Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Aussie pilots can fly Regional Jets in USA on E3 visa

Postby havick » Sat Jul 22 2017, 11:35

Little Bird wrote:
unusual_attitude wrote:
Slight side note and perhaps too off-topic, but what is the typical or recommended progression from low-hour pilot into firefighting roles, even support roles?

Once you've got your 1000hrs getting on with a tour/utility company and internal progress after 1-2 years was my way. Look at companies in Alaska, also Pap in the GC. Otherwise going the co-jo way on a heavy (Billings, Columbia) and hoping you have a decent Captain who'll teach you and let you fly a lot.

Yankee wrote:Rotary wing exodus to the regional airlines continues.

I saw that Envoy is starting the RTP for civilians now. Looks tempting... This could well be one of those industry defining moment.

Yah I planted the seed with recruiters when I first joined the company. They have approval for 5-6 slots for civilian pilots as a trial to see how it goes before opening the flood gates. Unfortunately only for US citizens or green card holders.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Iknowboats
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Iknowboats » Sun Jul 30 2017, 03:59

Is it only Piedmont that can hire On E3 visas or are all the regionals doing it? Any idea what a captain gets paid?

Cheers
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Jul 30 2017, 04:28

Most regionals are doing the E3. Piedmont is the best option of the lot. Envoy is the only regional I know not doing the E3 (who I work for). I've heard Aussies on the radio flying for Skywest but they're a contract airline, not wholly owned by American Airlines like Piedmont.

As for captain pay, at least at Envoy, if you're a guru at manipulating the roster and playing the game well it's not unusual to make anywhere between 100-150k usd with 12-15 days off a month. Really depends on which base you're at, and if you live close enough to drive to work and don't lose days commuting by air from somewhere else for your shifts.
Anotherlogin

Postby Anotherlogin » Tue Oct 17 2017, 23:36

Hey all, Same question posed on another aviation forum, however I stumbled upon this thread..... was hoping someone could answer the question I have below.....

I hope this isn't too much of a thread drift.

I have called several FAA field offices and spoken to various operations inspectors however the topic of using helo hours for ATP FW is just too much for them to comprehend as it is not normal.

I am confident that up to 1250h RW can be used towards a FAA ATP(A) however there is a question I have regarding counting Helo CP/Other/Dual towards the TT.

My issue is this paragraph: in FAR 61.159

"(c) A commercial pilot may credit the following second-in-command flight time or flight-engineer flight time toward the 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot required by paragraph (a) of this section:
(1) Second-in-command time, provided the time is acquired in an airplane -
(i) Required to have more than one pilot flight crewmember by the airplane's flight manual, type certificate, or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted;
(ii) Engaged in operations under subpart K of part 91, part 121, or part 135 of this chapter for which a second in command is required; or
(iii) That is required by the operating rules of this chapter to have more than one pilot flight crewmember."

Does this mean that all of my helicopter Co-Pilot, Dual and Other time does not count towards the 1500h total?

I have about 500 FW and 1000RW, further I meet all of the other requirements being FW PIC, night PIC, instrument and ME time.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Failing this does anyone know who I can write to in the FAA to get a ruling/decision? I have written to them and was pointed to the field offices......

Thanks to all!
oldrotorhead
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby oldrotorhead » Wed Oct 18 2017, 07:19

I doubt you can count any of your RW CP (second in command) time as the FAR seems pretty clear that such time has to be in an airplane which is clearly not a helicopter (or rotorcraft if you want to be politically correct). Was that the gist of your question mate?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Oct 18 2017, 11:24

oldrotorhead wrote:I doubt you can count any of your RW CP (second in command) time as the FAR seems pretty clear that such time has to be in an airplane which is clearly not a helicopter (or rotorcraft if you want to be politically correct). Was that the gist of your question mate?

Oldrotorhead is on the money. The FAR’s are pretty clear, it states airplane co-pilot time not rotorcraft.

Only your co-pilot helicopter time doesn’t count, The rest does count towards the total time required except for you also need the 250 fixed wing pic requirements and fixed wing multi engine hours if you’re planning on getting an ATP-MEL.

A POI at any FSDO will just refer you to the reg as no ruling is required.

If you have any specific questions about the pros and cons of each airline give me a shout and I can give you heads up.
Anotherlogin

Postby Anotherlogin » Wed Oct 18 2017, 21:35

Thanks for the reply Havick.

Last one, what about a restricted ATP (rAPT), assuming I hit the 1500h TT and 250FW PIC. Again the FAR confuses my small mind...... sect 61.160(f) 're rATP

"(f) A person who has 1,500 hours total time as a pilot, 200 hours of cross-country flight time, and otherwise meets the aeronautical experience requirements of § 61.159 may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate under this section."

It is the 'aeronautical experience' bit that confuses me...... is that another word for TT?..... and therefore rw cp and dual DOES count for a rAPT?

Surely that is an option, if it's not then it makes me wonder how the airlines are conducting the RTP.... unless guys/girls are coming across with only helo PIC hours.

Thankyou again for the response...... I hope others get something out of this line of questioning!
Last edited by Anotherlogin on Thu Oct 19 2017, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Oct 19 2017, 06:52

Anotherlogin wrote:Thanks for the reply Havick.

Last one, what about a restricted ATP (rAPT), assuming I hit the 1500h TT and 250FW PIC. Again the FAR confuses my small mind...... sect 61.160(f) 're rATP

"(f) A person who has 1,500 hours total time as a pilot, 200 hours of cross-country flight time, and otherwise meets the aeronautical experience requirements of § 61.159 may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate under this section."

