Industry meeting 17 Dec 2014

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Industry meeting 17 Dec 2014

Postby CYHeli » Wed Dec 17 2014, 23:11

On the 17th December, Peter Crook the AHIA President and myself attended a meeting at Aviation House in Canberra.
The meeting was called by CASA and a number of industry associations were invited to give Part 61, 141, 142 post implementation feedback. The meeting was opened by Mark Skidmore who expressed that he was there in a listening mode only as he has not yet taken up the position formally. There were also heads and major players from many CASA departments present and it was clear from the outset that they were there to take note of what we had to say, like it or not! Having said that, it was a very polite and helpful meeting.

The format of the meeting was that each of the industry invitees were given five (5) minutes to list the major points of concern that they held. (There was a request prior to the meeting to provide a detailed email list). We then broke for a coffee and then discussed the list in more detail with CASA the opportunity to come up with solutions.

The major points that I made were;
- The whole premise of the new legislation is reliant upon FE's, and CASA should have created the FE course first and provided a final copy of the Part 61 to industry with a caveat. You have two years before this comes in, make note of what your FE needs are and get them qualified now. Then run loads of courses and later roll out Part 61. Obviously that didn't happen, so now they need to roll it back. It will not go back to CAR 5, but an instrument is being examined that will allow Grade 1 instructors and C&T pilots who previously issued aircraft endorsements to be allowed to conduct the endorsement training and the issue of a type or class rating. I also suggested that some operational ratings, such as low level also be included.

- Aligned with the lack of ATO's / FE's, I requested that a list of every aircraft type be created with a corresponding list of ATO's qualified to conduct tests on that aircraft type. It can be done and a previously list did exist. As Mr Skidmore commented, we can produce a list of DAME's, why not ATO's. Then a pilot needing a flight test can look up the list and know who to book in. I also commented that they will need a plan when they find a type without an ATO qualified.

- Information flow and the use of Grapevine was very poor. Mr Skidmore was not aware that 3 Safety Advisors had been made redundant this year, just when we need need more education, they take away the teachers! I also made a point that within CASA the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing and their education needs to be internal before they take it on the road. There is no consistency of advice.

- The MOS needs more work and the process of changing and reviewing the MOS needs to be more stream lined. The expected changes to the MOS will not be out until January or February.

There was plenty of agreement with all parties and it was interesting to hear from the Qantas and Virgin guys how they are just as hamstrung by the system as GA is. We all made similar lists in different ways and all of them effected costs.

There is still more work to be done and when we walked away there was no change to legislation or new instruments issued on the spot. That was never going to happen. But we have some structure and have identified some things to move us forward and they will be emailed out for us to review before changes are made.

On another note, the instrument varying the aircraft types should be out before Christmas. Read the aircraft type instruments carefully. For example an A109 A or C training can be done by a Part 141 operator, but an AW109S, etc must be done by a Part 142 operator as the aircraft is considered more complex. If a school or organisation was already conducting that training before Sept and had an approved course, then they continue to teach it under Part 202, continuing authorisations. They are in effect a Part 142 school.

Finally, the question has been asked what is the point of being a member of the AHIA. Here is my answer. Because it funds a number of things, not least of all for me to go to this meeting and raise issues with CASA and get a meeting with the incoming Director. The AHIA has the respect of the regulator and they are listening. They also answer my questions quickly, which is very important to business. The wheels turn slowly, but they are turning.

The other associations out there are also pushing their barrows, but Qantas and Virgin have different needs to us. Phil at the Aerial Ag has some overlap with what we do. but is not going to represent a Helicopter Flight School or EMS, that's not his job. That's the interest of the AHIA. The volunteers that have stepped in to their roles have accepted the responsibility to represent our industry. We don't travel business class and we don't stay in the best accommodation, but it does cost money for us to get around. We couldn't afford to do it without your help. For those who are not members, you will still reap the benefits of our work, but imagine what else we could do if there was more in the kitty.

Enjoy Christmas and there is some hope on the horizon.
Colin Clarke
Legislative Change Officer,
AHIA.
CASR @ Austhia.com
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
BigHuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Industry meeting 17 Dec 2014

Postby BigHuey » Thu Dec 18 2014, 01:47

Thanks for the update mate, appreciate all the work that is going on behind the scenes.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Dec 18 2014, 02:42

Yes, thanks to AHAI, (I am a member) and you and for the update.
Good to see that may be some movement towards a more understandable Part 61 even if it's still an unwieldy document not written for us but for lawyers and the like.
I did think that it was supposed to be about improving safety, but I was wrong. It just looks to be confusing most issues.
The education prior to implementation was non existent. Yes there was stuff in the casa web page, but not everybody sits around looking at their computer. I don't remember receiving one piece of material in the mail on the Part 61, 141, 142 changes. Not one sheet of paper. And it's not like they don't know my postal address, I still get plenty of mail from the authority (some of it not actually wanted.......). Seminars were held at a number of places, but only once in each place that I can remember. I don't work 9-5, I'm all over the place and on short notice and I just didn't get the opportunity to go to any.
So far nothing but negative, but I'm not 100% against the new stuff. There are a number of things that I think were way overdue. I just don't understand it and don't have the time to spend hours flicking backward and forward in a 500 odd page document to try to make any sense of it. It's far too easy for me to just ignore it.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Postby Master Cylinder » Thu Dec 18 2014, 02:53

Col,

Very well written post and very informative...thanks for all your hard work.

Keep it up.

Happy holidays to you and the family.

MC
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Thu Dec 18 2014, 07:58

Col, great work. There is a higher calling for you in CASA. Head of helicopter operations for starters..

In between flying jobs of course....
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Dec 18 2014, 08:42

Thank you gents
BP, I think I can active more for the industry from out here than inside CASA, but I will earn a whole lot less.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
flyboy111111
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyboy111111 » Thu Dec 18 2014, 10:02

Col,
You have taken onboard a task that is largely thankless to the masses and certainly dosnt rain cash into your wallet.
However it is noted by many, and when the time comes for support where ever you end up, the many will back you if you maintain the dedication and integrity that you have now.
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Thu Dec 18 2014, 10:07

Keep up the good work Col. It's a long and frustrating road you and the AHIA have taken - but I believe well worth it.

We may not get all of the things we want - but without a representative of the industry, we'll get none. For those who look at the regs and shrug their shoulders hoping it'll all go away (she'll be right mate) - something will bite ... really, really hard - it's only then that you will really appreciate the effort in just deciphering the subtle difficulties that lie within Part 61 that Col has worked through.

and .. this is just the first instalment !! If you think it doesn't effect you - just wait for the other parts to be released. If the AHIA has some wins on our behalf now - we may (hopefully) reap the rewards of 'actual' industry consultation in the next round.

If you think the cost of AHIA membership is high - then wait until your next type rating (requiring an FE/ATO test), type renewal (all your 'endorsed' twins at a school who happens to have them on their AOC), step up to IF rating (without the co-pilot route anymore), ATPL (flight test). $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

p.s. I think it's appalling that the cross-industry representatives had only 5 minutes to plead their cases from the MASSIVE changes hurled our way.
UAT
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby UAT » Thu Dec 18 2014, 11:07

Hi Col, Thanks for the post, well written and great information... As a side note, I tried to sign up for the AHIA, but at the payment confirmation, when selecting PayPal it continues to Step 3, but when confirming the order, you go back to Step 2... Cheers

Return to “CASA”