Tassie

Got a good idea for Bladeslapper? Suggest it here.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Tassie

Postby arrrj » Sat Oct 6 2012, 09:39

Hello BS'ers,

We are off to Tassie with two machines for a bit of flying in early November. Flying from Sydney.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the highlights, contacts, airport and fuel tips etc ?

Any help would be appreciated. We might even post some pics like Matt has !

Arrrj
teebee
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Tassie

Postby teebee » Sat Oct 6 2012, 09:51

Can't tell you much about flying there but if you want a paddock to land in near Huonville send me a pm.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sat Oct 6 2012, 21:10

Smoked salmon at Stanley. Yum and the right price too. Get some photos at Penguin, town along the north coast, can be very funny sights.
The whole of Tassie is magnificent and you will enjoy it. Plenty of fuel around but fog might be a prob in the centre in the mornings.
Enjoy.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Oct 7 2012, 09:32

King Island Is well worth the visit :D Stunning piece of Tassie often over looked :D

Strauhn is lovely, there is a railway and old train that is a pretty good sight, (or just follow the train in the chopper lol).

Really, the whole place is beautiful, Cradle Mountain well worth the visit too.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sun Oct 7 2012, 10:10

To state the obvious, the route across is really clear in the ERSA! I've been as far as Flinders Island by air and it was an easy trip.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
angrywasp
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby angrywasp » Sun Oct 7 2012, 22:02

Depending on what your flying either piston or turbine, fuel options are limited. Available on Flinders Island but very expensive. Nothing on the West Coast unless you arrange it with Dale Trifford. Wynyard and Devonport at the airports only and Launceston there are two options. One the airport and the other at The Glebe ( in the city ) by prior arrangement with Joe Pentridge. Hobart both airports but Cambridge is easier to access. Suggest you adhere to local advice regarding the weather and where you propose going on any given day. Take your time, it offers spectacular varied scenery.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Sun Oct 7 2012, 23:10

Hi Arrrj,

You are going to have one of the best flying experiences Australia has to offer.

As others have stated, pick you days to fly, especially in the South West Wilderness. We had a rule that if it was over 15 knots no flying in that area as it has brought too many people undone. One day the forecast winds were 70 knots at 5000, with mountain wave to 12000!! Needless to ay we had a great time exploring Hobart.

One thing we did lots of is booking small acreages on "Stayz", then call and ask the owner if we could land a heli there. It was never an issue and we met some wonderful locals who welcomed us into there homes.

We were lucky that we had a ground support vehicle following us with fuel but there are ways to get fuel where you need it. Strahan seaplanes let us stay on their wharf and sold us fuel, sure you might pay more but that's part of adventure travel. On my last trip I had to get 400L @ $3.85 (ex GST) ....it was worth every cent!

Feel free to contact me on matt@productions.net.au if you want more info.

Here a link to the pics if others haven't seen them.

http://matthewquinlan.smugmug.com/2011/Tasmania/16851825_XZcjF6

Cheers
Matt
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Mon Oct 8 2012, 02:56

Beautiful photography of TAS, Matt.

Check out:
http://cassidyphotography.net and http://www.flickr.com/cassidyphotography
Never take "No" for an answer.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Mon Oct 8 2012, 03:11

G'day everyone,

Thanks for the various advice.

Amazing pics Matt, and some good information. I have also sent you an email.

It all looks great, I am keen to leave now...but back to work thanks !

Arrrj
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Tue Dec 18 2012, 08:02

G'day Matt and others who helped,

We had a fantastic week in Tassie, flying a 44 and a 66 around. Our photos are OK, but nothing to match the pro's (i.e. you Matt).

On that note Matt, can you please take some shots of how you mounted the Go Pro's (3 of them I think ?) in your 44, so that we can do the same.

Southern Tassie and the North West were amazing, no one around and spectacular scenery. I highly recommend the trip to anyone who would like to enjoy a relatively unexplored part of Aus.

Arrrj

Return to “Bladeslapper Suggestions (and gripes)”