What should a ground crew / Junior pilot get paid?

Got a good idea for Bladeslapper? Suggest it here.
Always_Upright
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

What should a ground crew / Junior pilot get paid?

Postby Always_Upright » Sat Sep 21 2013, 23:43

Hi Slappers

This has probably been done to death but....... heard a conversation about what new ground crew and new pilots should be paid! Was a bit shocked at the response.
Sure we have to do the hard yards when you first start to try get the advantage over the next junior pilot to get hours, but should it be for free??
Not currently flying ATM what is the current award for loading staff to be paid? is there such a thing?
Or is it expected they work for nothing to try get a few scraps of charter flying?
Surly in this day and age you get paid something for your time on the ground!

The second point is: do line pilots trying to get work at a new company pay for the chopper time to do a flight check with the CP? Again heard it should be paid by the pilot!! Thats tough!

Wow things seam to be hard for the new guys/girls!

Would love to hear opinions or ideas from business owners of what is expected of ground staff (duties, hours and pay) and what is expected of junior pilots (duties, hours and pay) fresh out of training!
I have a son coming of age wanting to train CPL. Just feeling out the industry for todays standards.

Safe Flying

AU
KNOW NUFFEN
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: What should a ground crew / Junior pilot get paid?

Postby KNOW NUFFEN » Sun Sep 22 2013, 02:11

As a casual observer looking to start flying for fun soon ,my observations on the industry are thus - minimum wage in oz is about $18 per hour maybe $22 casual if over 18.
Most Helo pilots would have spent at least $50k to $100 k to get a bit of paper to say they can fly commercially. NZ boys can put it on HECS student debt ? sometimes and are stuck on the never ,never . They then try to get an initial job flying loops at the minimum wage because there is so many junior pilots trying to build up hours to get a "good" job.The employers can offer minimum wages as there are so many applicants. Then there is the cost of endorsements , ie turbine , HUET ( whatever that is ) dangerous goods ? long line short line, middle line , extra big line ?. then there maybe endorsements I think for "I cant see in the dark goggles" , where am I ? just to name a few. Then if you find a good job , you need to know how to drive that particular bus or buses. ie extra endorsements . When you have achieved the number of hours to get a good job ,would it be 300 hours flying loops /I don't know , hopefully you will get a good paying job to cover and repay your debts. Would hopefully be $100k plus and if a remote location hopefully they cover your board and Food??? or marry a rich wife or hope that tattslotto ticket comes in so you can buy your own rig .I have heard flying is like yachting, its cheaper to stand under a shower and tear up $50 notes !!.then again I KNOW NUFFEN .
KN
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Sun Sep 22 2013, 04:55

Should be enough to to buy a couple beers at the end of the week and if any left over maybe food and rent.

Oh and don't work for free , for f#$ks sake.
Redlining in neutral
Tiptop
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Tiptop » Sun Sep 22 2013, 09:38

Check flights should be paid for by the company in my opinion.
don't work for free that's crap no one at the top should allow it either since they were probably at the bottom as a line pilot at some stage.
Select your training school very carefully, do the research on them and find out which one has flying jobs for fresh pilots.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Sun Sep 22 2013, 09:57

never work for free!
I did for a short stint, one day a week while studying in Sydney, did the hard yards while the charter pilot reaped the rewards and kudos, he was reluctant to even give me a bump or two with an instructor for my efforts.......oh wait I got .3hrs over a year long period :roll:

my advice save hard, pay for the endorsements after cpl
Dem winds are gonna blow
KNOW NUFFEN
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby KNOW NUFFEN » Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:13

As a matter of interest, what should/would a turbine pilot first up earn ? i.e. what would be an estimate ???? any takers .
KN
Tiptop
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Tiptop » Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:23

Depends how may hours they have logged.
Say with 1000 maybe 50 grand but with a cpl plus a turbine endorsement probably 25 grand at a guess.
Banjo-Kazooie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Banjo-Kazooie » Sun Sep 22 2013, 14:29

Tiptop wrote:Select your training school very carefully, do the research on them and find out which one has flying jobs for fresh pilots.

Good advice, although there's no guarantee that by the time you are ready to fly for pay, the school won't have been sold to another company... pop;
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Sun Sep 22 2013, 21:28

If you work full time (ie 38 hours a week) cleaning the floor or such like in any business you are legally not allowed to be paid less than the $32,354.40 ish that is minimum wage. Unless they have managed to squeeze you in as a 'trainee' or such like in which case if you are 20 or older you will receive 97.7% of the hourly rate. Remember, if you are employed on a casual basis (without a contract) then you are entitled to 24% more than the basic minimum wage.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Sep 24 2013, 02:23

I disagree with Rotorpilot as far as paying for endorsements are concerned. Once you have your licence and have a job, the company paying you should (in my opinion) cover the cost of any endorsement they require you to have. They should also cover the cost of ANY check ride or pre employment flying they require.
I have not paid for any of the endorsements I have (13), or the NVFR, CIR, Instructor, winch, sling. All were covered by the Companies I have worked for as it should be. I am thankful to each and every one as without them I wouldn't be where I am now. The only thing I did was be there when required and little or no bitching.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!

Return to “Bladeslapper Suggestions (and gripes)”