument flying (Give back)
Private study
FLYING SEQUENCE - Instruments and basic instrument flying (Receive/Practice/Giveback)
Instructor briefing - Circuits and human factors (Receive)

4 Student briefing - Circuits and human factors (Give back)
Private study
FLYING SEQUENCE - Circuits (Receive/Practice/Giveback)
Instructor briefing - Use of navigation aids (Receive) 1.0
5 Student briefing - Use of navigation aids (Give back)
Private study
FLYING SEQUENCE - Use of navigation aids (Receive/Practice/Giveback)
Instructor briefing - Night navigation (Receive) 1.0

6 Student briefing - Night navigation (Give back)
Private study
FLYING SEQUENCE - Night navigation
(Receive/Practice/Giveback)
Instructor briefing - Night emergencies (Receive) 1.0
7 Student briefing - Night emergencies (Give back)
Private study
FLYING SEQUENCE - Night emergencies (Receive/Practice/Giveback)
Instructor briefing - PIC circuits and revision (Receive/Practice) 1.0

Totals 30 10
540DEGREE TorqueTurn
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 540DEGREE TorqueTurn » Wed Nov 21 2007, 23:10

a couple of good replies mike , you operate 300 's do you do it in them , to bring the price down also .
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Thu Nov 22 2007, 07:22

No we are moving out of the H300s now have 2 R22 Beta IIs and a R44 Raven I arriving in 2 weeks. Have replaced the H300s with R22 and the B47 with the R44 for 20 hours in the licence, sling and also NVFR and if required instrument training as we are also now approved to do instrument ratings.
Still have 1 H300 and a B47 for sale if anyone is interested.
Ian Batton
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Mike Becker's B47 for sale

Postby Ian Batton » Thu Nov 22 2007, 08:30

I think you should keep the 47 Mike, you know for history sake, and all that,
its not going to be worth much and well you should just keep it.
Now where's my beer
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Thu Nov 22 2007, 08:41

I know, Jan doesn't want me to sell it. He (Oscar) was our first helicopter and we have done 12500 hours in that helicopter alone, faithful reliable and solid machine, bugger its getting beaten by the economics. Janny went solo in it however sentiment does not pay the bills. If the right person came along and offered a fair price we would sell, otherwise you might be right, may do him up again and keep it like an old vintage car to bring out on Sundays for rides with the kids. :lol:
HeliNews
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Old 47's

Postby HeliNews » Fri Nov 23 2007, 01:29

Mike don't get rid of it unless it's going to someone who will restore and look after it. To many old aircraft just end up as scrap and are lost forever.

Sorry I'm a little passionate about old aircraft be them fixed or rotary.

NH
Heli-Man
Minister of Fun
Minister of Fun

Sentimental Oscar

Postby Heli-Man » Fri Nov 23 2007, 05:11

[img]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/Heli-Man/Senti-Mintscopy.jpg[/img]
Scooter
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Scooter » Mon Nov 26 2007, 03:06

I have 25cents, Can I have half a packet?

Return to “Advanced Training”