Compliance with the new fuel requirements??

Upload or Download weight & balance sheets
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Compliance with the new fuel requirements??

Postby Ops normal » Wed Dec 5 2018, 11:39

:roll: Is CASA actually consulting with industry about these changes? If they are actually consulting industry, whom are they talking too? I would love to know who these window lickers are.

With respect to the guys here trying to comprehend how to comply on paper with the changes I think you should be demanding CASA explain how the changes will improve safety and how they implement them at a practical level, before you have to comply with them.

If I am asked by a deligate of CASA to comply I will happily conform if they can demonstrate the calculations whilst spraying one of my jobs under wires and around trees.

The funny thing about cross checking fuel when you think things may not look right is that engineers are required to do fuel calibrations in litres (CASA rule) last time I asked. I don’t know about you guys but when you are questioning fuel amounts or burn, things would be a lot easier if the calibration was in the same unit as the aircraft fuel gauge. Pounds too pounds, Gals too Gals etc.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Wed Dec 5 2018, 12:34

If I am asked by a deligate of CASA to comply I will happily conform if they can demonstrate the calculations whilst spraying one of my jobs under wires and around trees.

I put a similar question to CASA today. I did 6.5hrs in a Squirrel on Saturday, I did three fuel cycles, 221 landings with a maximum of 1.9nm between landings, didn’t get above 300’agl, covered 145 track miles, but was only ever 14nm from my fuel source. Am I required to conduct enroute calculations?
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Wed Dec 5 2018, 21:42

Capt Hollywood wrote:One slightly promising comment was that you may be able to just have a procedure for inflight 'mental' calculations without the need to physically record the calculations.

Isn’t that what we do now? I’m flabbergasted with CASA, they introduce a rule that’s impossible to comply with & if past behaviour is any indication then we’ll end up with an exemption to say that we don’t have to comply with the rule & we can keep doing what we’ve always done.
Unfortunately mental calculations are not auditable, so if we don’t get an exemption from compliance then how do we demonstrate to an auditor that we are doing it? Maybe we could have a piece of paper which has a box on it that we can tick to say that we did our mental calculations at regular intervals enroute. We could mentally tick the box, & just tell them we did it? Simple!!
The more I contemplate this the more sarcastic I become. I hope the more patient amongst us can actually find a resolution, I appreciate your efforts.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Dec 6 2018, 06:12

Hey Duck, as far as I’m concerned I have demonstrated my fuel calculations are good by not running out.
Same as my sms, I’ve go a perfect safety record. Do I use an sms, no, I’m not an idiot, what proof do I have that my type of safety works, easy, a perfect safety record. Same again with my fuel management, never run out of fuel. Main reason why my system works, I’m not an idiot.
And I find it massively insulting that some dick in Canberra who has never sat in the command seat of anything thinks I’m stupid and need to have this written proof. I’ll call bullshot on it every time.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Fri Dec 7 2018, 22:33

Can someone please cut and paste the details from this article in the Australian.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... ef87cb9fe8
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Tue Dec 11 2018, 04:40

Spoke to CASA again this morning. Our FOI agrees that, with regard to GA helicopters, particularly those engaged in low level operations, the Instrument is unworkable as it is written. He is going to discuss the issue with his people and try and come up with a workable solution and is hoping to get back to me before Christmas.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Tue Dec 11 2018, 05:14

So another exemption then capt :D
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Tue Dec 11 2018, 05:22

I'm hoping for a rewrite or amendment to reflect a workable solution rather than the need to apply for exemptions, that would make more sense to me. As I said to the FOI, there's no point in having a rule that people can't and simply won't comply with when you can come up with a workable alternative!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Dec 11 2018, 06:00

Hasn't stopped CA$A in the past - that was supposedly why the rewrite started all those years ago - the rules were so unworkable that everybody was working from exemptions. Maybe it was Dick Smith who said it was stupid not to write rules which can be followed without needing exemptions.

See where that got them, the rules are multiple times more complex and already needing exemptions.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Tue Dec 11 2018, 09:15

And just think... they could have simply copied the FAA rules... why re-create a wheel?

While definitely not perfect they are workable.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Dec 12 2018, 20:17

Yankee, Typically aussie government will take a working model of something, change it to suit academics and in our case non-pilots and we end up with un-workable rubbish like part 61 and 48 and now the fuel requirements.
Soon as we say it has faults, they will tell you they consulted us and this is the result. Now live with it while we spend the next 4 or 5 years changing it constantly so we can't keep up.

We have idiots at the top and their garbage rolls down hill.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Wed Feb 20 2019, 10:20

Righto, so the deadline is fast approaching. From what I'm hearing it sounds like a some companies are simply going to change there daily flight sheet/plan sheet to include a column for enroute calculations, insert a procedure in their Ops Manual that describes how to use it and then never use it, or at least just fill it in when they get back so they have a record of doing it 'enroute'!

I'm still waiting to hear back from CASA but has anyone else raised the issue with their FOI of how physically the pilot is expected to conduct and RECORD these calculations whilst also flying the aircraft? I'm particularly interested to hear how low level airwork operators are going with the process.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Mar 5 2019, 19:37

Just simply not going to do it.
The system we have in place now works PERFECTLY. Have never run out of fuel.
Can't get better than that.

Return to “Flight Planning”