Advice for those looking for work

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
Cape York CP

Advice for those looking for work

Postby Cape York CP » Tue Feb 28 2012, 11:06

Hi to all on Bladeslapper,

I wanted to give some information to pilots looking for work, particularly low hour ones.

Firstly, I would like to point out a few DONT's that are a constant cause of frustration for myself and office staff.

Dont - call after 1730 on the time zone of the company. Calls at 8pm on a Sunday are simply rude. There are very few VFR operators who have the office open or a CP available to talk to at that time, and usually have someone on call who really doesn't appreciate a "want to be employee" interrupting their evening. While some tourism operators are open on weekends and may not mind, generally avoid weekend calls unless you have been told otherwise. Emails are always a good option.

Dont - call having no idea about the company you are calling. It is your first contact with the company and asking a CP "where are you based and what do you do" looks very unprofessional and like your not that interested. At least have a look at their website and get a rough idea about the company before ringing or ask someone who knows about them. There is nothing wrong with clarifying something if you have made an effort.

Dont - ask what the pay is on the first phone call or email. If the company is interested in you and has a position available, they will make it known then.

The DO's i think should be fairly obvious so other to say good luck to all junior pilots looking for work and thanks to those showing interest in CYH, i'll leave it there.

Cape York CP.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Advice for those looking for work

Postby Rotorpilot » Fri Jan 31 2014, 23:43

Cape York CP wrote:Hi to all on Bladeslapper,

I wanted to give some information to pilots looking for work, particularly low hour ones.

Firstly, I would like to point out a few DONT's that are a constant cause of frustration for myself and office staff.

Dont - call after 1730 on the time zone of the company. Calls at 8pm on a Sunday are simply rude. There are very few VFR operators who have the office open or a CP available to talk to at that time, and usually have someone on call who really doesn't appreciate a "want to be employee" interrupting their evening. While some tourism operators are open on weekends and may not mind, generally avoid weekend calls unless you have been told otherwise. Emails are always a good option.

Dont - call having no idea about the company you are calling. It is your first contact with the company and asking a CP "where are you based and what do you do" looks very unprofessional and like your not that interested. At least have a look at their website and get a rough idea about the company before ringing or ask someone who knows about them. There is nothing wrong with clarifying something if you have made an effort.

Dont - ask what the pay is on the first phone call or email. If the company is interested in you and has a position available, they will make it known then.

The DO's i think should be fairly obvious so other to say good luck to all junior pilots looking for work and thanks to those showing interest in CYH, i'll leave it there.

Cape York CP.

sorry but saying the do's are pretty obvious after stating what you just have is a little pre conceived :lol: I thought what you have just said was obvious :wink:
but hey I guess there is all sorts in all industries pop;
Dem winds are gonna blow
bryangreen
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bryangreen » Sun Feb 2 2014, 23:42

I don't think this helps……….This is the same with ANY JOB! weather you are looking for a helicopter job or a job working at a supermarket.

How about helping with some real advice, Like:

Instead of making a phone call you go see them!

maybe dress like a pilot wanting a job!

Also every low hour pilot has pretty much the same qualifications as the other guy. So sell your self on what else you can do, or what you did do before you got your licence, like: maybe your an computer whiz and can help with web sites or social media! Or you are good with book work or accounting etc

This would be much more helpful
Sheldon Cooper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Sheldon Cooper » Mon Feb 3 2014, 02:48

I can't see why discussing pay on first contact is a problem. If the candidate thinks the rate is too low he can walk away and look elsewhere and nobodies time gets wasted .
I have employed plenty of people and I would rather explain the rate of pay as soon as possible into the process.
As far as I can see if an employer is not comfortable discussing wages it is because he knows they are too low.
walligator

Postby walligator » Mon Feb 3 2014, 05:15

And as for getting phone calls on Sunday night, get used to it being a CP. Its part of running a business.
its allgood
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby its allgood » Mon Feb 3 2014, 07:03

