Instructor rating

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Instructor rating

Postby heli2o » Wed Nov 22 2017, 11:12

Hi all,

I am considering doing an instructors rating soon. Just wondering is the PMI component something that is integrated with the training provider and is there a CPL style exam that needs to be done? Are there notes available and is it something I can get a head start on now?

Cheers
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Instructor rating

Postby Heliduck » Wed Nov 22 2017, 11:43

I've been looking at this myself, what I've found out -
- For self study you can download the FAA flight instructors handbook & use it for reference, learn the Part 61 air law & sit the CASA exam. Pretty tough exam apparently. You will also need to get a cert 4 in training & assessing after that if you don't already have that qualification.
- Another option is to do a TAFE approved course which is 6 weeks & includes all theory & flight training, no need to do the CASA exam & the cert 4 is part of the course. I spoke to Airwork Helicopters regarding this but there's probably other operators around with an approved TAFE course.

Good luck.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Niko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Niko » Wed Nov 22 2017, 23:25

Heliduck wrote:I've been looking at this myself, what I've found out -
- For self study you can download the FAA flight instructors handbook & use it for reference, learn the Part 61 air law & sit the CASA exam. Pretty tough exam apparently. You will also need to get a cert 4 in training & assessing after that if you don't already have that qualification.
- Another option is to do a TAFE approved course which is 6 weeks & includes all theory & flight training, no need to do the CASA exam & the cert 4 is part of the course. I spoke to Airwork Helicopters regarding this but there's probably other operators around with an approved TAFE course.

Good luck.

What Heliduck said is mostly correct - CASA website says the following:

How do I get a flight instructor rating?

To get a flight instructor rating you must hold a private pilot licence (PPL), commercial pilot licence (CPL) or air transport pilot licence (ATPL). You also need to:

meet the educational requirements (that means you must either hold a tertiary qualification in teaching or a certificate IV in training and assessment, or complete an approved course of training in principles and methods of instruction)
meet specified aeronautical experience requirements
pass the instructor rating aeronautical knowledge examination
complete a course of training for the rating and at least one training endorsement
pass a flight test for the rating and at least one training endorsement.

Note, the use of the word either. You do not need to do the CASA Exam and Cert IV.

Now Heliduck, one of the reasons why that particular operator may have said that you need the Cert IV and the PMI is because they run a course called Diploma of Aviation. It's a level 5 qualification. To be able to teach this course one needs a cert IV in training and assessment; most flight schools can not offer this course. The Cert IV alone would cover both those requirements

If you want to do the PMI course then a cookie cutter fixed wing school is your best bet

Hope this clears things up

Niko
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Thu Nov 23 2017, 02:22

Thanks for the replies. I had a look at the casa website. That's where my wondering of the PMI course started at. Anybody done either way and recommend one over the other? IE either through casa exam or sat a Tafe course
Hardman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hardman » Thu Nov 23 2017, 03:12

Hi Heli2o

I did the in-house PMI course last week and sat the PIRC Casa exam on Saturday. As far as Casa exams go I'd say it's on the easier end of the scale. I spent 7-10 days reading through the FAA training handbook making notes and found that there were no big surprises on the day.

I wouldn't recommend spending lots of time and money on a TAFE course just to avoid the casa exam.

Hope this helps.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Thu Nov 23 2017, 10:32

Thanks for reply Hardman. When you say in-house PMI course, do you mean only self study the FAA book? The Casa page recommends a few other books as study material did you not use these?
Hardman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hardman » Thu Nov 23 2017, 12:21

Material for the PMI component was supplied by the flight school but covers the same sort of topics as the FAA book. I found a few other bits and pieces on the casa website including a few practice questions.

If you get your head around the FAA book I don't think you'll have too many issues.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Sat Nov 25 2017, 02:28

Cheers hardman

Return to “Advanced Training”