CPL(H) - Cert 4, Advanced Certificate or Diploma?

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

CPL(H) - Cert 4, Advanced Certificate or Diploma?

Postby Heliduck » Wed Oct 9 2019, 16:36

When I did my CPL(H) 23 years ago I was given a shiny new certificate which stated that I was the proud recipient of an "Advanced Certificate in Aviation". The training certifications/naming protocols have been through a lot of changes since then in most industries, so in 2019 when a shiny new CPL(H) is issued is it still an "Advanced Certificate" level qualification?
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Toppy

Re: CPL(H) - Cert 4, Advanced Certificate or Diploma?

Postby Toppy » Wed Oct 9 2019, 22:13

Under the VET fee process through TAFE they are being issued Diplomas of aviation
Rotorpilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rotorpilot » Fri Oct 11 2019, 03:01

simple answer.....yes.

The CPL (h) went to a cert iv Aviation, If, you completed the criteria for the new syllabus. after 2015 they added more to then make it a Diploma.

so if you want to upgrade the qual you will most likely have to pay for the privilege. :shock:

RPL is a lot of extra paperwork for no benefit to the operator/flight school. :?

if you find somewhere that will let me know :D pop;
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Oct 11 2019, 03:08

Thanks for the info.
As a side note, With the Part 61 introduction I’m surprised a CPL isn’t the equivalent of a law degree these days.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Fri Oct 11 2019, 07:02

Interesting thread......!

I have a little bit of knowledge in this area as I have the scars from having to do exactly these things from both an administrative perspective and RPL perspective.

So in short - the CASR Pt61 licence is harmonised to a Diploma in Aviation *(AVI50315) should you wish to go through an approved RTO or TAFE aligned Flight School if you look here;https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/AVI50315. There are 29 Core subjects and then 1 elective that are required in order to qualify. Most Flight Schools opt for the Low Level, after-all whats the point of helicopter flying if you cant fly low level? I do know others however who didn't have the LL yet still obtained the Diploma because they undertook HUET.

Now, should you conduct a CPL(H) course at a non RTO / TAFE aligned flight school you will still be trained in the 29 core subjects and probably the LL as well. Why? Well, because thats what the CASR Pt61 CPL(H) requires. So, upon successful completion of your flight test you will be awarded your licence but not the other bit of paperwork.

With regards to the "can I get RPL'd" comment - you can and there are flight schools out there *(look at a Sunshine Coast Operator or a Redcliffe Based RTO as examples) that either can or may be able to do it for you, at a cost!

The question remains "why" though, as I am not sure I know of any employers who "needs" this Cert IV as once was or the Diploma as it is now. After-all I thought it was your licence that provides the employment eligibility.

Just my 2 cents worth.

RB
jimiemick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jimiemick » Fri Oct 11 2019, 11:37

Just passed my CPL-H a few months ago.
All I got was a bit of paper saying I’m now a pilot.

But on social media all I get is Ads saying get a diploma in aviation.
What else do these poor kids get after forking out for a diploma!?!?!?
Or am I missing something ?
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sat Oct 12 2019, 22:45

Typically this whole "diploma of bullcrap" has come about because academics have wormed their way into the aviation world.
these classroom dwellers have never taught anyone to fly, never flown themselves, never done anything but stick their nose in where it isn't needed.
Is someone out there going to tell me that because I did my licence before all this part 61 garbage came that I'm not a good enough pilot. And are they going to tell me that in my past that I've produced a substandard pilot because I didn't teach them as per part 61.
the sad thing is that the idiots in Canberra have no civil aviation experience at all. and until we get a pilot in there things won't change. They'll keep buggering up the industry with over complicated rules that few can understand and that don't work or are impossible to put into practice. And all in the name of "safety", another subject they know little or nothing about.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Oct 13 2019, 04:30

The only thing an employer will check on in terms of paperwork is a copy of your flight crew licence (FCL) and your logbook. A diploma may look 'fancy' to an airline HR recruiter but that's about it.

Return to “Advanced Training”