Drone Commander Thread for Droners

UAV's, drivers, builders and the regulations.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Drone Commander Thread for Droners

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri May 29 2015, 00:15

I really don't understand the fierce resistance to this subject. If you're not interested in UAV/drone/UAS operations then don't read the threads!

The whole point of starting these UAV threads on this particular site was to engage EXISTING PILOTS who may want/need to access information or training in the UAV realm. It also means we can have someone like SuperSix1 (who is one of us remember!) provide answers to those on the site who are actively engaged in the UAV arena. I really don't feel like discussing commercial UAV issues on a RC website as you're talking to a different subset of 'pilots'.

In the interests of full disclosure, I recently completed the course that SuperSix1 is currently conducting as the company I work for is considering UAV operations in the future. I found the course quite informative, particularly with regard to battery systems, and had all of my questions, both regulatory and practical flying queries, answered. We were also able to fly various aircraft that he brought along, with the largest one (DJI S1000) worth around $13,000! I believe he has a genuine interest in helping the aviation industry, and those of us in the rotary wing world in particular, to transition into a world where UAV operations are a part of normal day to day activities. And lets face it, that's where it heading. It was a 700km round trip for him in one day and there were only two of us on the course so I don't think he's making millions doing this. Not yet anyway! :D

CH. 8)
Jamie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Jamie » Fri May 29 2015, 02:05

Great to still see my mate selling his products and offending people.
I have no problems with a thread on drones but would like to also get input from people without agendas or customers of my mate. Maybe they're afraid - don't blame them.
Of course, being called numerous childish names and threatened with legal action (none forthcoming - surprise) is a clue to my reasoning.
--
Not sure calling RC enthusiasts 'nobody's' (sic) is a good idea seeing that apart from one pilot, that is the demographic of the whole RPAS (CASA) department.
flyboy111111
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyboy111111 » Fri May 29 2015, 02:45

mdav wrote:If slappers don't want to read about UAV's on BS then don't click on the thread. There are plenty of us that are interested so just move on. Yes RC Groups is the place to go, but there nerds and nobody's so does not hurt for us to talk about it here.

There is also rotary pilots whom want to know about slab wings, so they go to sites specific to there interests.
GreenRange

Postby GreenRange » Fri May 29 2015, 03:03

Supersix1

Can you confirm my understanding of the current UAV laws please?
And please correct me if I'm totally clueless in the given helicopter example too!

Say I was employed to fly a helicopter by a business, to fly the machine they own, doing work only for them. Eg. On a cattle station, or to take photos(internal use only, NEVER released to public) or perhaps inspections of owned plant/site.

Now as I understand it, as long as said machine/flying and results of the flying(read photos) is NOT offered to others outside of the place I am employed, CASA view this as "private" ops so there is NO requirement for an AOC.

However, if instead of a helicopter, it was a UAV, an OC IS required by someone involved. Either me or the owner.

Is this all correct or am I woefully ill informed, even on the heli. ops. part?
GreenRange

Postby GreenRange » Fri May 29 2015, 05:32

Zebt and flyboy111111

I know its an old clip and in a foreign land but surely these ops.:
[youtube]-TdbIEuMvys[/youtube]

Or similar could fall under the scope of a BladeSlapper conversation?

And would fall under the (incorrectly titled) "Drone Operations".

Out of interest, in your view is it still a "model"?
Attachments
P1010082.jpg
Last edited by GreenRange on Fri May 29 2015, 13:36, edited 2 times in total.
SuperSix1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SuperSix1 » Fri May 29 2015, 09:35

Can I respond to zebt's post on the previous page, it was well thought through and had fair and reasonable comments / questions.

On the issue of whether the topic of UAVs should be on BS, I guess the proof is in the response. I have never been so busy in all my life, training folks, responding to questions, phone calls, emails. There is no doubt that there are many slappers to whom this is an important possible future that they want information on.

On 'peddling my product', I haven't even mentioned it for a week. I so don't need to. Every location has a quorum and many I just can't accept any more. To cater for some I have had to miss sleep by running ground school in the evening then flying first thing in the morning. It is really good that by the time I am finished, our industry will have taken a great big step into a mature and realistic future concerning UAVs. Some will be integrating UAVs into existing business, some maybe will have UAV only operations, some will simply be more educated and some will resist the UAV advance even more strongly. That is OK. At least a good number of our heads are now out of the sand.

And if anyone can explain why so many Virgin Aus pilots are wanting training, I am all ears.They clearly lurk on BS. Next time you get on a VA burner, I'd be checking there are actually some pilots up front...
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri May 29 2015, 10:00

I am sure its going to take a few generations before "trust" will be brainwashed into the public before you see them rushing to get on board a pilotless burner.
As I have said before, until the US military start flying their human troops via an automated system then I may consider getting my head out of the sand and god willing i'll be too busy chasing a silly looking ball around a lovely walk to care less.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Fri May 29 2015, 10:24

Your on the wrong thread Flyboy and HP, move your business to drone haters thread, cheers.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri May 29 2015, 11:35

You're*
Nope "mdav" I am not. I thought my opinion was quite clear......I have never said that I hate drones but merely expressed my point of view as to whether or not running out and getting a UAV "certificate" is all that necessary at the moment. The area of the industry I work is a long way off being taken over by semi/automated craft. I will say it again that until its well and truly proven to work for and by the military everyday then I will consider it, and I am not talking about predators etc
Thats all it is, my opinion and if that bothers you then take your four pack of AA batteries and head on down to the local park and talk RC there.
SuperSix1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SuperSix1 » Fri May 29 2015, 16:20

LiPo batteries actually. .
flighttech
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flighttech » Fri May 29 2015, 19:47

I think there is a simple solution to our problem supersix1. Moderators - please start a index threat for RPAS. I think there has been enough banter for a new section to be created. Now there will always been haters in every field. Those Aussies who don't like kiwis taking their jobs, how low timers should not be instructors etc etc. I vote the powers at be make supersix1 and I moderators of the RPAS threads. There is much to discuss. NZ has just launched into part 102 and all becomes active in August. There is going to be lots of questions in sure.

