Instrument Rating

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Instrument Rating

Postby wheatbix » Tue Feb 5 2008, 01:44

Just curious as to what most people think is the best way to get a ME instrument rating.

The way I see it, the options are either to do a PPL(A) then ME-CIR(A) and then convert it across or else to just do the whole thing on helicopters.

Opinions?

In terms of training schools, what does everything think? I've heard good things about Kestrel and rotorlift, but any other ideas/opinions are welcome :wink:
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Postby Master Cylinder » Tue Feb 5 2008, 09:48

I think I'll watch this one for a while...ahhh, can't help myself.

Personally, I'd say if rotary is the way you plan to go in your flying career you'd be better off concentrating your efforts in that direction. I'm not current with fixed wing (in the instrument environment) but there are some differences. Anyway, look at it this way, if you're trying to get up hours to become employable, the hours spent getting that MECIR(H) will count for a lot...I really don't think doing the command instrument rating on fixed wing will get you ready to step straight into a multi engine helo and do a CIR.

My disjointed two cents worth.

MC
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
agent 99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby agent 99 » Tue Feb 5 2008, 10:29

The easiest way to get one is to join CHC or Bristow and you will have one within 6mnths of joining. :D
Sorry I couldn't resist that, not too helpful so I will disappear now.
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby wheatbix » Tue Feb 5 2008, 10:37

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming :D

I thought CHC/Bristow only paid for the coey rating?

Also just to check (I read CAO40.2.1), in terms of converting a fixed wing IR to a rotary wing IR, 20 hours on category (i.e. helicopters) is required correct? Does anyone know how much of this can be on a simulator?
PlankBlender
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

MECIR requirements

Postby PlankBlender » Tue Feb 5 2008, 12:33

Hi, here are the requirements from the current regs (CAO 40.2.1 8.3):

50 Cross Country PIC
40 IFR
20 of above IFR time in category of aircraft for which rating is sought
20 Cross Country IFR
10 dual IFR
10 Night flight
5 of above Night flight as PIC on category of aircraft for which rating is sought

Category being defined as helicopter or aeroplane, I read into that: Do a MECIR(A), then convert to MECIR(H) by adding 20 hours IFR(H) time (five of those at night) as everything else is category-independent.

SIM time depends on the type of sim used, category A (procedure trainer) means you can do 20 hours IFR plus DME or GPS arrivals in them, category B means cat A plus 15 hours IFR cross country time.

With the current pilot shortage, some operators are already advertising co-pilot positions with IR as a nice to have.. go figure!

Doubt wou'll save much dough if you have zip plank time, and the time on type argument above certainly holds some sway..

I have gone down the route of doing the MECIR(A) first, but then I already had the PPL(A) and didn't have my PPL(H) at the time which is the prerequisite for a MECIR(H).

If you tell us a little more about where you're coming from (i.e. time, ratings, etc.) and where you want to go career wise, it'll help to give proper advice.

PlankBlender

Return to “Advanced Training”