AFAP, AHIA and super?

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

AFAP, AHIA and super?

Postby Rotorpilot » Fri Mar 1 2019, 09:09

Hello Fellow sappers.
Was advised by a previos aerosexual it might be wise to have a look at AFAP.
Just after peoples thoughts?

Also on any recommendations for Super?

And AHIA?

Cheers. pop;
Dem winds are gonna blow
Friendly Black Dog
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: AFAP, AHIA and super?

Postby Friendly Black Dog » Fri Mar 1 2019, 20:25

The AFAP is a no brainer simply on the grounds of the loss of medical insurance...nothing else on the market comes near it. The fact that they can provide guidance on legal matters (and actually step up to fight for you) is nice to have... hopefully you’ll never need it.

With regards super everyone is different. Host Plus have the lowest fees with consistent results.

Regard

FBD
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Mar 2 2019, 02:26

I agree with FBD and his statements above.

The AFAP is a great membership to have regardless. There are a lot of benefits to being a member away from the usual ‘industrial’ support they lend when it’s necessary. There is also a progressive welfare support program for members and their family, regular training by AFAP officers, advice and support for matters with CASA, after an incident/accident etc and various discounts for being a member. Cost is 1% of salary and is usually tax deductible if not covered by your employer.

You will also need to be a member to access the professional loss of licence scheme offered through the Australians Air Pilots Mutual Benefits Fund. The latter also serves as a life insurance policy. You will very likely not find a better policy anywhere!

As for super it’s very much a personal choice. Quite a few colleagues of late have transferred balances to larger industry funds such as Hostplus for better returns and lower management fees.

It also pays to carefully investigate premiums paid for life insurance within your super fund as they are oftentimes ‘hisden’ and reasonably expensive for a small and insufficient amount of coverage. I found significantly better coverage outside of a mainstream fund through a broker at Country Wealth however I also have a self managed fund which allows for some flexibility in that regard.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Tue Mar 5 2019, 05:37

Thank you for the responce and information guys. (c:_ol
Dem winds are gonna blow
3rdtimelucky
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 3rdtimelucky » Sat Mar 16 2019, 09:24

Hi guys,

As a contractor, hopefully temporary, with AFAP I’m presuming I can’t get loss of licence cover due to not being employed ?!
Friendly Black Dog
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Friendly Black Dog » Sat Mar 16 2019, 11:15

If you pay the premiums I think you’ll be fine :D

Return to “Pilots Required”