CASA - Are they doing a good enough job ?

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
Knox Form
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: CASA - Are they doing a good enough job ?

Postby Knox Form » Fri Apr 26 2013, 04:12

Banjo-Kazooie wrote:
harold wrote:Banjo, problem with your logic is the person HIP is referring to actually stole a helicopter and then hid it away for some questionable use at a later stage! One does wonder how such a person could actually qualify for an ASIC let alone the consideration that he should have lost his licence under the fit and proper person provisions?

1) That's not a problem with "my" logic. If HIP has a particular event in mind he ought to say so, rather than make ridiculous blanket statements like "No-one with a criminal record should be able to get an ASIC!" If he had his way, I reckon a good 25% of the pilots in Australia would not be able to get an ASIC, due to drink driving or excessive speeding offences.

2) The "fit and proper person" issue has absolutely nothing to do with an ASIC and is therefore irrelevant in this thread.

Face it: this is Australia. - Half the country has a criminal record...

What was that about making Blanket Statements...?
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby harold » Fri Apr 26 2013, 04:24

Banjo; that is the point exactly! Under the fit and proper persons provisions, the licence should have been cancelled in this particular case therefore the ASIC would then be a moot point!
Banjo-Kazooie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Banjo-Kazooie » Fri Apr 26 2013, 08:50

Knox Form wrote:What was that about making Blanket Statements...?

Hey, what's good for the goose....

harold wrote:Banjo; that is the point exactly! Under the fit and proper persons provisions, the licence should have been cancelled in this particular case therefore the ASIC would then be a moot point!

Nope. One can hold an ASIC independently of a pilot license. The two are not related in any way.
In any case, if CASA decided that the person in question was still able to hold a license, I'm going to assume that they had their reasons.
Coriolis
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Coriolis » Sat Apr 27 2013, 01:19

Banjo, not irrelevant at all....if he didn't have a licence he would have no requirement for an ASIC.....unless of course he wrangled a job selling coffee in the terminal!
Life is like a ferris wheel;
Some days your on the top,
some days your on the botton!
Banjo-Kazooie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Banjo-Kazooie » Sat Apr 27 2013, 03:37

Coriolis wrote:if he didn't have a licence he would have no requirement for an ASIC.....unless of course he wrangled a job selling coffee in the terminal!

Exactly. You have just reiterated my statement. - An ASIC and a pilot license do not necessarily go hand in hand. One can hold a license without an ASIC and one can hold an ASIC for reasons other than a PPL/CPL.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Fri Feb 7 2014, 18:55

How does one complain about 'service standards' of CASA?

Coming up to 2.5 months of being in limbo, regarding FI conversion in my case and everytime they're called or emailed, *it is being forwarded/given to relevant technical person*, yet I wait and wait.
Gr1 friend said to talk to FOI or team leader. Or maybe the technical person never gets to see the 'case'.

So far, had better service regarding licensing enquiries in two European countries (Not UK) and FAA. Yes, UK and few European countries charge a lot for paperwork/exams/flight tests, but comparing to Australia, not so wild difference.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to wait out the Part 61 changeover, if the 'proficiency' conversion/training would be in regs, or look for 'first' jobs with Robbie 500tt/200 as FI. Just no Aussie FI. Or even better, not steal first jobs and only fly in Australia with more experience from elsewhere and do some ground jobs or back to bar/restaurant.
oei
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby oei » Fri Feb 7 2014, 21:56

What's the issue with your instructor rating, there normal easy to convert if you meet the initial issue requirements of the Australian rating ?
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Fri Feb 7 2014, 22:34

Hi CC,

I converted my UK JAR F.I rating last year. No real dramas apart from the initial course but that's another story. The UK course as you're aware is a 30 hour course so I had to make up the other 10 hours to comply with CASA regs. I did this at Aerowasp with Peter Holstein - top guy, great teacher and likes a laugh.

I did my test shortly after and was good to go. However, bear in mind before you can teach, you need to do a check flight with the CFI first. (c:_ol

I wouldn't wait for the Part 61 changeover because you can get a lot done before September, so just go for it.

If you pop in to visit CYHeli, I may well be there too. Good luck.

Saucepan
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Sat Feb 8 2014, 06:16

In limbo because without clear yes/no about some hours 'counting', I can't 'move on'/act. If NO, I'm out of budget, or won't bother flying too much in Australia and get some other useful 'FI training' flying done elsewhere. I'm also told there have been contradicting clarifications about FI rating conversion in past from CASA.

It's all smokes and mirrors regarding dates, although 'FI training', may not be 'approved'. I don't have 30hr JAA FI. No FAA SFAR etc in Australia. Yes, I've started working on my aviation career in 2006, initial 2008, then 3yr wait due funds, wanting to finish off, then few months a year instructing twice past 2 years. Best I could do in circumstances. That's it. Plus fiddling with gliding (to stay sane getting airborne for fun) and airplane instrument in US.

