New guy looking for advice

BobbyJ04

New guy looking for advice

Postby BobbyJ04 » Wed Jan 20 2016, 01:07

Hi all,

I'm currently in Army Aviation as a groundcrewman but looking to do a cert iii in aviation (aircrewman). My question is do companies look at this qualification? and also who are the best companies to talk to about possible work?

I will most likely be doing the course mid year with careflight.

Thanks for your help in advance.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: New guy looking for advice

Postby mdav » Wed Jan 20 2016, 03:26

Would help if your plans were to become a stewardess, seems it's aimed to cabin crew.
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Wed Jan 20 2016, 05:18

Why dont you become a load-master with the Army?
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
BobbyJ04

Postby BobbyJ04 » Wed Jan 20 2016, 05:25

Due to a minor medical reason that has been written poorly in the defence health manual. I passed the selection board and all other criteria except medical.
Velvetweasel
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Velvetweasel » Wed Jan 20 2016, 19:43

Not too sure about the cert 3 or 4, you'd be better off getting some real world experience, which is difficult to find i know. Start with one of the big companies flying lots on fires with medium twins, United aero are probably the best or helitrek or mcdermotts. Be willing to do a bit of hanger sweeping and fuel truck driving and try to get an medical certificate, at least basic life saving. Its a tough racket to get into but if you persevere there are jobs there. Dont be scared to drive up and visit people with a resume and a good attitude. Anything aviation related on a resume puts you ahead, do a few PPL heli exams like FRTP or nav. Good luck!!
Dont buy Leather shorts online.
helomad
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helomad » Thu Jan 21 2016, 03:49

mate if is just a minor issue as you say, and it is poorly written ie; A bit of a grey area, I would certainly try and push it as far up the chain as possible. Every time you hit a wall go around it or find the next person up until you can't go any higher. ie Chief MO/Chief AVMED. Even seek private medical advice if you have to. If you have already passed selection then you really have nothing to lose. I have seen blokes do this, and win. Chances are, if you can't pass a medical in the army because of a condition that might affect your ability to safely operate as a crewman; then it's unlikely you will get a CASA medical. That being said depending on the organisation, some require a Class 2 and some require a Class 1 - The latter being the harder one.
I would suggest firstly getting your CLASS 1 & 2 CASA Medical before spending 15k on a course. Guess what though? Go and see your AVMED @ the RAP because he/she will be able to complete this for you - FOR FREE. This will save you $200-$600 - All you will have to pay is the CASA Admin fee - around $100 I think from memory. And hey, if you manage to obtain a CASA Class 1 (which is the same for guys flying Commercial Jets) - then it may help your case when you push it up the chain.

As far as courses go. Mixed opinions to be honest. But from all accounts the Careflight one is the best. There are some to stay away from all together, so be careful.I would probably do their Cert 3 AND 4 though. Keep an eye out on CHC' website. They often hire Rescue Crewie trainees off the street with little to no aviation experience. It's a long tough road and common sense and the right attitude will be your best asset. Visit bases and network, network, network. Good Luck and feel free to PM me.
BobbyJ04

Postby BobbyJ04 » Thu Jan 21 2016, 09:21

Thank you all for your feed back it has been great and given me a much better direction to follow.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Thu Jan 21 2016, 10:16

helomad wrote:mate if is just a minor issue as you say, and it is poorly written ie; A bit of a grey area, I would certainly try and push it as far up the chain as possible. Every time you hit a wall go around it or find the next person up until you can't go any higher. ie Chief MO/Chief AVMED. Even seek private medical advice if you have to. If you have already passed selection then you really have nothing to lose. I have seen blokes do this, and win. Chances are, if you can't pass a medical in the army because of a condition that might affect your ability to safely operate as a crewman; then it's unlikely you will get a CASA medical. That being said depending on the organisation, some require a Class 2 and some require a Class 1 - The latter being the harder one.
I would suggest firstly getting your CLASS 1 & 2 CASA Medical before spending 15k on a course. Guess what though? Go and see your AVMED @ the RAP because he/she will be able to complete this for you - FOR FREE. This will save you $200-$600 - All you will have to pay is the CASA Admin fee - around $100 I think from memory. And hey, if you manage to obtain a CASA Class 1 (which is the same for guys flying Commercial Jets) - then it may help your case when you push it up the chain..

Ditto that. So many people turned away due minor medical issues when all they need is the right AVMO to agree it's not going to cause problems in the air and sign off on it - assuming that is the case. If the issue is minor, and perhaps not black and white, I'd definitely chat to your command and explain that you want to remain in service but due the restriction are considering civil employment. Retention's always the preference if possible. I'd go as far as contacting AVMED directly if you hit brick walls - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Return to “Rescue Crew / Air crew officer / Winch Op's Required”