As the former cp and person who put the original post up, I'll respond....
bryangreen, I posted what annoyed me and meant that if you do any of these things mentioned, forget anything else I won't look at you further even if you are recommended by people I know, so I believe that is real advice and the fact I gave it meant that it wasn't a one off but this was happening a lot, bearing in mind that I hired a lot of new pilots and saw a lot of resumes etc in my role. But if you feel that my advice wasn't helpful, ignore it and good luck to you and anyone else who does.
Sheldon cooper, I had no problem discussing wages and conditions with pilots, ask any pilot I employed and I'm sure they'll agree that I was up front and forthcoming with that information however, when you call don't say hi I'm John smith, fresh out of school, and what do you pay? If I thought you were a chance or was looking at you, I would make the conditions and pay known very early in the peice.
Walligator, I had no issues with employees calling me about tasks etc, any time of day or night, my point was that I found it rude for people straight out of school looking for work to call outside of office hours, particularly that late on a Sunday. Again though if you find it ok, go for it. Just hope I'm not the one you're calling for a job one day as that will be as far as you get with me.
notar

Postby notar » Mon Feb 3 2014, 08:28

There seems to be a lot of jobs posted lately which is good to see.
Does anyone have any advice on where to look for a second job ideally turbine.

I've just finished my 2 year apprenticeship and 1000+ hours in an R44 and looking for the next job with turbines which my current employer doesn't have.
Seems a first turbine job is just as hard to get as your first flying job if you don't have anything to progress onto.

My passion is for airwork and sling etc, so I'm hoping I don't have to start from scratch with another company doing full time charter in a 44 just to progress.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
leftseat

Postby leftseat » Fri May 2 2014, 04:36

Hi Guys,
Useful advice. I'm quite new and looking for work in the industry so as obvious as most of this advice should seem, it's easily overlooked by a "newbie" like myself when grasping the best angle to strive for; could be somewhat intimidating for many people I imagine....Though common sense and manners should be obvious.
I am finding it frustrating asking people in the industry that I meet, for their advise. Not to be rude but as soon as some "industry professionals" realize I'm green, the advise becomes an arrogant show of their achievement and I feel like I shouldn't be wasting their time.
I'm part way through my theory, currently a crane operator and also hobby as an electronics enthusiast; designing and building computers (gyroscopic/sensor stuff) at circuit level. I don't expect anyone to throw their time and attention at me but would be a good employee in any under-skilled hanger position. I know my way around a broom :p
I live in Brisbane and am free weekends if anyone with genuine opportunity potential is looking for a volunteer. That said, I would change employers for a paid position.

Appreciate any advise no matter what,
Thanks in advance. Darren Morgans
DAKOTA
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DAKOTA » Sat Mar 4 2017, 08:03

And be prepared to spread your cheeks a little.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Sat Mar 4 2017, 09:08

notar wrote:There seems to be a lot of jobs posted lately which is good to see.
Does anyone have any advice on where to look for a second job ideally turbine.

I've just finished my 2 year apprenticeship and 1000+ hours in an R44 and looking for the next job with turbines which my current employer doesn't have.
Seems a first turbine job is just as hard to get as your first flying job if you don't have anything to progress onto.

My passion is for airwork and sling etc, so I'm hoping I don't have to start from scratch with another company doing full time charter in a 44 just to progress.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My advice;

Move to another company (that has a mixed fleet of turbine and piston) and fly their 44's for a bit, prove your worth and they will train you up and give you not only the turbine endorsement, but also the turbine work afterwards.

I would say this is how the majority of pilots make the transition across from Piston to Turbine. Good luck.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Sat Mar 4 2017, 09:49

DAKOTA wrote:And be prepared to spread your cheeks a little.

HA! Sound advice
DAKOTA
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DAKOTA » Sat Mar 4 2017, 20:07

heli2o wrote:
DAKOTA wrote:And be prepared to spread your cheeks a little.

