Canadian Visa - Drink Driving

Got a good idea for Bladeslapper? Suggest it here.
Heli-box
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Canadian Visa - Drink Driving

Postby Heli-box » Wed Dec 17 2014, 22:38

Although it's a position no pilot wants to be in, sometimes our youth can haunt us. I know there's a lot of pilots in Canada and many successful Visa applicants with previous DUI charges. Does anyone know if Canada is still very strict on this and is there a way to go about applying for a Visa even though you have a past conviction. Stories and past experiences would be appreciated. Cheers all
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Canadian Visa - Drink Driving

Postby NZHelo » Thu Dec 18 2014, 00:44

From what I understand it still is deemed very serious. Having said that i was stupid enough to get a DUI over ten years ago in NZ but thanks to the clean slate policy after seven years any priors get wiped from your record.
I got a visa after that.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Dec 18 2014, 01:03

Second what NZHelo said regarding the DUI being deemed as being quite serious in Canada.

Another option to see where you stand is to simply call the Canadian Consulate and ask them directly. I wouldn't take the risk of not disclosing past problems on your record.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Dec 19 2014, 06:27

Zog would probably still take you on....... :D
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Sat Dec 20 2014, 02:49

If you have a DUI, your a convicted criminal in Canada. Even if it from another country.
bubble bugs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bubble bugs » Sat Dec 20 2014, 04:39

Yet they don't send you home if you get convicted of DUI in Canada! Go figure :wink:
NZHELiMADNZ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby NZHELiMADNZ » Wed Dec 24 2014, 18:00

Hey Heli-box,

Its possible to still get a Visa, My girlfriend had a DUI from 5 years ago. the link below will take you to the CIC page where you will have to fill in the forms and pay yet another Fee $$$. They will give you an answer "approved or denied" once you get that email you can OR won't continue with your Canadian visa process. When you do the CIC visa process online you will attach that approval email to the online visa application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... ehabil.asp

Good Luck!!!
mike12345

Postby mike12345 » Thu Dec 1 2016, 07:20

Heli-box wrote:Although it's a position no pilot wants to be in, sometimes our youth can haunt us. I know there's a lot of pilots in Canada and many successful Visa applicants with previous online dui classes in tennessee. Does anyone know if Canada is still very strict on this and is there a way to go about applying for a Visa even though you have a past conviction. Stories and past experiences would be appreciated. Cheers all

Hello Heli,
Yes the law of Canada is now become very strict about DUI charges. And you can never get Visa
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Fri Dec 2 2016, 15:31

Canada's market is overly saturated with pilots at the moment. Plenty of Canadians out of work. I wouldn't waste your time or money. But you never know most owners of the scabbier companies always seem to find a way to get visa workers but don't expect to be anything more than an indentured slave.
JoshNZ

Postby JoshNZ » Mon Dec 5 2016, 02:21

Do you remember your breath alcohol level by any chance? If you happened to be under 400ug/L it does not equate to an offence in Canada and you will get through quite seamlessly (speaking from experience). If it was more than 10 years ago in any case, I would say it will prolong the process slightly, but will not make you inadmissable - though am uncertain of this!
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Mon Dec 5 2016, 08:06

Zonk will take you!!!
Redlining in neutral
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Fri Dec 9 2016, 15:49