R44 + 500 Endorsement

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
SDK

R44 + 500 Endorsement

Postby SDK » Mon Apr 30 2012, 13:16

G'day Folks,

I am coming to the end of my CPL training now (all done in the H300) and on the lookout for good deals for R44 and 500 endorsements.
I am currently based in Melbourne, however I have bases on both the Gold Coast and in Sydney (family).
Any tips regarding training organisations that may have future job prospects/contacts - I consider far more valuable and would be much appreciated.

After doing a little ring around:
$800-$850 p/h seems to be the going rate for the R44
$1300 p/h for the 500 endorsements with Aeropower in Brisbane.

Cheers,

SDK
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: R44 + 500 Endorsement

Postby Skeeter » Mon Apr 30 2012, 18:13

Check v2helicopters for the R44 endorsement.
They have some offers from time to time!
I did mine there and can recommend them.

Cheers
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Mon Apr 30 2012, 22:54

Why do you want to do a 500 rating? They are pretty rare in Aus arent they?
SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Apr 30 2012, 23:43

Skeeter wrote:Check v2helicopters for the R44 endorsement.
They have some offers from time to time!
I did mine there and can recommend them.

Cheers

Yeah I noticed they had a really good deal going that ended in April, I'll definetly keep an eye on them, cheers mate.

Snowcarver04 wrote:Why do you want to do a 500 rating? They are pretty rare in Aus arent they?

It would seem that way, haven't had much luck in the way of finding anything down here in Melbourne.
Possibility of a job in the near future is the reason why I want one.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue May 1 2012, 00:17

Try Aeropower for both.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
mhale71
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby mhale71 » Tue May 1 2012, 04:26

Snowcarver04 wrote:Why do you want to do a 500 rating? They are pretty rare in Aus arent they?

Well... uhh.. does the 500 endorsement come with aerobatics training?? :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxAn4jAl9e0
mja
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mja » Tue May 1 2012, 05:18

Aeropower....... :too_cool:
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue May 1 2012, 10:04

SDK wrote: Possibility of a job in the near future is the reason why I want one.

Personally I would not be paying for an endorsement in any machine unless you have actually been offered the job on the proviso that you complete the endorsement.

Most endorsements can be completed in 2-3 days which is not hard to accommodate prior to commencing a new job. The rationale here is that the money stays in your back pocket until you really have to spend it. No point handing over your money on an endorsement and than finding out you missed out on the job and may never fly that type (a real possibility with the 500 in Australia).

That said, if you get a job flying one than enjoy...it is a little ripper of a machine. Just wear extra, extra, extra hearing protection and grow an extra few layers of skin on your right thumb pad!
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Tue May 1 2012, 11:17

Yeah I agree with FF. And like you, I did my training in a H300 so stepping up to the 500 wasn't too hard and I completed in a day. Although saying that I still got a rating before I had a job confirmed but that was in NZ so a bit different. R44 will prob take longer if you haven't flown a robbie before. Someone once suggested to me to just include the rating on your CV and if you get the job then do the rating but I didn't really agree with this so still did the rating first.
SDK

Postby SDK » Tue May 1 2012, 11:56

FerrariFlyer wrote:
SDK wrote: Possibility of a job in the near future is the reason why I want one.

Personally I would not be paying for an endorsement in any machine unless you have actually been offered the job on the proviso that you complete the endorsement.

Most endorsements can be completed in 2-3 days which is not hard to accommodate prior to commencing a new job. The rationale here is that the money stays in your back pocket until you really have to spend it. No point handing over your money on an endorsement and than finding out you missed out on the job and may never fly that type (a real possibility with the 500 in Australia).

That said, if you get a job flying one than enjoy...it is a little ripper of a machine. Just wear extra, extra, extra hearing protection and grow an extra few layers of skin on your right thumb pad!

Yeah cheers mate,
I am in the same mindset, just doing my best to be prepared should the offer come my way.. I will be obtaining the R44 endorsement asap regardless and hitting the road in the near future.
Haha I've heard a lot of good things about the 500's - and your not the first to mention the little china-man hat gets a work out.

Do you class A20 headsets as suitable ear protection for the machines, or even going as far as ear plugs?
SDK

Postby SDK » Tue May 1 2012, 12:03

Snowcarver04 wrote:Yeah I agree with FF. And like you, I did my training in a H300 so stepping up to the 500 wasn't too hard and I completed in a day. Although saying that I still got a rating before I had a job confirmed but that was in NZ so a bit different. R44 will prob take longer if you haven't flown a robbie before. Someone once suggested to me to just include the rating on your CV and if you get the job then do the rating but I didn't really agree with this so still did the rating first.

That answered the other question I had on whether it would easier to jump up to a 500 having trained in the 300.. I guess that would come down to the similarity in cock-pits/lack of hydraulics..?
Thanks!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue May 1 2012, 13:22

I would highly recommend wearing foam ear plugs as well as your headset or preferably a helmet if you are able. A helmet will really help to minimise the noise that is transferred through to your ears and reduce your overall fatigue when flying the 500.

I have not flown the 300 however others who have prior to the 500 said that there were quite noticable similarities. If you liked the 300 you will love the 500.

The only real downside from a piloting perspective in my limited experience on them was cockpit noise (fecking high) and short range without an aux tank. Also do not stand too close to the outside of the skids if parked on concrete if people are getting in or you are refuelling...the extra weight will likely compress the legs and further splay the skids and squish your toes if they are close to the skids.
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Wed May 2 2012, 10:17

Yeah they very similar. I use Elacin airplugs under my headset but they cost about $300 but I think they are worth it especially for ground crew work and can use em on motorcycles etc too. Download a 500 manual and study it. Or pm me your address and I can send you one. I have C, D, E and 520N manuals in pdf.

[youtube]f-UpVlJYsbo[/youtube]
SkyBurner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SkyBurner » Fri May 4 2012, 03:16

Aerowasp Helicopters in Sydney operates a H500 out of Canberra for around 1100 - 1200 per hour. Great Ex-military instructor down there aswell. You should give them a call.
driftersabre
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby driftersabre » Fri May 4 2012, 17:49

I think you will find that that chopper was relieved of duty some time back. Pitty as I gained my endorsement on her with an Experienced Civy.
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby wheatbix » Fri May 4 2012, 19:32

The 500 out of Canberra is back up and running, at least it was last I heard back in march. Still a C model

Return to “Advanced Training”