VET Fee Help - Ratings and Endorsements

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
User avatar
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 60
Joined: Feb 2011

VET Fee Help - Ratings and Endorsements

Postby b3n.n3lson » Sun Feb 7 2016, 21:03

Just a quick question, does any one know if ratings or endorsements can be completed under the VET FEE HELP program? Interested in completing NVFR, Low Level, Sling and Turbine Endorsement for now, with the intention to also do my instrument rating further down the track.
Ben

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 81
Joined: Sep 2011

Re: VET Fee Help - Ratings and Endorsements

Postby Slapstick » Sun Feb 7 2016, 22:03

No, there is no VET fee help available for ratings and endorsements.

VET fee help is only available for Diploma courses (or higher) in conjunction with TAFE (eg. Instructor courses).
User avatar
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 60
Joined: Feb 2011

Re: VET Fee Help - Ratings and Endorsements

Postby b3n.n3lson » Sun Feb 7 2016, 22:46

Slapstick wrote:No, there is no VET fee help available for ratings and endorsements.

VET fee help is only available for Diploma courses (or higher) in conjunction with TAFE (eg. Instructor courses).


Thanks Slapstick for the prompt reply.

I heard earlier today that an instrument rating could be obtained via these means, this sound right?
Ben

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan
Posts: 250
Joined: Nov 2012

Re: VET Fee Help - Ratings and Endorsements

Postby ChicoCheco » Mon Feb 8 2016, 18:04

Yes.

FI, CIR - helicopters. FTA Adelaide. You ask, I say. Not that I'd recommend it for someone in your position, nor for the fact that is screws up the future job market.
Honestly, look at the requirements from past decade for offshore copilots in Oz. 700-800hrs PIC helicopter, or maybe 800TT heli and 500+ PIC or whatever. VFR commercial, IREX or IREX+ATPL theory passes/credit. Very little use of IR on helicopters other than twins/bigger stuff and for more experienced crew.
Then look at the job market.

It's akin to doing 737 or 320 TR by newbies. Yes, it worked out for handful of deep pocket kids in Europe, but most companies now also want time on type. Beancounters and greedy corporations/recruitment agencies etc. It screws up the job market.

That pricey heli IR would add 20-22hrs flight time incl flight test, which will NOT move you much ahead for starter jobs. FTA has S300, but for the IR it'd obviously be 206 or bigger turbine due to the flight test. Neither of these adds much to employability on R44. B206 without more TT hours is of limited use. PHS scenics at Rock as an exception, or unless you own one.

Well, if you had more hours and could get VET FEE debt (+20% + interest) for instructor rating, as much on R44 as doable, then it'd make some sort of sense. Jobs and R44 time/skills. Not in this country just yet. You could have read the opinions of some senior pilots with or without instructional experience, that the 400 down to 250hrs total helicopter is negative. I can't see it going lower despite the differences between heli and FW commercial, Part 61 or 142 courses.

Knocking off some time in the US would have been good, but with the exchange rates as they are now, AUD/USD, plus other costs, it's just not worth it. 206 training at select few companies in Australia is now cheaper than in USA, for example. The hourly rental/training R44 differences aren't that much anymore either. You have too few hours with basic VFR commercial in Australia to make much use of it in other countries either. Not even NZ without more hours and sling+mountain time.
User avatar
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 60
Joined: Feb 2011

Re: VET Fee Help - Ratings and Endorsements

Postby b3n.n3lson » Tue Feb 9 2016, 20:23

ChicoCheco wrote:Yes.

FI, CIR - helicopters. FTA Adelaide. You ask, I say. Not that I'd recommend it for someone in your position, nor for the fact that is screws up the future job market.
Honestly, look at the requirements from past decade for offshore copilots in Oz. 700-800hrs PIC helicopter, or maybe 800TT heli and 500+ PIC or whatever. VFR commercial, IREX or IREX+ATPL theory passes/credit. Very little use of IR on helicopters other than twins/bigger stuff and for more experienced crew.
Then look at the job market.

It's akin to doing 737 or 320 TR by newbies. Yes, it worked out for handful of deep pocket kids in Europe, but most companies now also want time on type. Beancounters and greedy corporations/recruitment agencies etc. It screws up the job market.

That pricey heli IR would add 20-22hrs flight time incl flight test, which will NOT move you much ahead for starter jobs. FTA has S300, but for the IR it'd obviously be 206 or bigger turbine due to the flight test. Neither of these adds much to employability on R44. B206 without more TT hours is of limited use. PHS scenics at Rock as an exception, or unless you own one.

Well, if you had more hours and could get VET FEE debt (+20% + interest) for instructor rating, as much on R44 as doable, then it'd make some sort of sense. Jobs and R44 time/skills. Not in this country just yet. You could have read the opinions of some senior pilots with or without instructional experience, that the 400 down to 250hrs total helicopter is negative. I can't see it going lower despite the differences between heli and FW commercial, Part 61 or 142 courses.

Knocking off some time in the US would have been good, but with the exchange rates as they are now, AUD/USD, plus other costs, it's just not worth it. 206 training at select few companies in Australia is now cheaper than in USA, for example. The hourly rental/training R44 differences aren't that much anymore either. You have too few hours with basic VFR commercial in Australia to make much use of it in other countries either. Not even NZ without more hours and sling+mountain time.


ChicoCheco,

Many thanks for the feedback, I was just hoping to continue my theory learning post CPL (2013) in order to chip away at a still quite a long road of learning and exams :D

I am a low houred pilot but I am quite fortunate, in the fact that I have landed my first regular flying job (2-10hrs / mth). So I shall continue to focus on the hour building as you have advised and reassess at the 500+ hour mark.

A very long road ahead, but every hour up there, is one hour better on the ground :) well unless its miserable weather. lol

Cheers again for the feedback.
Ben

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan
Posts: 250
Joined: Nov 2012

Re: VET Fee Help - Ratings and Endorsements

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Feb 10 2016, 08:05

Just get IREX book and prep for the written.

Good to hear about your hours ticking away in the log. Not my case @500hr heli now.. Year ago I messaged you here with beer invite..
User avatar
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 60
Joined: Feb 2011

Re: VET Fee Help - Ratings and Endorsements

Postby b3n.n3lson » Wed Feb 10 2016, 10:18

ChicoCheco wrote:Just get IREX book and prep for the written.

Good to hear about your hours ticking away in the log. Not my case @500hr heli now.. Year ago I messaged you here with beer invite..


IREX Books Purchased, shall focus on a theory past for now.

Wow, how time flies. Well I am in Brisbane :) happy to grab a beer with a fellow aviator.

Hope you can continue to build those hours, its a touch economy right now. Hang in there.
Ben

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !

Return to “Advanced Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest