Bifocal/multifocal glasses

Discuss and/or express your disgust about anything Aviation Medical
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Bifocal/multifocal glasses

Postby papillons » Wed Mar 27 2013, 02:37

May have to get 'em soon, interested in Slapper experiences and preferences. Particularly curious re: IF, night ops, overhead and other awkward/close-in panels, NVG, and general observations on helicopter cockpits and operations, and their (I would have thought) near-perfect incompatibility with finicky focal lengths/lines-of-sight disparity...
¡Librame!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Bifocal/multifocal glasses

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Mar 27 2013, 02:48

hey Paps,

Got multi-focals some years ago, the field of view is limited, so you will need to turn your head to get the focal band lined up, then raise/lower your head until the bit you want is in focus. Not possible to leave your head still and move your eyes to the side.

The overhead panel is a trick, you dislocate your neck trying to get it right.

One year I got a bit smarter and ordered upside-down bifocals, making trifocals. Bottom bit for reading plates, middle bit almost no correction, and a bit at the top for the overhead panels.

Waste of money. Worked for the panel, but when I looked outside again it stuffed up the view.

But I also got multi-focal sunglass tint as part of the package - wore them on the golf course one day, expecting the distance correction to allow me to see the ball in the far distance after I have given it an almighty wallop. However the reading-focus-area at the bottom meant that I missed the ball completely. Waste of money, at least for golf.
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Wed Mar 27 2013, 03:14

Hey Eric,

As we non-golfers say: 'Stop it or you'll go blind...'

Yeah, I spent a humorous (not) morning with opto modelling various head and neck angles and poses in an attempt to simulate the various eyeliners...all a bit messy. Can't exactly be fun in cloud at night with a high instrument and chart workload. I imagine it's a matter of adjusting, and I guess if nothing it'll demand a very active, head moving lookout habit. No bad thing.

Bit of experimentation to work through, I s'pose. All complicated in my case of course by the obligation one has to lesser-graced colleagues and the industry generally to continue looking unusually handsome and cool in the cockpit.

Such a burden...
¡Librame!
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Wed Mar 27 2013, 03:27

I've had multifocals for too many years, and they are challenging for some cockpit applications! All that has already been said applies, but as well as multifocal sunnies I have a pair of normal prescriptions that I use for sling loads/water bombing. It was a bit awkward the first time I tried to look at the bucket through the bottom of the multifocals!
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Wed Mar 27 2013, 21:46

Hey Heli,

Yes, I'm thinking along similar lines. I doubt I'll be doing much IF or night flying in the foreseeable and my close-in vision is still passable, so simple prescriptions will serve safely enough for a while. From what I've heard though it does take a while to adjust to using multifocals so I will probably need to start a transition phase at some point.

The scientist who invents a pill to restore youthful eyesight will make as much as the one who invents one to restore hair...
¡Librame!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Mar 27 2013, 23:12

You don't actually LOSE your hair, Paps, it just migrates south and comes out your nose, your ears, and onto your back.

Youthful eyesight? I'd like to see that!
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Wed Mar 27 2013, 23:57

I'm surprised that a fellow of your urbane metrosexuality is yet to make the acquaintance of Mr Back, Crack n' Sack, Eric (although I suppose your handle is a bit of a giveaway).

But honestly, a regular feisty waxing'll take ten years off you. I can give you the number of my man in Oxford Street if you like; he came highly recommended by an Offshore mate...and you know how seriously those cheery lads take matters of personal grooming...;-)
¡Librame!
Crusty
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Crusty » Thu Mar 28 2013, 09:02

I use 1.5's from the chemist and squint alot, works a treat. Have about 5 pairs and all end up in the one spot Cant find em when u need em! I used to think the Asians " No disrespect "could not see properly ! but when I squint everything sharpens up !
cazzaca
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby cazzaca » Fri Mar 29 2013, 03:08

Crusty wrote:I use 1.5's from the chemist and squint alot, works a treat. Have about 5 pairs and all end up in the one spot Cant find em when u need em! I used to think the Asians " No disrespect "could not see properly ! but when I squint everything sharpens up !

Or it's stigmatism and you need a proper script for them :P
Crusty
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Crusty » Fri Mar 29 2013, 08:58

Nah got the proper presciption!
But only got one pair and can never find them. I seem to manage the medical evey 12 months, so no isssmm involved
Apparentlly!
Hotshot 64

Postby Hotshot 64 » Tue Apr 2 2013, 07:29

I am just trialing bi focal hard contacts, take a bit of getting used too but so far working well. you do not get the horizontal distortion and the outer circumference contains the reading bit so should be ok for looking up panels as well.
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Tue Apr 2 2013, 08:03

Very interesting, haven't heard of that option.

Is this a new thing, do you know?
¡Librame!
Hotshot 64

Postby Hotshot 64 » Tue Apr 2 2013, 11:11

I think they are relatively new in Australia, mine are made in the US and so far have had them re worked once (takes about 10 days turn round) apparently not all opticians like them because of the time it takes to get right. cost is around A$600 and if you are not happy with them ie comfort then you can get $ 400 back.
worth a try I thought
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Tue Apr 2 2013, 19:32

Thanks hotshot...can you pass on the US company name so I can do a bit of research? PM if you prefer. Cheers.
¡Librame!
Hotshot 64

Postby Hotshot 64 » Wed Apr 3 2013, 05:46

http://www.allaboutvision.com/
art optical is the US company but I will be trying out some proclear soft ones as a comparison, soft ones are aparently easier to wear but not as crisp, I am finding it tough with the hard ones but that is normal until you get used to them,
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Wed Apr 3 2013, 07:01

Thanks again, hotshot.
¡Librame!
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Wed Apr 3 2013, 11:17

You can get multi focal contacts as well. I tried them but every time I blinked I had blurred vision for the next 3-4 seconds. Apparently the lenses were rotating due to an astigmatism. If you go for multi focal glasses be careful where you get them. I paid over $500 for a pair from a major "budget" chain and they were dreadful. Had never tried them before so I didn't know whether it was my problem or they were just badly made. Of course the dealer told me it was my problem and I just had to get used to them. Gave up after a few tries. Very reluctantly tried multi focals again recently. Half the cost of the others and definitely wearable. I only use them for nights though. A few of us are looking into refractive lens exchange (in Thailand!) but no-one wants to go first.
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Thu Apr 4 2013, 01:31

Cheers dauphin, I'll keep investigating. And I'll let you know if I stumble onto restorative miracle drug or ancient secret herb...
¡Librame!
Hotshot 64

Postby Hotshot 64 » Thu Apr 4 2013, 12:40

I had the same problem with my mk 1 lenses, they were too small and every time I blinked they move with the eye lid, mk 2 are bigger and that does not happen any more, if I am still not happy after 6 months then I get full refund of the lenses but not the fitting, aprox a $200. Wearing is not for the feint hearted and takes a bit of will power

Return to “Medical Talk”