HA! Sound advice

LOL! It's not that bad, but do be careful not to fall into the "yes man" trap as some operators will try to take advantage of you as a junior.

Remember your time is worth something, they will either respect that or you move onto something better.
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby County » Sun Mar 5 2017, 23:56

When they do ring at 8 pm on a Sunday looking for a job, with no knowledge of the company, and asking how much the pay is ...... they should not be surprised they got told to F off.
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby County » Mon Mar 6 2017, 01:08

Other than picking up a broom and sweeping the hangar floor or a sponge and washing a helicopter, what does a new commercial helicopter pilot have to offer a company ?? Helicopter engineers apprenticeship is five years and the pay is woefull, but stick it out and you got a real shot at good work. A fist full of dollars and six months for a CHPL is no apprenticeship.
When I got my license, the CASA testing officer said to me you have passed your flight test which only means you have a license to learn. You know nothing about anything really and as far as looking for a job you really have to find someone who will teach you and who firstly needs to be comfortable that your worth teaching.
From humble beginnings big things happen, and if you look in any stream the rolling stones gather no moss.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Mon Mar 6 2017, 11:55

County wrote:Other than picking up a broom and sweeping the hangar floor or a sponge and washing a helicopter, what does a new commercial helicopter pilot have to offer a company ?? Helicopter engineers apprenticeship is five years and the pay is woefull, but stick it out and you got a real shot at good work. A fist full of dollars and six months for a CHPL is no apprenticeship.
When I got my license, the CASA testing officer said to me you have passed your flight test which only means you have a license to learn. You know nothing about anything really and as far as looking for a job you really have to find someone who will teach you and who firstly needs to be comfortable that your worth teaching.
From humble beginnings big things happen, and if you look in any stream the rolling stones gather no moss.

Wow so this is the closed minded employers that newbie pilots have to deal with? Have People forget their first job or chance they were given?
I know miners, lawyers marketing guys and many other professionals who are trying their hand at helicopters.

Seams that from what I've seen for some guys diversifying a skill set or gaining some new skills doesn't seam to have any relevence these days. It's all catch phrases and prove you're keen buy working for nothing. Does earning your stripes take precedence now more than ever or do employers have such a free flowing line of new pilots wanting work that they can just turn them out and then get a replacement. Some Kind of a fashion these days, that way of way of thinking that is.

I've seen some good pilots come through that don't match up on paper but have been a great employer. Same for guys who have had it all up front but no conviction or gutso.
It's Interesting seeing different points of view but I think Sir Richard Branson said it best in one of his famous quotes. You know what I'm talking about.
Dem winds are gonna blow
Morty81
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Morty81 » Mon Oct 22 2018, 07:21

County wrote:When I got my license, the CASA testing officer said to me you have passed your flight test which only means you have a license to learn. You know nothing about anything really and as far as looking for a job you really have to find someone who will teach you and who firstly needs to be comfortable that your worth teaching.

That's quite good advice. I am about to do my flight test in the coming week, and have no misconceptions, nor preconceptions, about how difficult it is to get 'cemented' in this industry. I spent 15 years in the Army, followed by 13 years with Defence as a civilian. In both of these jobs, you don't go setting the world afire after your initial training. The training gives you the absolute basics to 'survive' and not look like a goose. There is still a lot of training to do, in and especially out of the aircraft, as a commercial pilot. Reputation is a big thing in 'small' industries, as the Army and Defence writ large is, and so if you come in with no logical common sense, you're going to get found out and booted! That's life.

Having said all of that, I agree that you don't become a 'yes man/woman', and you shouldn't have to 'spread your cheeks' and just take the crap that some employers may try to dish out.

It's a fine balance, and depends on individual context and previous life experience. I actually thought the initial advice, while common sense, was well made, because obviously there are some who either don't know, or who are trying so hard for that first break, they forget.

Anyway, back to my study for the flight test, and then thinking about a job, even ground crew for a short period to do my time before getting to the flight line! :-)

Return to “Pilots Required”