Good Movement

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
phugoyd

Good Movement

Postby phugoyd » Sun Apr 16 2006, 11:59

In the last 6 Months i have heard of lots of movement in the industry. Myself, friends and others have all moved on into different areas vacating entry and mid level positions. People have moved to Offshore roles, Pilot transfer, Base manager for tourist operators and Onshore EMS positions. This is a good time to be in the industry if you are training at the moment, feel good but dont be complacent you still have to impress and perform. Lots of people ready to retire soon as well, i have met quite a few of them recently. Lots of Kiwis coming over to fill Instructor positions in Melbourne so there is an area in demand at the moment.

Be nice, fly safe.

Happy easter.

Phuges

:)
Low Time
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Low Time » Sun Apr 16 2006, 15:14

I hope so. Have been sending out heaps of resumes and had a few replies but no job offers yet. Oh Well patience and persistance I suppose. Squeeky wheeel gets the oil.
:D
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sun Apr 16 2006, 21:44

Get on the phone. Get in your car and GO VISIT. Research the companies you are interested in. How many aircraft, what type of flying, do they accept low timers, what do the pilots wear to work, jeans and boots or shorts and boat shoes? Give them a ring and GO VISIT. What else can you offer them? Paint the office, re-roof the hangar, mow the lawn. Get on the phone and GO VISIT. If there is a sparkle of interest would you be welcome for a weeks trial? And last but not least, get on the phone and GO VISIT!

:wink:
phugoyd

More advice

Postby phugoyd » Mon Apr 17 2006, 04:18

Resumes work for the larger companies but for most other companies you have to have a better tactic. Call them and talk to the chief pilot but make sure you have rehersed what you are to say and ask.

Imagine you are the chief pilot running around busy (well sometimes) usually when there are flights to be done. Study the company and find out when there flight schedules are, do they all depart at 10 am and come back at 2 pm? This would be a good indication not to bother them during this time. First thing in the morning before the coffee has been made and the orders issued, probably not either. Maybe just after morning tea or mid afternoon after lunch but as i said study the company. If you know somebody in the company talk to them about a time when they know the Chief Pilot is not busy.

Ok, now you have to plan what you are going to say. Is this going to be your big moment or are you laying down the groundwork? I for instance knew i didnt have the requirements but called when i had a few hundred hours and started the conversation with. "Hi, i know i dont have what you require yet and wont take up much of your time but could you let me know what i need before you hear from me again?" That way they wont try and blow you off because they are too busy and its the first chance to get a name floating around in their heads. Dont quote me word for word as it may not work for you but you get the idea.

As i said reherse your lines, write down your questions, keep a pen and paper handy, write down names and sound happy. Watch a funny video before hand so your mind is on a high. Dont call your prospective employer just after having a blue with your current boss, it will show in your voice.

If its your big moment then spend days rehersing all those questions you may get asked. Get an interview practice cd and go through the motions. Look at yourself in the morror while asking questions and see if you have any strange faces you pull while you are thinking. Its quite funny to record yourself doing an interview, you will be amazed at the faces you pull and the length of the pauses while you dig around for an answer. Prepare.

Good luck
Low Time
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Low Time » Tue Apr 18 2006, 22:27

Thanks for the good tips guys. I went up North last year for 3 months travelling around on my Long Service leave. Had an great time too. Visted places like VRD, Mt ISA, Darwn and Kunnanurra. I still ring these places every few weeks just to keep in touch. Have also been down to 12 Apostles and Great Ocean Road Helicopters too. Will just have to keep trying, sooner or later someone will hopefully give me a start. Keep up the good work with the site.
Cheers and Beers!!
:D

Return to “Pilots Required”