LogTen Pro X

Electronic Flight Bags, Apps and tips.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

LogTen Pro X

Postby Skeeter » Mon Oct 20 2014, 02:34

The new LogTen Pro X is out.

Unfortunately they changed to annual subscription instead of one time payment.
This is not entirely on them to blame cause Apples app store policy doesn't allow payments for upgrades.
Somehow they have to earn money.

One price, all your devices.

The whole LogTen Pro X platform including iOS and Mac is available today, and after 40 hours of flight time are entered in LogTen Pro X for iOS, pilots can purchase a monthly subscription at $6.99 or annual subscription at $69.99.*

And for a limited time, to help pilots make the transition, we’ve reduced the annual subscription for LogTen Pro X by over 50% for the first year to $34.99*. Available now through October 30th!
The Collective
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: LogTen Pro X

Postby The Collective » Mon Oct 20 2014, 05:05

I like Logten Pro but I ain't paying $70 per year for a logbook no matter how many pretty graphs it can draw. If/once support for the old version stops, I'll export the data and switch to a different software or go back to an excel file.

I hope that they will keep the support for version 6 up for quite a while, because this app wasn't cheap.

)c/
jimbob321

Postby jimbob321 » Mon Oct 20 2014, 23:23

I'm guessing the monthly fee only applies to this latest version. Surely they can't make you start paying monthly for something that was purchased outright? Oc:=
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Wed Oct 22 2014, 10:37

No they can't. But they could stop supporting the previous version.
It has been updated to work with the latest (just a few days old) Apple OS X Yosemite so we should be good for at least a year.
junque
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby junque » Wed Oct 22 2014, 12:03

Although free is obviously cheaper , if you fly for a living you can at least get a portion of it back in your tax !

JQ
jimbob321

Postby jimbob321 » Thu Oct 23 2014, 23:56

Greed just doesn't stop does it?!

I love this logbook and I even felt the the price tag was ok (ish) considering how good the interface and usability of the logbook is, but if they think I'll be paying an annual subscription they're sadly mistaken. Surely with so many excel programs around they can't believe this is going to be good for business? Time will tell I guess. :roll:
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Fri Oct 24 2014, 09:15

Coradine is getting quite a response on Facebook. Their (Facebook) site was apparently down for two days.
While I understand where they are coming from, thats close to what I pay for my Photoshop subscription and I get there more then a sophisticated spreadsheet.
Logan Pro is good, but I don't think THAT good and there are alternatives out there.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Oct 24 2014, 16:19

It has been updated to work with the latest (just a few days old) Apple OS X Yosemite so we should be good for at least a year.

Ive just updated to Yosemite OS X on my Macbook and Log ten is working as advertised.

Log ten takes a bit of setting up to individual preferences (sometimes frustrating to start with) but I'm finding it a great electronic logbook now, easy to use. :)
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Sat Oct 25 2014, 22:41

Skeeter wrote:The new LogTen Pro X is out.

Unfortunately they changed to annual subscription instead of one time payment.
This is not entirely on them to blame cause Apples app store policy doesn't allow payments for upgrades.
Somehow they have to earn money.

One price, all your devices.

The whole LogTen Pro X platform including iOS and Mac is available today, and after 40 hours of flight time are entered in LogTen Pro X for iOS, pilots can purchase a monthly subscription at $6.99 or annual subscription at $69.99.*

And for a limited time, to help pilots make the transition, we’ve reduced the annual subscription for LogTen Pro X by over 50% for the first year to $34.99*. Available now through October 30th!

Your first statement is not true. If you want to charge for an upgrade you need too call it something different. Example windows 3.1 windows 95 windows 2000 windows xp windows 7 windows 8

Software is all going to a subscription service. Mircosoft, Adobe are all going that way.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Sun Oct 26 2014, 04:30

100ft wrote:Your first statement is not true.

Pretty sure it is! 8)

Skeeter wrote:The new LogTen Pro X is out.

Unfortunately they changed to monthly or annual subscription instead of one time payment. :P

100ft wrote:If you want to charge for an upgrade you need too call it something different. Example windows 3.1 windows 95 windows 2000 windows xp windows 7 windows 8

Software is all going to a subscription service.

I (personally) have no problem with the subscription service although I paid the full price for the software. It will work for at least another year which is fine with me.
After that I will have a look whats else on the market and if the price is worth the convenience compared to a spreadsheet.
The thing which would keep me off at the moment is the in comparison high price.
One could say its not that much, but on the other hand the software doesn't do that much either and there are (cheaper/free) alternatives.
Time will tell if they made the right decision.