Well, had I got this 'sorted' in July, would find out by Oct/Nov I guess. My first entry to Aus. OR, the Part 61 changeover hadn't been what it is. Either way, did not plan to be so late with everything here in Aus. I spent so much extra (in past to rack more solo time for Easa FI req's then not needing it, as situation changed), that if it wasn't for migrating over and plans for decade, plus other personal stuff, I'd just say ** it and get by in UK or elsewhere.

I'm sick of moaning and waiting.
I've got the pre-PR 18mth work visa ready to be issued, wasting third or more of my 417 visa, which'd mean my conversion during that time may affect employer's view on my viability till I got residence. Not easy to focus on studying theory when I just want to block out/switch off all CASA stuff until knowing more. So for now, back to my highly professional kitten hand shift in North WA, else I burn through my better option budget, too.
droptmcguts
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby droptmcguts » Sat Feb 8 2014, 21:28

Remember the CASA Motto... :D

HERE AT CASA! WE'RE NOT HAPPY

TILL YOUR NOT HAPPY!.....

Says it all really :roll:
Men have only 2 emotional states, hungry and horny.. So ladies, if you see me without an erection, make me a sandwich.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sun Feb 9 2014, 02:11

ASIC.

These things are the bane of my existence.

Why the f**k would somebody working at a coffee/gift shop need to get airside for?? Why!?! So why would they need a security card?

We need to get airside...as pilots...so why doesn't our licence display our need/authority? Is it too easy to forge?

F*****g waste of time and money and paperwork and laws and ink and plastic.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Tue Feb 11 2014, 05:12

I got an email finally. Not what I'd like to 'hear', but that's life. 2hrs after I buy all inclusive calls bolt-on on my prepay SIM in an effort to have something going. Maybe it's been my post here, maybe my last emotional plea made the email arrive where needed, maybe I was in the queue finally after couple reminders. September and/or change of plans it is then.
stratford
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby stratford » Thu Feb 13 2014, 22:24

droptmcguts wrote:Remember the CASA Motto... :D

HERE AT CASA! WE'RE NOT HAPPY

TILL YOUR NOT HAPPY!.....

Says it all really :roll:

No, that's not correct...it's:

TILL YOU'RE NOT HAPPY.

Cheers...
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Fri Feb 14 2014, 01:38

ChicoCheco wrote:maybe I was in the queue finally after couple reminders

Don't think so.
Still "waiting" (got an answer from another source) for an answer on a mail from march... pop;
The only response so far was after a few months: "Did we answered this mail yet?"
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

ASRR, Senate Review and a way forward

Postby up-into-the-air » Thu Mar 20 2014, 15:51

Just lots of problems with casa - AVMED, AOC's, prosecutions etc.

The ASRR [Aviation Safety Regulatory Review] http://vocasupport.com/election/regulatory-review-2013/asrr-submissions/by David forsyth is getting to an end.

Lots of good submissions and we must be vigilant on this and demand the US-FAR's and casa gone, with a proper re-work of the CAAct's, ANO's etc.

There is some good stuff on: http://www.pp..rune.org/8390254-post641.html
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: CP's, asa, casa and atsb - Whereto with PelAir

Postby up-into-the-air » Fri Feb 27 2015, 06:56

Well an interesting night at the senate, on 24th february 2015 - sorry not to take an earlier position.

However, MrDak put in his place, asa exposed, casa's new ceo has an odd take on ridding us of the CVD issue, crashed un-registered staib fire fighting machines and much more.

Power to the Senators!!

and some reading: http://vocasupport.com/senate-estimates-and-casa-air-services/

:cry: :cry:
Capt Slong
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

IREX - part 61

Postby Capt Slong » Mon Mar 2 2015, 00:24

Has part 61 made its way into the IREX exam yet.
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby up-into-the-air » Sun Mar 29 2015, 09:35

No, and the latest is a suite of fee changes by casa, which will further inmpact us:

http://vocasupport.com/casa-seeks-to-impale-new-costs-on-the-aviation-industry/
colby
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby colby » Wed Apr 1 2015, 04:05

Never thought I'd say this but, " Well done CASA" or CLARC I should say.
CASA just passed my AVMED and well before the revalidation period was up AND get this . . . . . . I didn't even have to get on the phone and abuse the heck out of them. First time in some time.
Well done CLARC.
Colby.
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: CASA - The Dam breaks on #CASA

Postby up-into-the-air » Fri Jul 10 2015, 19:24

Well the dam appears to have broken this past week, with a series of articles continuing on in the Australian, together with a major statement by casa Board chair, Jeff Boyd.

The material and links to the relevant articles are here:

http://vocasupport.com/jeff-boyd-assumes-control-over-casa/

Return to “CASA”