Who's Hiring / Fitness standards ?? (Aircrewman)

AKH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Who's Hiring / Fitness standards ?? (Aircrewman)

Postby AKH » Sat Feb 2 2013, 15:12

Hey Crewies...hows things ??

Just after any info Re: Who's Hiring Crewies & General fitness standards for the industry.

I know its been posted here under other titles...but would be nice to have all in here

Cheers & Stay SAFE

8) :) :shock: :D
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Who's Hiring / Fitness standards ??

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Feb 3 2013, 05:54

There are usually no more than a small handful of crewman jobs that get advertised anywhere in Australia and when they do it seems to be highly competitive. It often pays to know someone within the advertising organisation very well if you want a reasonable chance of getting a look in.

It is also not that unusual for some jobs to be filled without advertising as enough resumes may be held on file.

The fitness standards vary from operator to operator and between aircrewman and rescue crewman as do the requirements.
LHSboy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Who's Hiring / Fitness standards ??

Postby LHSboy » Sun Feb 3 2013, 08:56

AKH,

Check your PM's.
helicrewman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Who's Hiring / Fitness standards ?? (Aircrewman)

Postby helicrewman » Wed Feb 6 2013, 00:38

Anyone know of any upcoming openings?
Mred215
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mred215 » Wed Feb 6 2013, 09:28

helicrewman wrote:Anyone know of any upcoming openings?

It's probably unlikely that many of the Qld operators are going to be advertising in the short term, regardless of vacancies, due to the uncertainty with the Qld government contracts. I know we have a vacancy opening up at the beginning of Mar but we're not advertising until a decision, or extension, is made.

Having said that - we do have a vacancy opening up at the beginning of Mar for an Aircrewman/Rescue Crewman (dual role) and anyone interested is welcome to send me their resume, but it may be some time before anything is heard.
astroboy85

Postby astroboy85 » Wed Feb 6 2013, 23:37

Hi mate could you please send me the info on this position and who to send my info to?

Kind Regards,
Max wok

Postby Max wok » Thu Feb 7 2013, 04:47

G'day,

Can you pm me the requirements and location of this future position

Cheers
yeeew

Postby yeeew » Tue Mar 19 2013, 01:59

Does anyone know of and upcoming positions for rescue crewman anywhere in Aus?
Tactical71
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Tactical71 » Wed Mar 20 2013, 09:03

AKH,

In response to your question, I can only reiterate what the others have said about companies having resume's on hand and not necessarily advertising. However the Gov't jobs, Police, Parks, Ambo's etc have to advertise and these are the main ones we see in the papers or on the net. You should also note that the crewing industry is HEAVILY dominated with ex-military loadies and crewies as they have the hours and experience that most companies want. The companies would rather hire someone who can hit the ground running than hire someone who needs training or is relatively in-experienced.

CHC do regularly advertise as they have a large number of contracts around the country, however there are minimum requirements for certain Gov't contracts.

Most companies these days that hire crewies require the following as a minimum:

500hrs
winch endorsement
First aid
EMS/SAR experience

As for fitness, those that normally want a fitness level want a Bronze Medallion as minimum.

But not all companies want these. The smaller ones dont necessarily need all these things. I work as a crewy for a small operation and I dont have anywhere near 500hrs, I have no winch endorsement. We dont have a winch on our machine and its such a small operation that Im only casual. Contacted when required for work. A lot of my work is ground based, although I do occasionally get called up for air ops as a flight crewman.

Hope this helps you mate. Good luck, its a tough area to break into. Its easier to get into the industry as a pilot than it is a crewy.

Cheers
JONNOS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby JONNOS » Wed Mar 20 2013, 10:14

Akh & others,

A bit of time has lapsed since the subject was posted so unclear if this info still of use to you.
Was just looking on australian helicopters site and see they have crewman vacancies

Aircrew

500 hours rotary
CAO 29.11 winch endorsement desirable
Level 2 OHS/First Aid
150 hours SAR/EMS experience
Night SAR/EMS experience
NVG qualifications also desirable

Unsure if this is what you are after but hope is of assistance. Can't help with fitness standards.
JONNOS
feuvolant

Postby feuvolant » Fri Mar 22 2013, 00:57

Australian Helicopters evidently have some positions in Mackay and Rockhampton - check their website for details
AKH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AKH » Mon May 13 2013, 08:46

Thanks Tac71

Appreciate the info....she's a tuff nut to crack alright....persistence pays off hopefully

Cheers & Stay SAFE 8)

Tactical71 wrote:AKH,

In response to your question, I can only reiterate what the others have said about companies having resume's on hand and not necessarily advertising. However the Gov't jobs, Police, Parks, Ambo's etc have to advertise and these are the main ones we see in the papers or on the net. You should also note that the crewing industry is HEAVILY dominated with ex-military loadies and crewies as they have the hours and experience that most companies want. The companies would rather hire someone who can hit the ground running than hire someone who needs training or is relatively in-experienced.

