500 hour pilot required Thursday Island

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
Ben Geaney
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

500 hour pilot required Thursday Island

Postby Ben Geaney » Wed Nov 21 2018, 04:39

iSource Logistics are looking for an R44 pilot to be based on Thursday Island for charter flights in the Torres Straight region.

We operate 2 B206 and 1 R44 aircraft. Our current pilots have a trade background which supports the work we do, and it would be beneficial if our new recruit had similar skills (diesel fitter, electrician etc).

Required -

~500 hours
R44 endorsement and operational experience
ASIC
DG

Preferred -

B206 endorsement
Overwater experience
Trade background

Note this is a live on Thursday Island position (accommodation supplied for pilot only) and is not a touring role. We will not discriminate, however the role is definitely suited to a single person.

Pay will be in line with what you can offer, but the award at a minimum.

Please send cover letter and CV to ben@sasheli.com.au

Cheers
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: 500 hour pilot required Thursday Island

Postby lowlevelhell » Wed Nov 21 2018, 09:31

If I had 44 time I'd be all over this!
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Nov 21 2018, 23:54

No minimum 44 hrs?
Do they assume people would have flown scenics to get to 500hrs?

Looks good for those that dont have 150hrs R44 PIC etc for some other job ads. My otherwise useless 22 hrs would come in handy for that.
Ben Geaney
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ben Geaney » Thu Nov 22 2018, 11:55

ChicoCheco wrote:No minimum 44 hrs?
Do they assume people would have flown scenics to get to 500hrs?

Looks good for those that dont have 150hrs R44 PIC etc for some other job ads. My otherwise useless 22 hrs would come in handy for that.

If you’ve got 500 hours, you should be able to work out how to fly a 44 pretty simply... if not I’ll work that out pretty quick.

Cheers
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Thu Nov 22 2018, 12:46

Ben,

I have shot more straight in or 180 or 360 autos in R44 than I care to count. My time is some night, hood, mostly advanced maneuvres after my VFR FI flight test. In meagre 40 Raven 1 or 2 hours, incl some 6000+ DA/MSL time.

So yes I do not fit the typical Aus based 500hr pilot.

So your jab/remark at "working out" stuff is superfluous. Seen too many ads for 44 scenics wanting PIC or time on type in 100-300hr bracket on AFAP or here.

Not everyone flies 44 out of training as is common in Australia. Some flew 22 instructing it. Or other type of work/copiloting with right passport or cashed up and right time a la Europe.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Thu Nov 22 2018, 20:49

ChicoCheco,
I think you may have misinterpreted the original advertisement. Ben asked for 500 hours total time with operational experience on the R44. He didn’t ask for 500 hours on the R44.

Following your concerns regarding the minimums, Ben then went on to explain that you should have no trouble flying an R44 with 500 hours experience, & during a check ride he would be able to determine pretty quickly what level your flying was at.

I hope this explanation helps you out, reading the post I could see the conversation being derailed due to a misunderstanding & I hate to see opportunities for low hour pilots squandered due to misunderstandings.
Despite a possible misunderstanding, if I was a recruiter I wouldn’t care how many hours you had I wouldn’t give you an interview let alone a job purely because of the attitude displayed here. Good luck with your search.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Fri Nov 23 2018, 10:20

pop;
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Fri Nov 23 2018, 13:18

Heliduck,
I am NOT asking for the job and my post was along same lines - good for those who have the hours but not heaps of 44 time.

Finding myself 'ineligible' for most of the ads asking for 100-250hrs R44, is indeed annoying. Even if my hours flown were more manoeuvre intensive than scenics, but on wee 2 seater brother.

Operational experience was not defined. I should assume flying tourists/charter.

Read my words as you wish, but the response had undertone about whether I can work out flying 44 and such with said rotary TT.
Are there Aussie pilots with half grand hours who'd not muster check flight with Ben? I hope not.

Considering I have come across here or in real life where Aussies look down on FAA or US trained pilots, hm. I am just foreigner who has meant to make this country home half of life. Then I had "fun" with CASA and lived here.
Roundhill150
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Roundhill150 » Fri Nov 23 2018, 18:40

Chico, the huge chip on your shoulder will probably make keeping within longitudinal Cof G limits impossible for you anyway
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Nov 23 2018, 21:25

ChicoCheco wrote:Heliduck,
Finding myself 'ineligible' for most of the ads asking for 100-250hrs R44, is indeed annoying. Even if my hours flown were more manoeuvre intensive than scenics, but on wee 2 seater brother.

Welcome to aviation where no matter how many hours you’ve logged or experience you’ve attained someone else will always be more qualified and experienced. Sadly, you need to overcome your frustrations and keep plugging away towards attaining whatever minimums it is that you need.

I can’t help but think you have taken the advertisement out of context. If you’re close to the minimums and are interested by all means apply for the job. However, picking apart a job advertisement is not helping anyone. Ben is entitled to ask for whatever minimums he sees as being suitable for the operation. Respect it else leave it alone.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Nov 23 2018, 21:52

ChicoCheco wrote:Operational experience was not defined. I should assume flying tourists/charter.

Copied & pasted from the original advertisement - “R44 endorsement and operational experience”.

Again, I think you misread the original advertisement then went on a rant displaying your frustration at not being offered positions previously. Ironic that the 1 advertisement which DOESN’T require the minimums which you are frustrated about is the 1 role which you didn’t apply for but chose to lambast on a public forum.
What was I expecting when I entered into this discussion? - “Thanks Heliduck, I missed that detail when I first read the ad”.

I understand your frustration, I can’t get a job in a skycrane because I don’t have the minimum hours required. As FF said earlier, this is the nature of the industry & never goes away until you achieve a seat in the machine where you no longer have ambitions for anything else, then you’ve made it. That seat is different for all of us so pick your goal & work towards it. Its natural to be disappointed & frustrated, but if it eats you up inside each time you don’t meet a minimum then I’d suggest you walk away now.
I regret offering advice to you so I’ll be sure not to do it again, I thought it might be helpful but I see now that you’re cup is full & you have no room for anything I have to offer.
Cancel SAR, I’m out.
"Plan twice...Fly once"

Return to “Pilots Required”