JAIME and the other haters its you opinion but make your point and leave it at that.

For my business it's added revenue for us and value for our customers. RPAS/DRONE integration will happen.

I applaud supersix1 for his trip and those who took the time and did the course. The more of us out there drone qualified the better. Makes us more comfortable sharing airspace with drones and when we are on the sticks more comfortable that helicopters and us won't clash
Jamie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Jamie » Fri May 29 2015, 22:44

. I vote the powers at be make supersix1 and I moderators of the RPAS threads.

Wow, that would be amazing. Don't forget that this person makes a living by selling drones and drone courses. You don't think his moderation wouldn't be biased? Or the fact the he called someone d...less on this website, the attitude required for a moderator?

This is a site for all and should be left as it. The moderators do a good job and if the drone people want to place an opinion, then great.

Having been involved in the UAV for years including manufacturing and operating here and overseas, I felt that the information provided was incorrect and dangerous. Any pilot who considers getting involved should call CASA and get the information direct.
flyboy111111
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyboy111111 » Fri May 29 2015, 23:52

mdav wrote:Your on the wrong thread Flyboy and HP, move your business to drone haters thread, cheers.

Clearly you failed to read my original post or lack common understanding of the English language, I stated and still firmly believe that drones have a major future.... They are just being peddled on the wrong forum
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sat May 30 2015, 00:12

Like it or not, UAV's are definitely here to stay (and so is this category). I see an opportunity for a good flow of information regarding this frontier branch of our industry. Please cease the discussion as to the appropriate place to talk of such things, these devices slap blades, this is Bladeslapper.

Carry on (nicely :wink: ).

flighttech wrote:I think there is a simple solution to our problem supersix1. Moderators - please start a index threat for RPAS...

There already is, you're in it.

drone_ops.jpg
drone_ops.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sat May 30 2015, 02:15

Now as I understand it, as long as said machine/flying and results of the flying(read photos) is NOT offered to others outside of the place I am employed, CASA view this as "private" ops so there is NO requirement for an AOC.

Strictly speaking, if the purpose of the flight is aerial photography then it is Airwork which is a commercial purpose.
GreenRange

Postby GreenRange » Sat May 30 2015, 02:53

Capt Hollywood wrote:Strictly speaking, if the purpose of the flight is aerial photography then it is Airwork which is a commercial purpose.

Thanks for the reply Capt. That was a suspicion of mine and then is the same for UAV ops. it seems.

A follow up then. How about for staff of the same employer transported by helicopter A-B?
A little off the UAV topic I know.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sat May 30 2015, 04:37

Yes, getting a bit off topic but to quickly answer your query that would be a private operation provided the passengers weren't paying to be aboard the helicopter. The exemption to that would be a cost sharing arrangement in accordance with CAR 1988 > Part 1 > 2-Interpretation > 7(A)...

An aircraft that carries persons on a flight, otherwise than in accordance with a fixed schedule between terminals, is employed in a private operation if:
(a) public notice of the flight has not been given by any form of public advertisement or announcement; and
(b) the number of persons on the flight, including the operating crew, does not exceed 6; and
(c) no payment is made for the services of the operating crew; and
(d) the persons on the flight, including the operating crew, share equally in the costs of the flight; and
(e) no payment is required for a person on the flight other than a payment under paragraph (d).
GreenRange

Postby GreenRange » Sat May 30 2015, 05:53

Wow Capt. Thanks for that info.
Very interesting. More questions are forming in my head but I'll ask them in a relevant thread if they become coherent. Lol.

Back to UAVs:

Supersix1,

I believe you do UAV ag. work? In your experience do you see any current demand in Australia for a machine like the Yamaha R-Max I posted earlier? Endurance of near an hour and 30kg load capacity.
Juzz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Juzz » Sat May 30 2015, 08:19

HP

I personally don't think you have anything to worry about with UAVs taking helicopter jobs, their greatest benefit is in supporting heli ops.
However, if they eventually do, all the serious UAVs will use pilots... currently anything flying Beyond Visual Line of Sight requires a completed IREX.

"While the mission was unmanned, a safety pilot was onboard the UAV, in compliance with Federal Aviation Administration rules, said a Lockheed spokeswoman"
"The pioneering flight, largely controlled by a pilot on the ground, took off from Warton, near Preston in Lancashire, and landed in Inverness. Only the takeoff and landing were controlled by an onboard pilot."
SuperSix1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SuperSix1 » Sat May 30 2015, 09:05

GreenRange,

I have no doubt that there is good work for the RMax. In fact I was on an EMS task into YSWG in the 412 when I was informed by ATC that such an acft would be operating in the vicinity.

As a 'large UAV' there are fundamentally similar standards applied to the RMax as to manned platforms. In fact one was demonstrated at a school in Junee recently. The use of these machines goes to show how important experienced UAV operators are going to be, and pilots have and important role here to influence if not provide direction on how those 'experienced UAV operators' are grown.

I am not an RMax driver, my Controller Certificate is for <20Kg, but those operating the RMax are still Certificated UAV Controllers. It is like getting your CPL on a robby, one day you might be on an S92.

Return to “Unmanned Aircraft Systems”