100ft wrote:Mircosoft, Adobe are all going that way.

Adobe for example made Photoshop and Lightroom, a formerly Oc:= expensive piece of software very affordable with 10$/month.
Now you can use it several years before you come close to the old price!

Speaking of free, according to Coradine the Mac App is free and useable without the subscription. Are you just paying for the sync feature / iOS app?
hoverthrust
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby hoverthrust » Mon Oct 27 2014, 14:18

I use log ten pro on the iPhone and Mac. It has been good until Yosemite where it became buggy. I found today it deleted some times but kept the total decimal. I've been complaining to James one of the creators for years now why they can't let me do simple math and subtract decimal time from a value. They come back to me with all this gobbly gook that I'm using minutes and there will be an error to 2 decimal places. The end of the flight is decimal but try and make use of that decimal and they tell you it will go off the minutes. So it makes limits out of calculation. A simple excel program will subtract in decimal. Basically I use it to enter my times each flight and it gives me a nice decimal figure. As other people said it took a lot of setting up to work properly with flight and duty. Bought 3 versions of it at about $100 each. I thought it was a bit steep but persevered hoping they will find a fix. I won't be subscribing to a monthly service that to be honest doesn't even (subtract) work properly. Time to go back to an excel log book.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Sat Nov 1 2014, 06:23

Revised pricing and free for a limited time (Mac version will remain free after that if downloaded before the 8th of November)
My advice is to at least download it. Once downloaded it should remain free in the app store even if deleted from the iOS device.

NEW REVISED PRICING FOR LOGTEN PRO X
Since the launch of LogTen Pro X, I've spent almost all my time in our support queue, email, on the phone, Twitter, Facebook, and even Skype listening to what you have to say, and helping you learn about the new features in LogTen Pro X. I have been passionate about working with all of you to shape LogTen Pro, and Coradine, since it began in 2003. Together, we have created what I believe to be the world's best electronic logbook, and a leading aviation software company focused specifically on pilots.
I've read all your comments and today we're announcing some big changes to how we sell LogTen Pro, a hybrid solution shaped by your suggestions that lowers subscription costs, while enabling what everyone wants: updates for life.

Now through November 7th
-----------------------------------
Mac - Free
LogTen Pro X for Mac and iOS will continue to be a FREE download
iOS - Free download and reduced subscription
Annual subscription will stay at $34.99USD for the first year, and has been reduced 30% to $49.99/year after that
All new feature releases & OS compatibility free for life
Once you have LogTen Pro X, you get all future updates INCLUDING major new features for life

Starting November 8th
-----------------------------------
Mac - $89.99 for life
LogTen Pro X for Mac will have a ONE TIME purchase price of $89.99 - then all future updates, including major new features will be free
iOS - $19.99 for life + $49.99/year
LogTen Pro X for iOS will have a ONE TIME purchase price of $19.99 - then all future updates, including major new features will be free
After 40 hours of total flight time have been entered, LogTen Pro X for iOS will require a $49.99/year or $6.99/month subscription to continue adding flights on iOS
Anyone who downloads LogTen Pro X prior to November 8th never has to pay the one time fee, you get LogTen Pro X on all platforms free, and you pay just $34.99 for the first year, and $49.99/year after that to add flights and sync on iOS. So tell your friends, there's never been a better time to get LogTen Pro!
Download LogTen Pro X for iOS: http://email.coradine.com/t/y-l-iiykujy-jkijiddli-o/
Download LogTen Pro X for Mac: http://email.coradine.com/t/y-l-iiykujy-jkijiddli-b/
Upgrading is easy! Learn more about upgrading to LogTen Pro X: http://help.coradine.com/kb/getting-sta ... gten-pro-x
Already signed up for LogTen Pro X? Awesome! You don't have to do anything, you get to keep the apps free, and your subscription will just be 30% cheaper next year!

ALREADY UPGRADED? GOT QUESTIONS?
We're working as fast as we can to catch up with all of your questions, but wait times are definitely longer than normal. Don't worry, we'll get back to you, we promise! But while you're waiting, we've put together some great resources for you in our Knowledge Base (http://help.coradine.com/kb/)!
Here's answers to two of our most common questions:
Upgrading to LogTen Pro X:
http://help.coradine.com/kb/getting-sta ... gten-pro-x
Troubelshooting iCloud Sync:
http://help.coradine.com/kb/sync-backup ... cloud-sync
Remember - We can't respond to all your comments here, so please contact us at help.coradine.com with your questions!
I, and my team, are at your service,
Noah Lieberman
Founder & CEO

Return to “EFB's”