Ground Crew Position West Coast

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
heli2016

Ground Crew Position West Coast

Postby heli2016 » Fri Sep 29 2017, 00:09

Helicopter Ground Crew Required

We are a busy West coast tourism and commercial based operator seeking suitable applicants to join our team for our upcoming summer season. Applicants will be hired for loading and also front line sales. Staff accommodation is provided. You do not have to be a pilot for this position.

Note this is a ground based position but for the right person with a new CPL (H), experience loading H500 and/or AS350 and keenness to work hard there is a possibility of working through the ranks to a flying career – be realistic, this will not come without commitment, hard work and patience. Ground crewing for 2 to 3 years before advancing to ferry time is a very real possibility. There are no shortcuts and only the most committed will be successful.

. Send CV's to accounts@scenic-flights.co.nz
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Ground Crew Position West Coast

Postby SIR_SMP » Fri Sep 29 2017, 07:27

Translate:

Be realistic we want newbies likely for a rate and conditions that we could not advertise a position for on seek but if you just forked out for a CPL and have a dream in your head, work really really really hard and cheap there deffinately might maybe be the real possibility of becoming a blade washer

Form a single line for the race to the bottom
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Sep 29 2017, 09:18

I don’t see a problem with this job advertisement.

The company are posting what appears to be honest details regarding the job. If people don’t feel the position is suitable for them personally then they shouldn’t apply. The insinuation of cheap labour is just that. Also note that pilot qualifications are not necessary...however...

The part about committing for a while and progressing to a flying position is what ‘most of us have to do’ and it’s on offer with this company.

A colleague who is here with me overseas started in a similar fashion working in a non-piloting position. Move forward circa 6-8 years later he’s on his second twin endorsement flying offshore. That commitment paid off...in spades and some!

We need and want jobs like this advertised for all levels of the industry, from the ground loader to the ME IFR EMS gigs etc. If people don’t feel positions are suitable for whatever reason then perhaps think twice about making disparaging comments that might dissuade employers from posting positions.

Happy slapping (and job hunting) 8)
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Fri Sep 29 2017, 09:44

FerrariFlyer wrote:I don’t see a problem with this job advertisement.

The company are posting what appears to be honest details regarding the job. If people don’t feel the position is suitable for them personally then they shouldn’t apply. The insinuation of cheap labour is just that. Also note that pilot qualifications are not necessary...however...

The part about committing for a while and progressing to a flying position is what ‘most of us have to do’ and it’s on offer with this company.

A colleague who is here with me overseas started in a similar fashion working in a non-piloting position. Move forward circa 6-8 years later he’s on his second twin endorsement flying offshore. That commitment paid off...in spades and some!

We need and want jobs like this advertised for all levels of the industry, from the ground loader to the ME IFR EMS gigs etc. If people don’t feel positions are suitable then perhaps think twice about making disparaging comments that might disuade employers from posting positions.

Happy slapping (and job hunting) 8)

I second FF.

As a young guy looking for work, I check this forum regularly. I would hate to see job postings stop.

I would happily consider going over and taking this role. I would speak to the employer (If I got that far) and ask what the process would be and what help (if any) would be provided for someone who holds an Aussie CPL(H) to convert over to NZ in the future to take up a flying position.
Even if there wasn't, a summer ground crew role would still be a sweet first step in the right direction. Working in NZ, for this company and at that location, even as ground crew looks amazing and you never know your luck in the big smoke. Little things grow to big things.

I think that he or she are making sure that people that do throw a hat in the ring, understand that this is not a 6 month ground crew to pilot gig. I think that is fine and very honest. A couple of years as ground crew is only going to make you a better all round guy in the long run.

Just a young kids two cents worth :wink: pop;
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Fri Sep 29 2017, 19:29

Working for these tourism company’s on the West Coast is a well trodden proven route to a pilots first flying job.
I would suggest that 2 to 3 Years is very conservative and could be a lot less for the right person.
Even if it is going to be 2 to 3 years with that company if you are the right person you will get going a lot quicker with one of the other company’s as everyone knows everyone down there.
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Sat Sep 30 2017, 02:20

You will be living the dream in a 500C on short pegs in no time. Good first step in the Industry. A lot of high time guys around the place have started on the Coast.
You have to take your hat of to James for giving new pilots a start, not many around do.
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby robaussie99 » Sat Sep 30 2017, 03:29

rex bivouac wrote:You will be living the dream in a 500C on short pegs in no time. Good first step in the Industry. A lot of high time guys around the place have started on the Coast.
You have to take your hat of to James for giving new pilots a start, not many around do.

Agreed, People will complain no matter what. Be thankful that a job ad is posted that a newbie even meets the requirements for. With the abundance of low time guys out there they could easily make having a CPL and 500hrs the minimum. With the same conditions applied. At least they’re considering guys with no experience.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sat Sep 30 2017, 06:11

Actually, being in NZ, there is no such thing as an award for individual professions, or anything else, just a minimum wage that applies to everyone from the pilots, to the office girl, bus driver to the floor sweeper and toilet cleaner. They could have all sorts of requirements, but don't, just an honest job description.

The whole industry is a very small group around the whole world, so you start as a ground crew, and if you are applying for a flying job with me, the first thing I want to know is who have you worked for, and I will ring them. If i don't know your old boss i will know someone that does, we will have a yarn and chat about an old mate then they will tell me if you actually want to work or are a lazy s.o.b.

Best thing that you can do to get a flying job is have a job in the industry, doing something. Its a start and you can always move up.

500c living the dream... :lol: :lol:
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Tue Oct 3 2017, 05:55

2 or 3 years before MAYBE even being considered for a flying position? :roll: makes me glad I went O/S to start my flying career where I was hired the same day I passed my CFI checkride!
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Wed Oct 4 2017, 00:45

Lowlevelhell how many years was it before you started flying Turbine machine's in the Mountains? Don't knock this entry level job. Do the mahi you will get the treats.
Waka topatopa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Waka topatopa » Wed Oct 4 2017, 09:18

rex bivouac wrote:Lowlevelhell how many years was it before you started flying Turbine machine's in the Mountains? Don't knock this entry level job. Do the mahi you will get the treats.

I thought you said you did it the other way around....gave some 'treats' and then got the mahi?? :lol:

Return to “Pilots Required”