King Air crash

Loss of licence, TPD, loss of income and more.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

King Air crash

Postby hand in pants » Tue Sep 25 2018, 07:24

I know this isn’t helicopter related but I’m a bit stunned by the way the ATSB have just come out and slagged off pilot, who can’t defend himself and have thrown him and his family under a bus. Greedy bottom feeding lawyers are now saying they will go after the pilots estate for “millions”.
I was always under the impression that the accident investigators didn’t lay blame. I know I now won’t be telling the bastards anything if I’m ever involved in an accident.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Practice
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: King Air crash

Postby Practice » Tue Sep 25 2018, 07:50

Accident investigators look for causes, not blame. There's no evidence of 'slagging off' the pilot in the report; that really is hyperbole.

Bottom feeding lawyers? Maybe. How about the poor families who have lost their husbands because the PIC failed to complete an effective pre-flight or pre-take off VITAL action? No sympathy for them?
Niko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Niko » Tue Sep 25 2018, 08:19

Are you referring to the crash where the pilot failed to turn autofeather on, prior to the aircraft sustaining an engine out during take-off?

Disregard. Found it. https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2017-024/
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Tue Sep 25 2018, 08:35

Hand In Pants, did you actually read the report? I did, and nowhere is the pilot slagged off. You can draw your own conclusions as to the culpability of the pilot but the report doesn't lay any blame. The passengers put their trust (and their lives) in the pilot's hands, and if he was negligent in performing checks which resulted in their deaths then I don't see why he shouldn't be held accountable.
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Tue Sep 25 2018, 11:00

Dunno about any of you blokes, but a thorough pre-flight/pre-take off check is something I never go without, since the law says I'm ultimately responsible as PIC, I don't trust NOBODY but myself when it comes to that!
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Fri Apr 26 2019, 14:34

There is another dimension in checks that was missed in this particular incident.
The trim setting should have been addressed as part of the previous flight post flight actions and housekeeping prior to leaving the aircraft after shutting down. (not confirmed done or otherwise in this case)

There was no suggestion as to why an extreme trim setting would have been required for the previous operation of that aircraft, or whether there was some reason later to have adjusted that control while on the ground between flights and leave it in that position.

Airmanship?

That alone suggests that for some reason the pilot or someone manipulated the trim to that position prior to the last taking off and it was not reset, maybe due to a standard practice by the pilot thinkg he was the only user and that it would always be in a setting for take off or he'd been distracted at some point during the whole process from getting into the aircraft up to and including the take off itself.

I can't think of a single time that I did every check operation only once in a fixed wing from arriving at the tie down point or park, to departing the ground and relied on that single occasion to check everything to get airborne - that's why we have a scan continuously, which includes monitoring the feel of the aircraft as we start, taxi, stop, runup and manoeuvre to the holding point or threshhold. It's easier to do in a fixed wing because you are not airborne yet.

There are times when it is wise to repeat certain elements of the pre start or immediate post start check prior to take off - one of these is after taxiing over cinder/gravel/dirt surfaces when lining up, to conduct a final control check (free and full movement) in case a surface fragment has been blown up and lodged between the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. ( a twin was lost many years ago in these same circumstance in a rural area on a cinder ash surface).
The tailfin/rudder can be affected in the same manner.
I do it as a standard regardless of the surface because FOD can occur anywhere.

That procedure was taught to me by an ex Fleet Air Arm pilot, because military aircraft don't always have the luxury of a sealed runway on land ops.

The twin accident in the rural area happened many years later.

Airmanship and all check lists include shutdown and post flight have a value, its not just being tidy.

Steve
Keep it flying, don't quit!

Return to “Insurance”