It is the 'aeronautical experience' bit that confuses me...... is that another word for TT?..... and therefore rw cp and dual DOES count for a rAPT?

Surely that is an option, if it's not then it makes me wonder how the airlines are conducting the RTP.... unless guys/girls are coming across with only helo hours.

Thankyou again for the response...... I hope others get something out of this line of questioning!

Restricted aTP are only for someone out of the US military or graduate of only a few colleges in the US. There’s about 10 or so colleges listed in a circular but you have to have completed the whole 4 year degree course from scratch for it to count.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Sun Jul 15 2018, 17:03

Many American pilots are ditching rotary jobs and jumping on the airline transition program.

There are probably more than 300 open positions in EMS and O&G right now.

Figure out your visa and come take a job.
Also many CFI positions are available.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Sun Jul 15 2018, 20:00

Until they open up the visa system for helicopters , the list of ems positions will continue to sky rocket

I don’t think employers of helicopters companies are using the E3 yet ?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Jul 15 2018, 22:50

Fill-level wrote:Until they open up the visa system for helicopters , the list of ems positions will continue to sky rocket

I don’t think employers of helicopters companies are using the E3 yet ?

Some firefighting companies have been known to sort out E3 visas for Bell medium pilots.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Jul 16 2018, 00:04

Yankee wrote:Many American pilots are ditching rotary jobs and jumping on the airline transition program.

There are probably more than 300 open positions in EMS and O&G right now.

Figure out your visa and come take a job.
Also many CFI positions are available.

Very likely only the start of what will be a significant and prolonged pilot shortage across the industry.
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Mon Jul 16 2018, 01:03

You’ll be extremely lucky to get an E3 visa for a heli company. I’ve spoken to the EMS outfits and none will sponsor. Wouldn’t think the GOM would either.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Jul 16 2018, 01:46

Little Bird wrote:You’ll be extremely lucky to get an E3 visa for a heli company. I’ve spoken to the EMS outfits and none will sponsor. Wouldn’t think the GOM would either.

Yeah the EMS companies have no interest in E3’s. But if you have 212/412 time and a few fire seasons under your belt there’s quite a few companies bringing Aussies over on E3’s. I ran into about 10-12 Aussies on the line when I did a season flying a 212 up and down the west coast on a USFS contract about 2 years ago.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Mon Jul 16 2018, 04:28

What they do NOT understand, is how easy the process is on the employer's side.
Funny how HEMS companies don't bother/know, yet there are heaps of vacancies for 2000-2500hr guys to fly turbine singles single pilot.

Their lawyer's probably THINK it's like H1 but for Aussie citizens (and their dependant spouse of any nationality).
There is NO onerous LMT, no onerous certification/petition. NO actual (the 10k is total INITIAL spots, not even used up) annual quota ot deadline. No expensive fees. No lengthy processing times. Only initial application needs done in Oz.

E3 has been around longer than the regionals actually taking advantage of it due ATP/E-ATP and market. Even then, it needed someone up there in HR/management to say YES we can do it after someone selling it, likely vested interest and more followed suit.

Then you have those 'recruiters' shuffling bit of paper (electronic) and pocketing thousands for the 'inconvenience'.

I am all for people qualifying, going stateside and giving finger to the Oz airlines and their hiring minima, until it changes. Less lower end of market competition, too, those high time twin GA pilots etc.
Iknowboats
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Iknowboats » Mon Jul 16 2018, 06:12

Anotherlogin wrote:
Does this mean that all of my helicopter Co-Pilot, Dual and Other time does not count towards the 1500h total?

Did you ever find out more about this? I'm wondering if RW PICUS can be counted towards total time?

Also does anyone know if FW dual hours count or are they considered SIC also?
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Mon Jul 16 2018, 08:43

E3's have been around for years in many fields and they are by no means easy to get. There are companies that promise the world and deliver nothing and charge like a wondered rhino.

Add to that the current administration and be careful what you wish for.

Regards,
Last edited by Gonsky on Mon Jul 16 2018, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Jul 16 2018, 08:44

[/quote]

Did you ever find out more about this? I'm wondering if RW PICUS can be counted towards total time?

Also does anyone know if FW dual hours count or are they considered SIC also?[/quote]

Are you kidding? :o
You think maybe you are PIC on say a Trial Introductory Flight? Training for a licence? Or while being endorsed on a new type/rating? Common examples of dual.

As far as PICUS goes, I’m not sure how the FAA see that, but I’d claim it as P1/PIC if required. Pilot In Command Under Supervision. Fully endorsed and qualified, and flying in Command.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon Jul 16 2018, 09:37

Total time: sitting in operating aircraft with access to controls. So yes RW time counts as total time.
Companies are offering 20k and training facilities to gain requisite FW time.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Iknowboats
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Iknowboats » Tue Jul 17 2018, 00:55

skypig wrote:

Are you kidding? :o
You think maybe you are PIC on say a Trial Introductory Flight? Training for a licence? Or while being endorsed on a new type/rating? Common examples of dual.

[/quote]

I'm aware that dual is not PIC, thanks. My question is whether it counts towards the 1500 total time required for the ATP. The paragraph in the regs (as quoted by Anotherlogin above) relating to SIC time is not really clear whether they're talking about any hours that are not PIC, or just the CP/SIC column of the logbook. It would seem unlikely that they would discount all flying done under training when considering a pilot's total time?

Has anyone been through the E3 process or know of someone who has?

Cheers

Return to “Pilots Required”