New Zealand ATPL H Subjects

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

New Zealand ATPL H Subjects

Postby BenThomas » Tue May 31 2011, 20:56

Morning all
Does anyone have any info on doing your ATPLs in NZ?
Not alot of people offering any sort of course or is it just going to be a matter of getting the books and sitting the exams?
Also anyone have a reasonsble idea of how long it should take to study for them? Im just wondering if anyone has done them and how it went.
I know Im asking alot but any advice will be of use.

Cheers
Ben"back to school"Thomas
torqueguage
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: New Zealand ATPL H Subjects

Postby torqueguage » Tue May 31 2011, 21:31

Hi Ben,
Its a hard road doing them in NZ, the easiest way is to do them in Australia, then using the TTMA to credit them back onto your nz licence. Look up Advanced Flight Theory on the sunshine coast, they're very good, and they allow you to do correspondence if your tied down with a job. Unless you want to do them in NZ of course, but do be given the ATPL ticket you will need to sit a flight test in a twin engine helicopter ( expensive) and also have an instrument rating. Best of luck mate.

TG
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Tue May 31 2011, 22:10

Torquegauge is talking sense, but I am not sure if they have closed or are going to close up that loophole. They changed the syllabus last year I think as it was very confusing in NZ whether the exams were based on the Aussie ones or not. When I did them, I recall planning flights to Gove and having no idea where it was... Probably worth checking in case they change the rules half way through your Aussie exams. And bear in mind, I think the ATPL credits last 10 years and if you go the NZ route you will need to sit the flight test in a multi-crew IFR twin within that time (and have already passed the IFR rating as torquegauge says). Seems like a while, but trust an ol' fellah, 10 years will fly by. Sadly not that many choices in NZ with 2-pilot IFR twins, but hopefully within a few years there will be more than 2 options. Hopefully someone more current with the exams can add more.
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Tue May 31 2011, 22:42

Thanks guys great information. I am about to start my MEIFR rating so im looking into the posibility of knocking out the ATPLs at the same time.

Muppet did you sit your exams in nz or oz?

Thanks a bunch

Ben
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Tue May 31 2011, 23:49

Ben FWIW I am doing my ATPL subjects exclusively via the 'distance learning' option with Advanced Flight Theory. I'm in Sydney, they are in Queensland. So far the package has been fully self-contained and very good. They offer a first class 'practise exam' database which serves to 'de-isolate' a distance student especially, in the sense that you don't walk into an exam (as your first external reference) totally 'cold'. If you end up going the Oz route, and electing to fly over to knock off 7 subjects in a two or three week frenzy of exams, this would be important. Also, AFT allow you to upgrade the harder subjects into face-to-face lessons. An option may be to prep for, say, Human Factors, Met, Nav, Law part time over there, take six weeks off to come here, and roll all exams and the last three into a stint with the AFT classroom.

You'd be buggered, but I understand Kiwis are twice as smart as Aussies - God's consolation prize for being uglier and less well-endowed - so doubtless you'd gobble it up. I can only speak for myself, but I am doing the subjects while working part- time and caring for my four year old. I have about 20 hours study time a week and so far one subject a month has been about right. If you end going the Oz AFT route any time soon I will be pretty fresh re: the exams and will be more than happy to give you any heads up etc. Mind you the AFT guys are always only a phone call/email away. There are other distance/online courses around. Pegs reckons Newmans is good too.

Good luck whichever way you go mate.
¡Librame!
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Jun 1 2011, 06:14

papillons wrote:Ben FWIW I am doing my ATPL subjects exclusively via the 'distance learning' option with Advanced Flight Theory. I'm in Sydney, they are in Queensland. So far the package has been fully self-contained and very good. They offer a first class 'practise exam' database which serves to 'de-isolate' a distance student especially, in the sense that you don't walk into an exam (as your first external reference) totally 'cold'. If you end up going the Oz route, and electing to fly over to knock off 7 subjects in a two or three week frenzy of exams, this would be important. Also, AFT allow you to upgrade the harder subjects into face-to-face lessons. An option may be to prep for, say, Human Factors, Met, Nav, Law part time over there, take six weeks off to come here, and roll all exams and the last three into a stint with the AFT classroom.

You'd be buggered, but I understand Kiwis are twice as smart as Aussies - God's consolation prize for being uglier and less well-endowed - so doubtless you'd gobble it up. I can only speak for myself, but I am doing the subjects while working part- time and caring for my four year old. I have about 20 hours study time a week and so far one subject a month has been about right. If you end going the Oz AFT route any time soon I will be pretty fresh re: the exams and will be more than happy to give you any heads up etc. Mind you the AFT guys are always only a phone call/email away. There are other distance/online courses around. Pegs reckons Newmans is good too.

Good luck whichever way you go mate.

and the bonus of offering the nz syllabus too. :wink: link here to check it out ben, im doing atpl through them and find it very good http://www.onlineaviationtheory.com/Home/Default.aspx?
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Fri Jun 3 2011, 08:01

BenThomas wrote:Thanks guys great information. I am about to start my MEIFR rating

Thanks a bunch

Ben

Out of interest, who is that with?

Return to “Advanced Training”