CHC & Bristow

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
GOAIR
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

CHC & Bristow

Postby GOAIR » Thu Apr 6 2006, 11:05

Anyone out there know what CHC & Bristow have for their interview & testing criteria ???
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Thu Apr 6 2006, 13:25

Bristow.

Day One

Assessment is an English comprehension test, Maths quiz with no calculator and a personality test consisting of about 100 true/false questions about you and your attitudes. It all takes a couple of hours, with all candidates in together.

Day Two

Interview by a panel of up to five of the Bristow staff, consisting of Managing Pilot, Chief Pilot, a PIC (Base Manager), Pilot Committee Rep and Marie Robertson the Ops Admin Officer. Ususally between 40 mins to an hour. Questions on all the ususal motivation, expectation, experience etc. Quite daunting at first, but nothing impossible.

Prepare a bit of background knowledge about the company, its bases in Australia and worldwide, aircraft etc and dont fidget, you should be OK! Have IREX and ATPL's done as it looks good on the application form that you are already preparing for Multi engine IFR machines.
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Thu Apr 6 2006, 13:37

G'Day GOAIR,
Concur with all p1 says, and if you do get an interview, wear a suit.
Good Luck
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Apr 6 2006, 14:53

The aforementioned “personality test consisting of about 100 true/false questions about you and your attitudes” can fail you completely! At CHC, anyway.

My advice; read one of the books about “passing” these “tests” and get in touch with your inner Sensitive New Age Guy/Guylet. They tell you there are no right and wrong answers. This is a lie. :x I am apparently too much of a Caring Understanding Nineties Type. 8)

skyPIG :twisted: :twisted:
GOAIR
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby GOAIR » Thu Apr 6 2006, 21:19

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated.
gadget
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby gadget » Thu Apr 6 2006, 22:23

I had 3 seperate psyche evaluations on my return from Ops

each one telling me i had a problem - which I thought was; everyone telling me I had a problem (which got my back up moreso than anything else) :x

I returned to my unit, got married, changed into a tech trade, got promoted, left & secured a civi job where i doubled my wage in 4 years. :?:

I have 2 children am still happily married after 14 years, whilst many of our friends whom were dubious about the longevity of my relationship, have seperated (badly) with multiple kids etc. :!:

I don't put too much faith in psyches, they really are a bunch of oxygen thieving bastards. :?

I have a mate who is pretty clever with these sorts of tests, he can ask you what traits you are looking for specifically & undertake the tests several times to reflect any of the specific values you want or even a mix of a few. (I hate him) :wink:

moreso than anything I think my issues were being micromanaged by half-wit napoleons, it was a relief to depart from the green machine & no longer be restricted to think someone was a f-wit, I could now tell them they were without fear of being locked up for it. (excellent stress management that one) :roll:
gadget
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

some extracts post pysche test

Postby gadget » Thu Apr 6 2006, 22:53

i concur with the pigster - get a book & study up on how to answer the questions, you'll find that usually most questions are asked in a subtly different manner.

psyche - you answered would you eat off a plate that wasn't clean
me - correct
psyche - why?
me - if I'm in a survival situation, hungry then I'd eat of the bloody ground if a had too.
psyche - that's not what the question meant, it means a normal situation

me - can you tell me what a normal situation is? being that this is a military psyche evaluation , I'd have to assume that any question is specifically related to operational requirements within the military & being that I'm an infantryman, & the situation often dictates that I eat whatever I can when I can, often whilst on the move, in whatever container is presented to me, without being able to heat anything, or wash my fingys, or face lest I smudge my beauty makeup (cam paint) & then have to reapply, how the F am i supposed to know what normal is?, can you tell me what normal is definitively? without given me specific borders & variable constraints on the scenario?

psyche - Well..

Me - No you can't, so how can you tell me I'm wrong when you have no idea what i do or how I have to think in order to do my job when the priorities of survival supersede those of cosmetic hygene?

(lets just say I got a tick for that one)

psyche - in the next question it says when your standing on the edge of a cliff, do you ever feel like jumping off - you ticked yes

Me - Bloody oath

psyche - Why...?

Me - I'm a reconnaisance patrolman we insert into our AO's by aerial rappelling, we are also trained in rock-climbing & rappelling, I am also a parachute volunteer, if I'm suitably equiped/attached I'll jump off anything. If I answer no, I face the potential of being pulled from such activities.

psyche - that's not what the question meant, it means a normal situation

me - again with the normal, given what I just said, can you tell me what a normal situation is in this regard? ......why would you normally find yourself on the edge of a cliff? wouldn't you have gone there with a specific purpose which whilst not in your normal routine, might be considered abnormal unless you were part of a specific activity. Is it normal for Elmo the blanket counter who never leaves the quartermasters store or me the silly bugger who has to fall out of a hovering helicopter with 60 odd KG's on his back? you apply normal to sitting in an airconditioned office - I apply normal to the being up to my ears in leeches, wait-a-while vines & noggies throwing bullets at me. You do realise this is the Army don't you?

