How hard is it

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
colby
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

How hard is it

Postby colby » Wed Feb 26 2003, 17:20

Is it just me or is really really tuff out there at the moment.
I have 3300+ hours, 1000+ hours turbine (206, 500, 120) sling and NVFR. I can't seem to get the intrest of anyone as far as work is concerned.
Are others finding it as tuff to find work?
Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

Ready to wall away!
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: How hard is it

Postby Ray McCooney » Wed Feb 26 2003, 18:08

Colby, there has been a few jobs advertised for people with your experience recently..

Heliwest.

Commercial Helicopters.

Vic Police.

Jayrow. MPT Port Headland.

These are just ones I have seen advertised, I am sure there are more by word of mouth, cold calling etc.....
Ray
colby
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby colby » Wed Feb 26 2003, 19:50

Thanks Ray,
It Just gets a little confussing when you talk to people, they sound all excited about using you but you never hear from them again or bother to call you back!
:?
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Wed Feb 26 2003, 21:56

I think you're right Colby, things are a bit tough at the moment. I have the virtually the same hours/qualifications as you do with a few more turbine hours and have also found it hard to get work lately. I have picked up some contract work for a couple of months but not sure what I'll do after that. I've also considered walking away from aviation for a while and doing something a little more secure, though not necessarily as enjoyable.

Being married and owning a home also changes things! I have spoken to Heliwest and believe they would be a good company to work for. The problem is I can't afford to move to Perth and am not sure I want to give up my friends/lifestyle/east coast proximity to other east coast locations, just so I can say I'm a helicopter pilot. I got howled down on the dark side for saying that it's just a job but that is what it is, a job. It's a job we all like/love to do but in the end there are other, more important, considerations.

I'm an eternal optimist and have a habit of falling on my feet so something will turn up........ eventually!

Good luck.

CH.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Feb 26 2003, 22:56

Captain, how true it is. It's just a job, a good one, but still just a job.
If I thought I could make the same money with the same effort (or lack of) I would drop flying like a hot spud.
People that carry on about doing it for the "love" of flying, need to get outside a bit more.
True it beats driving a truck for a crust, but I would go back on the hyway in an instant if I do my pilots licence for medical/idoit reasons.
Things are tough out there at the moment but they will improve, money will flow an jobs will open up.
Colby, keep trying, with those hours something will happen.
Good luck and let us know if you get a start.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Wed Feb 26 2003, 23:48

H.I.P, I've just spent the last week flying some mining mob about checking out their assests.
If I was to drive a truck in the mines for them i'd start on $78K, and get close to $100k with allowances and work 9 days on, 5 days off and they're hiring!

Pretty tempting, considering salaries in our industry.

Yak.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Feb 27 2003, 02:07

Yakking
Those figures are real close to what a new co – pilot would start on flying off-shore. Roster is 15 on (inc travel), 13 off. :D
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Thu Feb 27 2003, 19:35

SKYPIG,
This is true, but fortunately/unfortunately I work onshore and don't get anywhere near that :-(
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
swami
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby swami » Fri Feb 28 2003, 00:53

Afternoon,

Yakking which mine? Sounds like a good interim job?

Skypig, I guess the only diference is for the time being, is the mines are hiring now and from what I understand people at Bristows/CHC are being asked to take leave, which obviously means there won't be any recruiting going on there for a while.

CH, and for it just being a job, mate I agree, a bloody awesome job but still a job and like you said there are other things to consider, we can't keep dragging our families all over the country side. I think, even though it is hard, we need to know our direction, find a place where you can be happy and keep trying.

SWAMI
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Feb 28 2003, 04:19

This is true, but fortunately/unfortunately I work onshore

I hear you, loud and clear :?

Skypig, I guess the only difference is for the time being, is the mines are hiring now and from what I understand people at Bristows/CHC are being asked to take leave, which obviously means there won't be any recruiting going on there for a while.

Very true, and valid.
I think it’s good that, (when they are hiring) there are flying jobs (not to every ones taste) available that provide pay and conditions competitive with higher paying, “normal” jobs (Mining jobs have long been considered “well paid”) :D

Also, many off-shore positions allow you to live where you want. **^**
phugoyd

Postby phugoyd » Sun Mar 2 2003, 03:23

Thats all well and good guys but the s#!t hit the rotor in the offshore world as well. There are a lot of guys sitting around getting paid to stay at home, taking any leave available and coming up with other ways to stay employed during this downturn. I can only see this being affordable until our leave runs out. No company can pay its staff to sit around for ever. There is talk about future contracts and lets hope it all comes soon or you will be competing with a bunch of multi engine IFR pilots for jobs as well. :)
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun Mar 2 2003, 06:24

And it's only going to get tougher once the world doesn’t need oil anymore. :D
Most of the guys sitting around are just making room for training the new crews up – hardly “The s#!t hitting the fan”. IMHO
8) 8)

Return to “Pilots Required”