CHC do regularly advertise as they have a large number of contracts around the country, however there are minimum requirements for certain Gov't contracts.

Most companies these days that hire crewies require the following as a minimum:

500hrs
winch endorsement
First aid
EMS/SAR experience

As for fitness, those that normally want a fitness level want a Bronze Medallion as minimum.

But not all companies want these. The smaller ones dont necessarily need all these things. I work as a crewy for a small operation and I dont have anywhere near 500hrs, I have no winch endorsement. We dont have a winch on our machine and its such a small operation that Im only casual. Contacted when required for work. A lot of my work is ground based, although I do occasionally get called up for air ops as a flight crewman.

Hope this helps you mate. Good luck, its a tough area to break into. Its easier to get into the industry as a pilot than it is a crewy.

Cheers
AKH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AKH » Mon May 13 2013, 08:50

Hey JONNOS

Age old problem though....understand the client requirement for the hours....but how do you get 500 hours without being in the job ??

Cheers for the info & Stay SAFE

JONNOS wrote:Akh & others,

A bit of time has lapsed since the subject was posted so unclear if this info still of use to you.
Was just looking on australian helicopters site and see they have crewman vacancies

Aircrew

500 hours rotary
CAO 29.11 winch endorsement desirable
Level 2 OHS/First Aid
150 hours SAR/EMS experience
Night SAR/EMS experience
NVG qualifications also desirable

Unsure if this is what you are after but hope is of assistance. Can't help with fitness standards.
JONNOS
JONNOS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby JONNOS » Mon May 13 2013, 11:55

Everyone has to start somewhere and that is 0 experience. Persistence, a positive attitude and a pinch of luck will get you started, along with a bit of networking. Essentially it's all been said in the earlier posts in this thread so stick at it.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon May 13 2013, 12:31

AKH wrote:Thanks Tac71

Appreciate the info....she's a tuff nut to crack alright....persistence pays off hopefully

Always has been a tough nut to crack but you got it in one with the persistence paying off...eventually. Along with some constant and repeat networking, furthering your skills and knowledge, remaining fit and positive etc you will make it in the end.

For what it is worth, plenty of positions have been filled by people not meeting client requirements in terms of hours. This is where it pays to be 'well networked' and known.
AKH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AKH » Tue May 14 2013, 08:05

Cheers FF......appreciate the advice

Being in WA with only one Rescue Heli limits opportunities as well

Cheers & Stay SAFE

FerrariFlyer wrote:
AKH wrote:Thanks Tac71

Always has been a tough nut to crack but you got it in one with the persistence paying off...eventually. Along with some constant and repeat networking, furthering your skills and knowledge, remaining fit and positive etc you will make it in the end.

For what it is worth, plenty of positions have been filled by people not meeting client requirements in terms of hours. This is where it pays to be 'well networked' and known.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue May 14 2013, 08:45

AKH I may be mistaken however I thought there was more than one machine for SAR in WA.

Aircrewman and rescue crewman, or a combination thereof, are employed in WA with CHC on the RAAF SAR contract at Bullsbrook, on the RAC machine based at Jandakot and I thought a SLSA machine just started seasonal patrols (although you may be fighting 'clubbies' for a seat in that machine).

Bristow also have some SAR capabilities though it is currently structured differently so that engineers are trained for SAR work (aircrew and rescue crew roles) and they are trained and supported by training aircrewman with wide and substantial experience.

If you are hungry for a start and you can make your circumstances suit, you may be best placed to seek opportunities outside of WA. CHC may be your best bet for a start initially as a rescue crewman/tea bag.

Be prepared for the time warp when you cross the WA border heading east :lol:
AKH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AKH » Thu May 16 2013, 09:54

Thanks FF

Explored all those options....apart from the East Coast move....still annoying those mentioned below....see what falls out the tree.

Cheers for the advice

FerrariFlyer wrote:AKH I may be mistaken however I thought there was more than one machine for SAR in WA.

Aircrewman and rescue crewman, or a combination thereof, are employed in WA with CHC on the RAAF SAR contract at Bullsbrook, on the RAC machine based at Jandakot and I thought a SLSA machine just started seasonal patrols (although you may be fighting 'clubbies' for a seat in that machine).

Bristow also have some SAR capabilities though it is currently structured differently so that engineers are trained for SAR work (aircrew and rescue crew roles) and they are trained and supported by training aircrewman with wide and substantial experience.

If you are hungry for a start and you can make your circumstances suit, you may be best placed to seek opportunities outside of WA. CHC may be your best bet for a start initially as a rescue crewman/tea bag.

Be prepared for the time warp when you cross the WA border heading east :lol:

Return to “Rescue Crew / Air crew officer / Winch Op's Required”