The adventure begins ......

Join Matthew and the team as they trek around Australia.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

The adventure begins ......

Postby Footprint Productions » Mon Jul 30 2012, 01:13

Hi All,

I’m very pleased to announce that Footprint Productions has passed the final hurdle on our road to getting an AOC, as many predicted it has taken 14 months!

I'd also like to welcome Richard Brougham as our chief pilot. Richard is ex-RAAF, and his list of aircraft types is very impressive. Huey, Squirrel, 206, R44, F-18 and many others. Richard's focus is completely safety based and he has brought this with him to Footprint. I'm sure you'll be seeing posts from him pop up from time to time.

The future has lots of cools projects on the drawing board, projects that link into the video production background of the company. More to come as it happens.

To celebrate, I’m planning a trip to Darwin and Broome in August.

Below is a draft route of where we are planning to head:

Where the red is our route to Broome and the blue is the return.

It would be awesome if any fellow slappers have some tips on what is good to see and explore. Of special interest is remote stations that we can drop in and say hi. We have lots of notes already but would love to hear from other pilots.

To make life easy up in the Kimberly's, we have a ground support vehicle towing fuel and supplies, so we are not limited by having to bunny hop airports. We also found that Derby Station Supplies will bring drums of fuel out along the Gib River Rd for $65 each! (not including the fuel)

There is an opportunity for people to join us if you feel like going for fly and help with the cost of fuel. We already have a very famous photographer tagging along for 5 days. We depart of the 8th of August for around 5 weeks, so please contact me if you’re interested.

Lastly, we will be posting many short videos on the different areas as we travel North. We will also post a list of cool places that are heli friendly as we go, so others can enjoy at another stage.

Regards
Matthew
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: The adventure begins ......

Postby Nawty » Mon Jul 30 2012, 17:17

Looks like a hoot...any idea the total number of hours for the trip ?....been thinking to do something similar myself one day, but not from down south, only across the top.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Mon Jul 30 2012, 23:49

Hi Nawty,

I'm planning on using a full 100 hour, the machine is getting done right now.

If I cut it to direct > direct it is around 75 hours :))

Will be fun!

Matt
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Tue Jul 31 2012, 06:41

G'day Matt,

Well done. I have done a bit of adventure flying throughout NSW, QLD, VIC and SA...nothing as far north as you are planning (yet). A word of warning, I note that you intend to spend your first night in Bourke. We were planning a trip there and I called a really helpful hotel owner (where I thought we could land) and he suggested we keep well away from the place. The last time someone landed a heli there, the locals were caught with an angle grinder trying to remove part of a Squirrel !

Otherwise it is all fun, some of the local fuel guys are "special"...smoking when filling up the machine. Enjoy.

Arrrj
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Tue Jul 31 2012, 07:13

Don't land next to the Daly Waters pub on washing day.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Tue Jul 31 2012, 10:57

Love the new "Footprint Productions" Topic in the forum, congratulations Mat. I wish I had an Aircraft at the moment so I could join you! I'd definitely try and scheduled a stop in at Mataranka hot springs for some fish and chips and a dip in the hot pool on your way down to Tennent Creek. Well worth the effort.

PS Do you need someone to carry your bags? :)
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Tue Jul 31 2012, 12:19

Hi Pegs,

Thanks for your kind words!

I'll add Mataranka to the research list ... love fish and chips :)

You'll see by the post where we are as I plan to do lots of short videos showing the country side .... if you're in the area, give me shout.

Regards
Matt
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Jul 31 2012, 12:45

If your around the Alice area make sure you visit Gosse bluff crater, Palm valley and Glen helen gorge. An ol stomping ground for myself but moreso for Capt Hollywood!. But unfortunately I don't think you will see the two german tourists that he flew there again!

You can stay at Kings creek station at your peril but there is more fun to be had at Kings canyon resort and would make some great video of the canyon and escarpment there.

Also depending on your time head down over Lake Amadeus on the way to the rock.

There are many great places in the NT it's just a matter of discovery If you and finding the fuel can afford it.

Have a great time it is a wonderful part of our world
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Wed Aug 1 2012, 04:33

The floodplains between Adelaide River and the South Alligator north of the highway....you need to look about a little but there are plenty there and at this time of year I think all the magpie geese will be there....not sure of breeding season...but because of less water out in other areas as it heads towards end of dry season......as you fly over them millions of geese will flock to the sky and a blanket of white will appear before you and under you....if high enough.....makes wonderful photos and video stuff......with the blue skies of the dry season and the sun and blue reflecting off the flooded plains.

I know a waterhole just inside Arnhemland that a huge Barramundi used to live in....just one cast......but its a secret for next time.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Wed Aug 1 2012, 07:34

Thanks Twistgrip & Nawty,

I have already arranged to land at Glen Helen and stay at Kings Canyon. (Thanks PHS for the use of your pad!)

