Using a 206 and Octacopter in South Africa

Join Matthew and the team as they trek around Australia.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Using a 206 and Octacopter in South Africa

Postby Footprint Productions » Tue Oct 22 2013, 01:37

Hi All,

I have been meaning to share this for a while to show how a real helicopter and UAV can work together.

https://vimeo.com/39306809

This was filmed in South Africa as a part a 36 clips series I did for Peak Teams last year http://www.peakteams.com.au

Of special note is look for the clips over the top of the elephants, hippo and villages ... it would have been impossible with the 206.

Likewise the fast travelling shots at 100 / 1,500' would have been impossible from a UAV.

There is room for both :) Here is the sizzle clip that shows more shots:

https://vimeo.com/39310302

Cheers
Matt

ps safe flying to all involved with fighting these fires.
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Using a 206 and Octacopter in South Africa

Postby Bedouin Prince » Tue Oct 22 2013, 05:42

Aerial shots or not, that is a work of art. Amazing. I want to see the whole series now.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Oct 22 2013, 06:31

Just brilliant. Amazing quality from tiny cameras, and it is astounding how clean the water is.

It must be a hoot to fly the remote around, surprise people and animals in their unexpected moments. I reckon your goof tape would be worth a fortune!
StickyDingo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby StickyDingo » Tue Oct 22 2013, 07:05

Simply amazing FP. Thanks for sharing it.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Tue Oct 22 2013, 07:47

Thanks guys!

BP, it's a corporate "virtual reality" program about a team who paddles down the Okavango Delta, through crocodiles and hippos. Scary stuff, the guide was almost killed two weeks after the shoot. Unfortunately it's a private show, only the big companies get to see it.

Eric, actually, this was a serious 8 bladed octacopter, total payload was 10kg. Camera was a Canon 7D with 24 -105 plus remote gimbal. Pilot and cameraman used LCD googles to see where they were going and what the camera saw. However you are totally correct, when trying to film a giraffe they lost signal and in she went, managed to salvage the octacopter.

I hope to keep sharing as time permits :)

MQ
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Tue Oct 22 2013, 23:08

Hi Matt,

Very cool mate. Trust you still get to fly you own machine, when not out having fun working !

All the best,
Arrrj

Return to “Footprint Productions Heli Adventures”