(another tick)

all answers were given in a calm & relaxed tone, & not in any sort of indignant manner
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Apr 7 2006, 01:28

Ironically I passed the Green Machines Psych, but failed the Hummingbirds version. One difference was, as gadget said the Green Machine asked you about your answers, where the Hummingbirds just assume you eat off dirty plates out of preference and would jump of a cliff (without your hang-glider)! :x
Rumour has it that “The big Canadian” might not be very impressed with some of the pilots this vomit of a psych test is picking! :?: :idea:

skypig 8) 8)
chopperman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chopperman » Fri Apr 7 2006, 02:02

I Used To Be Indecisive!..Now I Am Not So Sure. :o
gadget
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

what do they want

Postby gadget » Fri Apr 7 2006, 06:37

so does anyone have any idea what traits specifically they are trying to identify?
studying the book might be more worthwhile if you also learn to craft your answers accordingly
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Fri Apr 7 2006, 07:04

They are after pilots who can work and live as a team.

Can you as a new guy share an apartment in Karratha with a 60 year old 30 year Bristow veteran without giving him the s#!t?

Are you prepared to say to a captain that you're not happy with them taking a shortcut from procedure? And equally, are you prepared to accept a captains critique of your take off/approach/general flying?

Are you happy to do the minimum required or do you seek extra responsibility?

Multi crew touring positions aren't for everyone, and while the personality quiz results are looked at, its not everything. The interview goes a long way to assess what they want. They don't just look at you as a co-pilot, but as a potential captain, PIC/Base Manager, Training Captain etc.

In my opinion, don't go overboard studying personality test books etc, give honest answers, if you lie on the test its very easy to spot in the interview. The test questions aren't ones which you can revise anyway, they take the form of

You would prefer to stay in and read a book rather than go out for a drink with colleagues? true/false
you would prefer to go to the theatre than a soccer match? true/false

There's no right or wrong answer, its just to find out about you.

And as the Mongrel Dog said, wear a suit, if you don't you'll be doing the other candidates a massive favour! :lol:
TomOz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TomOz » Fri Apr 7 2006, 07:21

In my opinion, don't go overboard studying personality test books etc, give honest answers

Absolutely agree. I'd spend the extra study time reading AIPs, CAOs etc and find out as much as you can about the company you're applying to (how many aircraft, types, bases etc). I think that the personality tests are actually quite effective, although I don't believe that the companies rely too much on the results... I think that the face to face is still the prefered method for weeding out the mouth-breathers, the paper test just trims off the 99th percentile personality disorders... axe murderers etc. I think the IQ component is more important than the personality tests.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Apr 7 2006, 09:15

I know it can be seen as sour grapes. But my information suggests CHC spear some applicants almost totally on the “personality” part of the psych test. I believe a casual crew person, who had performed well, got on with everybody etc was vanquished after the test when trying to go full time. :shock:
A debrief immediately after my interview with an ultimately successful candidate suggested that our interviews had been largely similar. The personality test answers (re Poetry, Social security etc) we gave however were diametrically opposed.
So instead of flying as part of a Multi Crew operation and running the risk of killing the other pilot with an axe should they start to recite poetry or tell me that tax and dole payments should rise, I can sing to myself while I fly SPIFR. :roll:

skypig :D :D :D
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Fri Apr 7 2006, 09:53

Just remember the voices in your head are not real, unless you have your headset on...
:wink:
LOFLYA

Postby LOFLYA » Thu Apr 20 2006, 13:04

Goair, mate JUST BE YOUR SELF,
some facts about my experience 1.Didn't study anything.
2. Didn't wear a suit (but very neatly dressed).
3. Went to the interview with what you see is what you get attitude.(very honest)

The interview was brutal for myself :shock:

:!: These where only my experiences, wear a suit,study by all means if this is you, but be yourself!!
Your perfect job is out there good luck mate!

P.S. Oh, nearly forgot, i got the job, off to ground school next week.

cheers 8)
TomOz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TomOz » Fri Apr 21 2006, 05:40

Lowflya,

Congratulations. CHC or Bristow? What sort of questions were you asked in the interview?

Tomoz.

Return to “Pilots Required”