crow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: letter from CASA re colour vision deficiency

Postby crow » Thu Jun 19 2014, 21:54

Meatloaf,
I too thought the number would have been much higher, given that:

"quote"

Red-green color vision defects are the most common form of color vision deficiency. This condition affects males more often than females. Among populations with Northern European ancestry, it occurs in about 8 percent of males and 0.5 percent of females.

Color vision deficiency - Genetics Home Reference

ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/color-vision-deficiency

"unquote"
Outofwhack
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Outofwhack » Fri Jun 20 2014, 15:48

The number of CVD professional pilots will be more like 400+

Today's national TV coverage on our CVD challenge in Australia.

Nb. Hundreds of Cvd pilots who failed Ishihara and Farnsworth passed the tower light signal test [ forced in by Arthur Pape's court win in 1989] and made it to airline captain and have been flying safely for 25 years.
The pilot in this news item failed even the tower test but is at no disadvantage compared to a colour normal pilot in being able to safely operate according to his airline and check and training captains - yet casa denies him use of his ATPL because he has not passed this last colour naming test - a signal light that could not possibly be used in airline operations. If we win this case all colour vision testing will be redundant! Please help the CVDPA support this pilot to create a very useful international precedent! The 10+ days in court starts next month!

Queensland pilot challenges CASA over colour blindness restrictions - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-20/q ... ur/5540446
Ian McMinn
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ian McMinn » Fri Jun 20 2014, 21:52

Dr Arthur Pape has another court case pending regarding this issue. The last time I spoke to him there was a fund set up to assist the handful of pilots in their court case.

Last November I met one of the fella's involved while getting a lift in the Air Ambulance. He was flying Single Pilot IFR and obviously up to the job.
Outofwhack
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Outofwhack » Sat Jun 21 2014, 09:08

Here's a link to the ABC news item http://youtu.be/iGJFFObtYiA
aussiecop
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby aussiecop » Tue Jun 24 2014, 17:35

And yet again this senator impresses me. I'm thankful for the guys who do suffer from this that there is actually someone from government in their corner, even trying to make the government join the side of the pilot. The thing that confuses me, is shouldn't the government on sound advice be able to just tell CASA to forget about this publicity nightmare and drop it? Isn't CASA a government body? The absurdity of this agency just grows and grows. Add this shemozzle to the pilots that get grounded until their livelihoods are in tatters based on non factual evidence and they just look like a bunch of bullies with agenda's to exact revenge for something that happened to them across all people who can actually fly for a living.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Jun 24 2014, 20:59

Government ministers can't meddle in beaurecratic process. Otherwise the next thing u c is some politician telling the police to leave some guy alone, he's only a murderer. The Police are just a government agency!!

Not saying I agree with CASA, just that the pollies have to b careful what they do.
kh4
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kh4 » Wed Jun 25 2014, 02:50

Superf, I disagree, the ministers are there as a voice of the people and to keep them honest, and as a CVD pilot he is doing that.
well done I say..
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Wed Jun 25 2014, 04:51

I agree with u, but they cannot get involved in the process, it gets far too sticky for them.

Otherwise, where does there involvement stop? Criminals, immigration applications, building consents? Etc.
Outofwhack
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Outofwhack » Fri Jul 4 2014, 13:32

The CVDPA have launched a petition to ask the Deputy PM to intervene and make CASA retract those letters.

Don't mistake CASAs action to be just on your CVD brethren. We are being penalised yet we have 25 years accident free flying - they can just as easily to ground spectacle wearers or those with a BMI over 30. Please help beat CASA back into their hole and sign the petition. 850 signatures already!

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/ ... of-careers
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Tue Jul 8 2014, 10:03

Does anybody know where this issue is up to atm?

I am wanting to start my cpl training soon, and have a cvd. Today I failed the farnsworth lantern test, and will see the opthomologist in the next day or so. After that its up to CASA to see if I will be able to continue on with training. Will post the results.
chrisv_bladeslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chrisv_bladeslapper » Tue Jul 22 2014, 01:30

001s.jpg

got one in the mail...... gutted.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Mon Jul 28 2014, 00:09

Finally received a reply from CASA. Need to have a CAD test before any decision would be made (CASA are no longer issuing class 1's with restictions ie atpl until this test is done - new policy). Funny thing is that there is only one location for the testing. Luckily its in Sydney, does CASA expect others to travel interstate for this test? Oh yeh on top of that its about $440 plus gst
Meatloaf
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Meatloaf » Thu Dec 18 2014, 20:50

Any new goss on this one?
and now for something completely different
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Thu Dec 18 2014, 23:58

Meatloaf wrote:Any new goss on this one?

Meatloaf, I failed the CAD test and have been issued a class 1 with restrictions. Seems the claims CASA had tried to make did not eventuate into anything.

Return to “Medical Talk”