Flight Tests

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Flight Tests

Postby CYHeli » Tue Nov 25 2014, 01:03

I have had some discussions recently with various people in the industry and I thought I would mention this.
There are a number of exemptions and instruments kicking around regarding flight tests and who can do them.

As a rule of thumb, if you could conduct flight tests before 1st September for a pilot licence or rating (Night, Instrument, Instructor...) then you can conduct one now.

Some examples,
an instructor works in a remote location and obtains a delegation under CAR 5.23 to fix sticky strips to a logbook after conducting an aircraft endorsement.
The approvals under CAR 5.23 are not listed in the ATO / FTE transition instrument (243/14), so this instructor cannot conduct a Type Rating flight test today.
Issuing an aircraft endorsement before September is not the same as conducting a flight test for a Type rating today.

The same might be for an instructor who conducted low level training in the past and endorsed a logbook with that training, or a mustering pilot who was an approved person under CAR 5.20 / CAO 29.10, paragraph 12.

Unless that instructor held an approval under CAR 5.41 (4)
(4) CASA may set and conduct the following flight tests:
(a) commercial pilot (aeroplane) licence flight test;
(b) commercial pilot (airship) licence flight test;
(c) commercial pilot (balloon) licence flight test;
(d) commercial pilot (gyroplane) licence flight test;
(e) commercial pilot (helicopter) licence flight test;
(f) flight engineer flight test;
(g) general flying progress flight test;
(h) private pilot (aeroplane) licence flight test;
(i) private pilot (gyroplane) licence flight test;
(j) private pilot (helicopter) licence flight test;
(k) multi-crew pilot (aeroplane) licence flight test.

or an approval under CAR 5.19 (3)
(3) CASA may conduct the flight tests in relation to a flight crew rating, or grade of flight crew rating, that are required by the Civil Aviation Orders.

You can't conduct a flight test.

The devil is in the detail and I am worried that some people might have done the wrong thing due to misunderstandings.
If you have, go see your local FOI and get it sorted.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Flight Tests

Postby Capt Hollywood » Tue Nov 25 2014, 12:08

I can guarantee there will be people unwittingly doing the wrong thing because very few people seem to understand the new system!!
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue Nov 25 2014, 21:18

I fully agree and asked staff from CASA yesterday to issue plain language instruments. Up until now, their belief was that any pilot who has received an instrument should be able to read and see if it is issued under CAR 5.19, 5.20, 5.23, 5.41, etc. if the pilot can't figure that out and then apply the new instrument...
With so many test variables now, I believe CASA should have issued the Examiner licences first, if not at least a Part 61 approvals list, that details the actual items, in plain language, not an instrument.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Nov 25 2014, 22:00

Still nothing in the media about the problems with Part 61, 141,142.
I doubt anybody outside of the aviation industry has any clue as to what a serious puck up this has been.
casa will continue to stand at the back of the room mumbling to its self that it all makes sense to them even though it doesn't.
Is the aeroplane industry having the same problems we are?????
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Wed Nov 26 2014, 00:45

Is the aeroplane industry having the same problems we are?????

Having seen emails from representatives from other organisations, Yes.
No one is happy, but they are doing their best to make it work, just like we are.

For those who don't know there is a group called THE AUSTRALIAN AVIATION ASSOCIATIONS FORUM (TAAAF)
TAAAF is the umbrella organisation providing a forum for all of Australia's aviation industry associations to meet regularly on an informal basis to identify and discuss common issues of an operational and regulatory nature. Almost every significant aviation-related association is a member and TAAAF functions on a non-partisan, apolitical basis to advance and promote all Australian aviation interests without in any way impinging on their sectorial independence.

TAAAF are attempting to influence CASA in regards to the new rules and it is hoped that a way forward may present itself once the new DAS, Mr Skidmore takes up his role formally in the new year.

As a member of TAAAF, the AHIA board are regularly communicating our frustrations of the new suite of regulations, some already here and some looming on the horizon.
TAAAF collate the frustrations and present a common voice to CASA.

There is progress, hence why the media are not being involved. Everyone is trying to act in good faith.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Wed Nov 26 2014, 01:01

I was told yesterday by a CASA employee that a "CASA Delegate" could conduct an ATPL H flight test...

Is this true? and if so are they affiliated with any flight schools?

Furthermore, If you completed a block of Exams for a particular license under the old system but now have to do a Flight test under the new system (because of some major (insert choice expletive) CASA bureaucracy) how long until the Exams expire??? or are they no longer valid because of the new PART 61 exams?

Thanks in advance....

BTW... I can categorically tell you that I very highly doubt that you will see many foreign pilots coming to Australia in the future due to the current debacle that is CASA.

The (frustrated) yank
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
oei
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby oei » Wed Nov 26 2014, 01:53

Yankee wrote:BTW... I can categorically tell you that I very highly doubt that you will see many foreign pilots coming to Australia in the future due to the current debacle that is CASA.

So CASA has got something right after all :D

A CASA delegate can conduct the test...they just haven't been approved by CASA yet

if you have completed the block of exams in full, they don't expire....Just a question if you had completed the exams..why didn't you apply for the licence ?
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Nov 26 2014, 03:14

Everyone is trying to act in good faith.[/quote]

It's a bloody shame the other side haven't bothered with any "good faith"
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Wed Nov 26 2014, 03:28

Yankee wrote:if you have completed the block of exams in full, they don't expire....Just a question if you had completed the exams..why didn't you apply for the licence ?

I did apply for the license. It was rejected because I didn't have a letter from an employer, also my foreign license does not contain photo identification. .. And then my entire application was "Lost in the mail"

The outcome is (as my mother told me) things happen for a reason. Just maybe I'm not supposed to get my CASA license just yet.

One things for sure, I'll need at least one more trip to Australia!

Yank.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
oei
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby oei » Wed Nov 26 2014, 05:17

Yankee wrote:also my foreign license does not contain photo identification. .. And then my entire application was "Lost in the mail"

Neither does the Part 61 licence , I don't send anything anymore via mail, its done via email ...also they don't accept scanned copies of original docs, but they will accept a certified copies via email :?:
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Wed Nov 26 2014, 09:57

oei wrote:
Yankee wrote:also my foreign license does not contain photo identification. .. And then my entire application was "Lost in the mail"

Neither does the Part 61 licence , I don't send anything anymore via mail, its done via email ...also they don't accept scanned copies of original docs, but they will accept a certified copies via email :?:

Yes. But I got tripped up by assuming that CASA would accept documents certified by a Justice of the peace.... to which I complied with and then later found out that it must be signed by an Australian JP.... kinda hard to do when you're 10, 000 miles from Australia. Recently ive discovered that an Australian DAME can certify or someone at the Australian consulate.

There are lots of other issues that make it difficult for a foreign pilot. I could go on but at this point ive decided to push the process to the back burner until the new system has worked out its kinks somewhat.

Return to “CASA”