I'll look up the other locations tonight.

We depart on the 8th into Alice on the 10th, then three days in the area. I'll post videos as we go, detailing the area, places to see and lat / longs for others to use.

Going to be awesome to share with everyone!

Regards
Matt
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Wed Aug 1 2012, 11:14

Footprint Productions wrote:Thanks Twistgrip & Nawty,

I have already arranged to land at Glen Helen and stay at Kings Canyon.

Alice springs helicopters operate out of Glen Helen resort and they're quite busy so keep an eye out for them also
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Wed Aug 1 2012, 12:01

Thanks Slapstick,

I call them the other day for permission, they said it should be OK.

I'll be checking in with them in Alice.

Cheers
Matt
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Aug 2 2012, 21:36

You scored well with RB as your Chief Pilot. A nice bloke and knows what he is doing along with it.

Looking forward to the videos.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Thu Aug 2 2012, 22:16

Another station you could arrange a visit too up north would be Labelle Downs, Owned by RM Williams, it's a signature property in their holdings and well set up with guides etc to provide a good insight into station life. http://www.rmwilliamsagthebushexperienc ... life.html#

Cheers
Pegs
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Fri Aug 3 2012, 12:25

Pegs wrote:Another station you could arrange a visit too up north would be Labelle Downs, Owned by RM Williams, it's a signature property in their holdings and well set up with guides etc to provide a good insight into station life. http://www.rmwilliamsagthebushexperienc ... life.html#

Cheers
Pegs

Thanks for that link, was thinking it would be nice to go there with my kids when we eventually get back to that part of the world and go see some of my old country....but then saw the price...crikey....$650 each one day one night......bugger that.....guess we will just swag it in the bush.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri Aug 3 2012, 13:20

I always loved flying around Alice and Central Australia.

If you've looked into Alice you'll no doubt be aware of the Western MacDonnell Ranges, they are spectacular from the air. I've done plenty of aerial filming along the 'Western Macs' for film crews from all over the world, it's a pretty popular spot for generic aerial footage of 'Australia'! Mt Zeil is west of Glen Helen and is the highest point in Australia west of the Great Dividing Range, I landed on it once, nice view from up there, might be worth a look.

If you're flying west from the Alice Airport keep an eye out for Pine Gap, the US 'Space Research Facility', don't fly over it! You can't miss it and the tower will warn you about it anyway. The US Dept of Defence frown on aircraft flying over Pine Gap as I found after a pilot working with me did just that!

As Twistgrip mentioned, Gosse Bluff (A meteorite crater) is certainly worth a look although you'll have to go up quite high to get it all in the shot! Most people think it's just another mountain range when they drive past it!

Kings Canyon is another popular aerial filming spot as is Uluru. If you haven't already spoken to the National Park about filming around Uluru then give them a call tomorrow!! The filming restrictions are very well known amongst the film industry and are the cause for much debate. (Unless you're Qantas of course, then you just 'sponsor' a local community and, 'Voila!' permission to film wherever you want is approved. I saw it happen!) You'll need to attend a briefing by the Media unit where they will inform you of all the restricted areas. They will issue you with a permit to film in, or above, the National Park (You even need a permit to record a sound in the Uluru National Park!! :roll:) and the permit may take a little while if they need to consult the traditional owners although I doubt they'll need to do that unless you're looking for some unusual shot. When Twistgrip and I worked out there you required a Park Ranger on board the aircraft while you were filming and they may want to view the footage to ensure no areas of cultural sensitivity have been filmed. There are a lot of these areas! I don't mean to sound negative but the limitations were a never ending source of frustration for film crews trying to get even the simplest shot and the interpretation of the restrictions often depended on which ranger you got on the day!

I can put you in contact with an Alice photographer who has been in the area for decades and knows all the great filming spots. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Looks like a great trip! I was going to come with you in my personal B3 Squirrel but I didn't win the $50mil last night so that plan won't work!

CH 8)
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Aug 3 2012, 14:29

Great post Holly!...ah yes those were the days, I remember myself and JW calling into glen Helen to see you on the way back from Alice to YKCS after a 100hrly!.

Great memories my friend will never forget it!....

Have fun!
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Sun Aug 5 2012, 11:04

Thanks Captain Hollywood and Twistgrip,

Been flat pout planning and getting work finished before my departure on Wednesday.

I have extended my stay in ALice by 2 days to have a good pock around, then North to Daly Waters > Tindal > Jabiru.

Will make the first video post on the 12th.

Thanks everyone and good luck with the next numbers Captain H, if you win I'll take a Bell 429 :))

Return to “Footprint Productions Heli Adventures”