Regulatory requirements for scenic flights in small aircraft

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Regulatory requirements for scenic flights in small aircraft

Postby CYHeli » Fri Jan 23 2015, 08:37

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Groundloop
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Regulatory requirements for scenic flights in small airc

Postby Groundloop » Fri Jan 23 2015, 09:13

Well that's timely - I was just about to embark on the whole AOC / Ops Manual / SMS saga for a one-machine scenic operation!
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Fri Jan 23 2015, 09:22

CY,

Glad to see you picked this up from 'over there' :wink:

We need to make submissions by 29th March and make sure that CASA get the message loud and clear that 5 pax limit is both impractical and financially restricting.

With the number of EC130s, LongRanger and B407s available to take up to 7/8 pax they deserve to be included in this. Also an odd number is a PITA commercially as you either go with an empty seat or have to split a travelling couple who want to remain together on their scenic flight.

Why on earth they then stipulate a 3,175kg MAUW is a mystery, too :roll:
Hawkeye68
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hawkeye68 » Fri Jan 23 2015, 11:23

Groundloop, I too was just starting the AOC process. Very timely indeed. :D
chocolate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chocolate » Sat Jan 24 2015, 03:11

Groundloop wrote:Well that's timely - I was just about to embark on the whole AOC / Ops Manual / SMS saga for a one-machine scenic operation!

You better read the fine print. Casa bosses couldn't help themselves. No doubt this will be reviewed and approved by casa at their usual pace and to fro at $185 per hour. P 13. "...Will be required to have an operations manual that includes a hazard and risk identification and management plan. ". There is currently no template for this. MAAT update would be years away. And in no way could MAAT be called a simple to use tool.

The naysayers have also slipped in that this will be an "-authorisation" instead of the original proposal of online registration only.

(For the casa readers here. Mick, Thanks for trying to get a simple low cost scenic flights in small aircraft in place. Your bosses lost sight if the 'simple' part of the intent of this project. )
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sat Jan 24 2015, 10:31

I'm a little surprised that they would only permit single engine helicopter operations. Without getting into the single vs twin argument it just seems illogical to restrict operations to singles.
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Sat Jan 24 2015, 20:42

Capt Hollywood wrote:I'm a little surprised that they would only permit single engine helicopter operations. Without getting into the single vs twin argument it just seems illogical to restrict operations to singles.

Especially as the proposal allows multi engine FW?
Hueyman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Regulatory requirements for scenic flights in small aircraft

Postby Hueyman » Fri Jul 17 2015, 06:51

cant get page to load.
charlie don't surf! (c:_ol
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Fri Jul 17 2015, 22:09

What is MAAT?
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Fri Jul 17 2015, 22:42

....Maat or Ma'at was the ancient Egyptian concept of truth, balance, order, law, morality, and justice. Maat was also personified as a goddess regulating the stars, and set the order of the universe from chaos at the moment of creation....

So nothing to do with CASA then who created chaos from it's creation :lol:
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Jul 17 2015, 23:06

Heli, I see your point about the 407's and 130's, but most companies operating that size helicopter here would use it for other tasks as well as scenic flights and will therefore require an AOC. Given that, would they need this new approval.
And the 3175kg limit would be aeroplane based, not helicopter. They NEVER take us into account fully, it's always written for fixed wing and we get added as a side issue.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Sun Jul 19 2015, 12:12

Thank you Sauce Pan.

Since I have yet to see a Goddess swaddled in CASA livery, any chance of being able to explain the source of the acronym as pertaining to something more earthly, if indeed CASA is?

RD
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sun Jul 19 2015, 23:04

MAAT - (Ops) Manual Authoring and Assessment Tool.
There is a link on the CASA website that is designed to provide a number of proforma chapters for Ops Manuals. As most of us know, there are only so many ways to write an Ops Manual, so the generic options are there for a CP to select what he/she needs to build or amend an Ops Manual.

They hit submit after compiling an Ops Manual and the FOI then examines it on line and all historical versions are always there. As it is a generic option, the authorisation process should be quicker.

It is horribly behind the real world and when I ask when the Part 141 (simple) flight training will be on line, they don't know due the rate that rules are changing or being fixed.

In theory it is a great idea.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Mon Jul 20 2015, 22:47

Thanks CY.

Return to “CASA”