Recommendations for US CFI

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
helicopspeeder
1st Dan
1st Dan

Recommendations for US CFI

Postby helicopspeeder » Thu Nov 23 2017, 06:29

Hello all,
I am considering doing an FAA CFI rating (I have AUS license). Can anyone recommend some recommendations for training providers in the US please? I need it fairly quickly and of course as cheap as possible.
Thanks in advance.
The voices in my head are debating the lyrics to "Hotel California"
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Recommendations for US CFI

Postby Dauphin » Thu Nov 23 2017, 07:09

Have a look at Mauna Loa Helicopters in Hawaii. Highly recommended (by me!)
helicopspeeder
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby helicopspeeder » Thu Nov 23 2017, 07:17

Thanks Dauphin, I'm looking now.
joni

Postby joni » Thu Nov 23 2017, 09:53

Jerry Trimble Helicopters in Oregon should be able to help you out also.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Nov 23 2017, 10:03

helicopspeeder wrote:Hello all,
I am considering doing an FAA CFI rating (I have AUS license). Can anyone recommend some recommendations for training providers in the US please? I need it fairly quickly and of course as cheap as possible.
Thanks in advance.

Cloud9 helicopters in west palm beach FL.

Switched over all my Aussie licenses and ratings there just under two years ago in under 8 hours flight time and about a week or so. ATP, CFI, CFII, NVG instructor sign off. The owner is a Brit and they will try to get you in and out as efficiently as possible.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
helicopspeeder
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby helicopspeeder » Fri Nov 24 2017, 06:25

Thank you all,
I have sent them all emails but of course they are all shut for Thanksgiving. I did a. It of reasearch as it is the time required to do the CFI that I'm trying to find out. I can only find info for visas and TSA requirements for Private, Commercial etc etc and each seems to have specific requirements, Can't find anything about CFI and converting Aus to FAA and back again. Does anyone know if I can just go to the US and do a CFI without hav g to wait 40-60 days for TSA clearance, then student visa etc?
Thanks in advance.
Lude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lude » Fri Nov 24 2017, 09:03

You need an FAA Commercial or ATP to be eligible to sit a CFI checkride.

You will get your FAA private based on your foreign certificate, there is a paper based process to do this and you will have to visit an FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) to do this to get your paperwork validated. Once this is done you will be eligible to take your FAA commercial checkride, which you will need in order to be eligible to take you CFI checkride.
For your commercial you need to have the night and IFR flight training requirements and your commercial written exam passed. For your CFI you need to have your CFI and Fundamentals of Instruction written exams, two separate exams. The ground portion of the checkride is quite involved with the CFI, as you would expect. It is hard to give you a timeline without knowing more details. From my experience, the best thing you can do is get all the necessary writtens out of the way first and then concentrate on the flying portion. Not sure if there is an FAA exam test centre in Australia to make life easier before you fly to the US.

PM me if you need more info, but from what you have said, you will more than likely need that visa and TSA clearance, especially if it is your initial FAA training and checkrides, but don’t quote me on that.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Fri Nov 24 2017, 14:19

Lude wrote:You need an FAA Commercial or ATP to be eligible to sit a CFI checkride.

You will get your FAA private based on your foreign certificate, there is a paper based process to do this and you will have to visit an FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) to do this to get your paperwork validated. Once this is done you will be eligible to take your FAA commercial checkride, which you will need in order to be eligible to take you CFI checkride.
For your commercial you need to have the night and IFR flight training requirements and your commercial written exam passed. For your CFI you need to have your CFI and Fundamentals of Instruction written exams, two separate exams. The ground portion of the checkride is quite involved with the CFI, as you would expect. It is hard to give you a timeline without knowing more details. From my experience, the best thing you can do is get all the necessary writtens out of the way first and then concentrate on the flying portion. Not sure if there is an FAA exam test centre in Australia to make life easier before you fly to the US.

PM me if you need more info, but from what you have said, you will more than likely need that visa and TSA clearance, especially if it is your initial FAA training and checkrides, but don’t quote me on that.

The above is kinda correct but here’s how things need to happen to get your FAA stuff sorted.

1) get your class 1 or 2 FAA medical, there’s a few doctors in Australia that can do you CaSA and FAA medial at the same time. They consider it an initial even if you have had a CASA class one for years. If you have any medical history then a review board could take few months.
2) submit the FAA form and CaSA form for verification of your Aussie ATPL. You will end up getting an FaA letter of verification of your Aussie license that you will need for your flight test. It’s valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
3) get your ESTA stuff sorted on the immigrations website. You don’t need a visa for training anymore it can all be done under the visa waiver program (it’s now an option on the TSA website for your background checks).
4) submit your application for your TSA security clearance. You will need fingerprints taken, I think there’s someone in Sydney that can do them.
5) book your FAA ATP and CFI written exams through CATS (I used the dauntless Apple apps for exam prep prior to turning up in the USA).

Once you’ve got your written exams in hand and all the other paperwork above then turn up at the Flight school and do 2-3 flights to get comfortable in FAA Airspace and radio calls etc (pretty easy). Have a DPE do your ATP Flight test.

do whatever ground training and Flight training you need for your CFI and then get the DPE to do you CFi Flight test.

For your ATP you need to make sure you meet all the aeronautical experience requirements in FAR part 61.

You don’t need the private license issued through your local FSDO, it actually just complicates things as it’s actually ends up being a totally different certificate number and has (based on a foreign license) printed on it and is only good for private flying in the US.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
helicopspeeder
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby helicopspeeder » Sat Nov 25 2017, 08:29

Thanks Havick,
If I already have a US, fixed wing private from many years ago will it simplify any of the process?

Return to “Advanced Training”