Newcastle to Sunshine Coast Trip

Upload or Download weight & balance sheets
Big Unit
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Newcastle to Sunshine Coast Trip

Postby Big Unit » Tue Mar 26 2013, 22:49

Hi All, next week my Brother in Law and myself are taking a 44 on a flight from Newcastle up the coast to the Sunshine Coast. Besides all the great scenery we'll fly over can anyone suggest things we should take the time to see on the way up.
Also if anyone has any places they suggest we can set down to get a coffee and/or sandwich other than the regular airports along the route that would be great.

Its just a social fly over 2 days so we can take our time and see the sites..

Thanks in advance
John
xanato5

Re: Newcastle to Sunshine Coast Trip

Postby xanato5 » Tue Mar 26 2013, 23:24

Coastal via Coffs mate! The ranges west of Byron are nice too and Grafton damage is a sight to behold. Take a couple jackets and do the VFR lane east of bris
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Mar 27 2013, 01:01

See if you can spot the land that has been cleared in the shape of a shark. It's near Old Bar which is on the coast east of Taree. Getting harder to spot these days as it isn't being maintained.
the run north from Gold Coast along the beach at 500 is good as well, a lot of buildings higher than you on that section.
The whole run north of Willie coastal is great, I've been doing it on a very regular basis since 2009 and haven't gotten sick of it yet..................
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Wed Mar 27 2013, 01:03

G'day John,

It's a really nice flight, I do it a fair bit.

http://www.harrigansharrington.com.au/

Is a nice spot for lunch, you land to the west of the hotel on the banks of the river (just to the left of the pedestrian bridge). Google Map the pub and you will see what I mean. Take off and land over the river and everyone is happy.

Enjoy.

Arrrj
Big Unit
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Big Unit » Wed Mar 27 2013, 19:38

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll add them to my short list.

John
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sun Jun 26 2016, 05:24

Ummm... you might need a compass swing, Gippsland is a little south of Newcastle, and going the wrong direction.

All the Gippsland area is subject to the southerlies and it gets pretty turbulent, and landing on beaches is subject to approval from all sorts of people who want to say that they are in control of such things.
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heliflyer » Sun Jun 26 2016, 09:47

'bout time we did it again BU? (c:_ol

Return to “Flight Planning”