East to West - Who's done it before? Advice needed

Upload or Download weight & balance sheets
helibelly

East to West - Who's done it before? Advice needed

Postby helibelly » Thu Mar 24 2011, 05:14

Hi all
I am planning a ferry for the upcoming weeks, Brisbane to Kununarra. Im slowly working through a flight plan, but would like to hear from others, who may have done the trip before.
This east west trip is a first for me, and any info on airstrips, fuel available, radio freqs etc will be greatly appreciated.
Any info, from any one who can help, is very much appreciated

PM me if your able to give any advice

Thanks in advance

Helibelly
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: East to West - Who's done it before? Advice needed

Postby havick » Thu Mar 24 2011, 05:22

Turbine/Piston? What kind of aircraft? Range extender or not? Your quals eg NVFR? IFR?
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 24 2011, 13:21

I did that exact flight many years ago myself.

Cannot believe now when reading you are looking for full planning details....that i pretty much just drew a line on a map and set off.

Think from memory I refuelled at Vic River Downs but over in that direction......anyway was a great flight and some nice country you cross....some very boring also...this was before gps also and i got lost coming back on the barkly tablelands.......like a bloody desert out there
kindhearted

Postby kindhearted » Thu Mar 24 2011, 21:47

Hi all this is my first post on here as I am always reluctant to say much because there seem to be far to many people who shoot down most of what advice is posted!!!!! , But this time I'll make an exception because I have done this trip 3 times and further in different directions in the not so distant past.
My main advice is grab a road map of oz and measure the scale and convert to nautical miles the legs you will do !! , you have to have all the area maps with you by law so the ones you cant get easily (because of where you are they probably dont carry them ) means you may have to pick some up on the way . eg mount isa and the likes. It would help if you say the type of air craft you will be in as I have done it in diferent types , and that does have somewhat of an impact on your speed and endurance . the main point I will make is your safety... cell phones work most of the way when you are airbourne but if you can carry a sat ph all the better , take a hand held gps as well if you can cause you never know ( I got from melbourne to Broome with a hand held only) ... there are roads most of the way you will be going but remember others follow these to so keep your eyes open between 700 and 3000 feet ( planes and choppers) trust me you will come head to head with the odd one in the top end .
carry plenty of water and tucker!! and use flight watch and a flight follower from each end ( half the trip each that way you have better odds of pick up should you have to put down) allow plenty of time each day , if the last leg is to long leave it till the next day at sunrise cause when you get to the 9 hr mark at the end of the day you WILL know what I mean ( I know of a pilot who kept going after this long and ended up in the dark and sadly never made it dew to crashing.. its hard to make good judgement after that length of time !!! with out knowing your aircrat type it is hard to help with your flight plan but if you post it I'm sure there are a few of us that can help you out .

Return to “Flight Planning”